Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Your Favorite Guitar/Guitarist's Tones...

CRobi21

[quote=zoony Strat > Les Paul in every conceivable way. :D

Don't go spoil it by sayin something stoopid!

I'm willing to bet that 95% of the music you hear you couldn't identify one from the other. I'm not going to argue the merits of single coil over humbucker but lets just say that the quality of the sound has far, far more to do with who's playing the guitar than how it's wired. savi?

That being said, I came of age adoring Hendrix and SRV & Gilmore are gods in my eyes. All ardent Strat users although Hendrix also used a Flying Vee from time to time (humbuckers).

At this time I would like to give a shout out to one of Englands finest never to make it big in America: Bill Nelson.

The tone he creates in his solo on Crying to the Sky from the 1975 album Sunburst Finish is monstrous. It's deep, fat and dripping in distortion. The entire 45 second solo is played on the edge of feedback. It is the type of sound that you feel in your stomach just as clearly as you hear it with your ears. It's the type of sound that could only be made on a guitar with humbucker pickups. A Gibson 335 to be precise.

Epic!

:helmet:

For you zoony.

Band of Gypsys, Jimi:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TV74PsUo1dc&feature=related

**** that makes you close your eyes and just shake your head.

Good call, man. I didn't even know film existed of that. I have at least two different versions of the album, know it by heart for sure. Best live album of all time. :2cents:

Jimi's tone on Burning of the Midnight Lamp is killer, too. I think it was the first song he used wah-wah on. There is what sounds like a mandolin in there, but is actually Jimi playing guitar that was recorded at slow speed and played back at regular speed to change the sound. Another thing that probably affected his tone was playing his Strat upside-down; it's designed for a right-handed player but Jimi was a lefty, so he just flipped it around and re-strung the strings in reverse order. I'm sure most of the people drawn to this thread already knew that, though.

I've heard a ton of stories about him using stuff laying around to pick with or put between the strings and pickups to alter the tone. One in particular where he took a comb and a piece of cellophane and put it between the strings/pickups. Also heard about him being able to get tones/effects with his fingers alone that other guys needed pedals to get. Kinda wonder how much is true and what's legend...

Anyway, outside of Jimi, I've always dug the sound Billy Gibbons gets from his axe, mostly Les Pauls. He tends to use a quarter or a peso instead of a pick. Pretty unique.

I'm willing to bet that 95% of the music you hear you couldn't identify one from the other. I'm not going to argue the merits of single coil over humbucker but lets just say that the quality of the sound has far, far more to do with who's playing the guitar than how it's wired. savi?

The only thing Gibsons have going for them is that they are made in Tennessee :D

But sorry, there is a wail that comes out of a strat that just isn't possible with a LP (at least I've never heard it). It cuts straight thru me

True statement. I'm not aware if you have looked or made aware of Eddie van halens set up. It's pretty much bare bones. Yet the sound he gets is amazing.

The only thing Gibsons have going for them is that they are made in Tennessee :D

But sorry, there is a wail that comes out of a strat that just isn't possible with a LP (at least I've never heard it). It cuts straight thru me

Absolutely no doubt the Strat is a phenominal instrament in the hands of a master. You don't have to look any further than Gilmore's work with Floyd to appreciate the "wail", to use your words, that can be wrung from the thing.

But Gibson's, and the Les Paul specifically, have far too much going for them to be dismissed so easily. There is a power, majesty and un-godly sustain that can only come from a solid, 8-lb chunk of mahogany with humbuckers bolted to it that a 5-lb slice of alder with single coils cannot hope to match!

The Les Paul is a muscle car!

It's also a thing of true beauty! The Strat maybe pretty when she's all dressed up but the les Paul,... that is art!

... just one mans opinion.

:helmet:

LesPaul.jpg

Archived