Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Jason Taylor back to the Dolphins?

NoleSkin21

The day the news broke on the signing of Taylor, this board accepted it. I'll say about 85% of the fans did. Some didn't. Now, its a different story. See, it is easy now. Nobody had any idea that Taylor would be hurt for most of the season. It doesn't matter anymore.

85% of the people? I think you're seriously reaching here.

So he publicly admits hes not worth 8 million dollars but won't take a pay cut.. what a piece of ****.

Oh he'll take a paycut... just not to play for us.

#1. He wants to play in a scheme that he actually fits in.

#2. He wants to win.

Can't do either of those things here.

That's not true, there were some people that didn't think it was a good idea. I was on the fence personally and thought it was unnecessary. Regardless, it clearly doesn't matter at this point. It was a bad fit and a failed experiment for the time being. Hopefully it doesn't get any worse.

This is correct. we should've just rode-it-out with what we had pre-trade. Of course, hindsight makes experts out of all of us, but, with the scheme Blache operated Taylor in, he was doomed from the get-go; he never stood a chance. Blache likes the big heavies, the space-eaters on his front and not the lean speed rushers.

If Taylor hadn't been injured in the freak preseason manner that he was, the headless chicken littles on this board would be petitioning Vincenzo to get him an extension on his contract.

You people are amazing. And by amazing I mean dont-1.gif

I would argue that "you people" are amazing.

HAVE YOU BEEN WATCHING THIS TEAM FOR THE PAST DECADE?!?!?! CAN YOU NOT SEE HOW INCOMPETENT WE HAVE BEEN?!?!?!?

This is just one of at least 25 horrible, horrible, horrible moves.

From a PR and marketing stand point it was the perfect move at the time. Which is pretty much how decisions for this team are made.

Anything is possible before the season starts. Vinny and Danny gave us all a little bit of hope that the season wasn't shot before it began.

I would argue that "you people" are amazing.

HAVE YOU BEEN WATCHING THIS TEAM FOR THE PAST DECADE?!?!?! CAN YOU NOT SEE HOW INCOMPETENT WE HAVE BEEN?!?!?!?

This is just one of at least 25 horrible, horrible, horrible moves.

So that's supposed to make revisionist history and operating in hindsight ok? Why don't you use some of those "25 horrible, horrible" moves to bash Vinny then? You said no at the time, and I can understand why. I didn't vote on the poll because I had adopted a "wait and see" approach mostly cuz I wasn't sure how well JT would hold up as a LE and against the run, and I wasn't excited either that we gave up a 2nd. However, Oldskool was refferring to the people on here bashing Vinny when the majority, as evidenced by the resurrected poll thread, liked the move at the time, mostly because it was supposed to bolster our pass rush. However, Taylor gets injured and doesn't play well, and Vinny gets the full blame for that. Being critical of someone means being legitimate and fair, and that simply isn't. Why is it I never see any of you bring up the good moves, just the bad?

who said the Skins were a DE away from the Super Bowl?

Name the DE that was better in the 2nd round.

There's no reason to pay eight figures for a guy who will be around for two seasons at the most unless you're thinking that you can make a real run.

We had Wilson, Jackson, and Evans as backups to Daniels.

We traded THIS YEAR's second-rounder, not last year's, so that it irrelevant.

So that's supposed to make revisionist history and operating in hindsight ok? Why don't you use some of those "25 horrible, horrible" moves to bash Vinny then? You said no at the time, and I can understand why. I didn't vote on the poll because I had adopted a "wait and see" approach mostly cuz I wasn't sure how well JT would hold up as a LE and against the run, and I wasn't excited either that we gave up a 2nd. However, Oldskool was refferring to the people on here bashing Vinny when the majority, as evidenced by the resurrected poll thread, liked the move at the time, mostly because it was supposed to bolster our pass rush. However, Taylor gets injured and doesn't play well, and Vinny gets the full blame for that. Being critical of someone means being legitimate and fair, and that simply isn't. Why is it I never see any of you bring up the good moves, just the bad?

I wouldn't care if Taylor played well, honestly. We gave up WAY too much for him. A defensive end who is not going to be here for that long is NOT worth a second-round pick unless he magically wins us the Super Bowl all by his lonesome.

That is the goal, every year, win the Super Bowl. A second-round pick gives us a much better shot at moving towards that goal, given the cap space, the ability to train him in OUR system (again, going from RE in a 3-4 to to a LE in a 4-3), and just the fact that players want to play for the team that wants them the most.

Why is it I never see any of you bring up the good moves, just the bad?

I don't blame Vinny for the injuries that Taylor sustained, but he has to be blamed if Taylor leaves out the door this offseason and was a one year rental for a 2nd and 7th.

I wouldn't care if Taylor played well, honestly. We gave up WAY too much for him. A defensive end who is not going to be here for that long is NOT worth a second-round pick unless he magically wins us the Super Bowl all by his lonesome.

That is the goal, every year, win the Super Bowl. A second-round pick gives us a much better shot at moving towards that goal, given the cap space, the ability to train him in OUR system (again, going from RE in a 3-4 to to a LE in a 4-3), and just the fact that players want to play for the team that wants them the most.

If he had helped us get to the Superbowl I wouldn't have had a problem, cuz the philosophy behind the trade would have been legitimized. I didn't have a problem with Taylor's age given his injury history, or lack thereof. I refrained from voting in the JT poll, like I said, because he was going to a new system, playing on a different side, and his run-stopping leaves a lot to be desired, and he was filling a run-stopping position. I thought a 2nd was too much also, but Taylor's name assured he wasn't likely going for less than a 2nd unless it was at the trade deadline, and then you are talking 3rd and 4th likely. However, we did need to bolster the pass rush, and Vinny was probably already then thinking of trading from the low 1st into the 2nd in the '09 draft like he was in '08. Still, I wasn't excited about the 2nd, but at the time would you have been happy with Evans? And if memory serves there weren't many, if any, other DEs who likely would have fared any better than Evans. Injury brought about the trade though, and I'd rather it be relegated to desperation-only moves, rather than routine moves like before.

I remember when the trade happend - everyone was wow this will put us over the top. I hate alot of what Vinny does but you cannot blame him for the failure of Taylor last season. We lost two DE's on the first day of camp for the season - remember that?

Tom

We needed a DE,sadly the one we got was injured from the Carolina game on.He had stayed relatively injury free before coming here.

He will probably go to another team and be a situational rusher and not an every down player,and we lose another one of our picks.

The Redskins have failed to upgrade the defensive line through a significant signing - or a first-day draft choice - for much of this decade, an issue since 2004, when Joe Gibbs took over. Evans is the only experienced end who provides depth, with youngsters Chris Wilson and Alex Buzbee now with the second team. Both lack the size and heft to be every-down ends at this point in their career.

It is one of the thinest spots on the roster, and a reason why some rival execs were shocked the Redskins did not use one of their high picks on the position in the last few drafts. Daniels has been injury-prone much of his career, and this injury was somewhat freakish, as bodies ended up tangled at the line of scrimmage after the snap.

Daniels is a versatile veteran, who has played increasingly as a tackle in recent years, with his legs slowing but his upper-body still powerful. He is entering his 13th season.

- 7/20/2008

"Skins $9 million under the cap - Jason Taylor's contract - $8.1 million. Please, please, please skins do not give up the farm for Taylor. Ugh."

Posted by: tyler durden | July 20, 2008 2:35 PM

I don't know about the 85% on this forum, but these 2 guys would be an upgrade to our FO.

None of the Vincent Cerrato backers are answering my questions on how exactly J Taylor an aging, slight bodied, speed rushing RDE was supposed to replace the Stout, pass-lane filling, run-stopping first LDE role Daniels plays?

I guess that is all hindsight 20/20 stuff to them... nothing to learn from this mistake for them, simply all who could have known type stuff... Amazing...

What is wrong with you DAN SNYDER?...While you were becoming a VERY WEALTHY man ..would you have excepted the level of incompetence that Vinnie has shown..UNLESS..YOU are the one making the calls...which is really what is going on..so as long as you continue to try and play GM the SKINS will continue to take ONE STEP FORWARD AND TWO BACK...

However, Oldskool was refferring to the people on here bashing Vinny when the majority, as evidenced by the resurrected poll thread, liked the move at the time, mostly because it was supposed to bolster our pass rush. However, Taylor gets injured and doesn't play well, and Vinny gets the full blame for that. Being critical of someone means being legitimate and fair, and that simply isn't. Why is it I never see any of you bring up the good moves, just the bad?

Good lord, someone finally gets it. Give yourself the rest of the day off. :D

You can bash Vincenzo all you want but at least try to drape your idiocies in a shroud of logic. :doh:

2nd and a 6th was alot to give up for Taylor and perhaps something that could have been thought through more thoroughly by the FO. Either way, we were screwed with or without Taylor.

And you cannot logically say that Taylor was a bad pickup simply on a player level because of the freak injury that he sustained. Our own trainer, Bubba Tyer, said "it was the first such injury he's had in his 37 seasons with the Redskins. Tyer said there were five similar injuries league-wide in the past six to eight years."

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/10993661

If he had helped us get to the Superbowl I wouldn't have had a problem, cuz the philosophy behind the trade would have been legitimized. I didn't have a problem with Taylor's age given his injury history, or lack thereof. I refrained from voting in the JT poll, like I said, because he was going to a new system, playing on a different side, and his run-stopping leaves a lot to be desired, and he was filling a run-stopping position. I thought a 2nd was too much also, but Taylor's name assured he wasn't likely going for less than a 2nd unless it was at the trade deadline, and then you are talking 3rd and 4th likely. However, we did need to bolster the pass rush, and Vinny was probably already then thinking of trading from the low 1st into the 2nd in the '09 draft like he was in '08. Still, I wasn't excited about the 2nd, but at the time would you have been happy with Evans? And if memory serves there weren't many, if any, other DEs who likely would have fared any better than Evans. Injury brought about the trade though, and I'd rather it be relegated to desperation-only moves, rather than routine moves like before.

A bargain is not a bargain unless you really need it. We had three backups. We did not need Taylor.

Your reasoning makes a lot of sense, though. We just don't agree.

Good lord, someone finally gets it. Give yourself the rest of the day off. :D

You can bash Vincenzo all you want but at least try to drape your idiocies in a shroud of logic. :doh:

2nd and a 6th was alot to give up for Taylor and perhaps something that could have been thought through more thoroughly by the FO. Either way, we were screwed with or without Taylor.

And you cannot logically say that Taylor was a bad pickup simply on a player level because of the freak injury that he sustained. Our own trainer, Bubba Tyer, said "it was the first such injury he's had in his 37 seasons with the Redskins. Tyer said there were five similar injuries league-wide in the past six to eight years."

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/10993661

Well, as I've said, I feel that it was a waste either way. He's old (not out of injury concerns but out of long-term return on investment), he hasn't played in our system or one like it, and we DID have backups.

Well, as I've said, I feel that it was a waste either way. He's old (not out of injury concerns but out of long-term return on investment), he hasn't played in our system or one like it, and we DID have backups.

If by backups, you mean undersized DT's mascaraing as a Defensive End, then sure you're right.

Again, we were screwed with or without Taylor at LDE last year. Tuna knew it and gave Vinny the toe tap.

If by backups, you mean undersized DT's mascaraing as a Defensive End, then sure you're right.

Again, we were screwed with or without Taylor at LDE last year. Tuna knew it and gave Vinny the toe tap.

Exactly, I'd rather be screwed without him.

And Taylor isn't exactly a behemoth who belongs at left end.

And I STILL want to see what Wilson can do in a starting position. He had four sacks in two games last year, and I want to see him do more.

Archived