Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFL starting to get noticed down under

ozskin

The punter for the Cardinals, Ben Graham, will be the first Australian to play in the superbowl. The media isnt going over the top about it (he is just a punter) but they are actually paying some attention to this, which is very rare for them to do. The NFL get's little to no coverage in the regular media, so It's great that something like this could help propel the NFL in to the mainstream. It will hopefully get better coverage for the few hardcore NFL fans down here.

On a side note, the Aussie rules team that Ben captained for many years, the Geelong Cats, finally won a Chamionship 2 years after he left. Hopefully the Cards can get up to make up for that.

24aussie.jpg0,,6446837,00.jpg

Ben during his AFL career. Ben with fellow Aussie Sav Rocca

It's getting SOME attention...pretty much all of my staff know about it and some even know the team names and the positions they played.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,,24977058-11088,00.html

Sadly, the typical sports fan here in Australia is force fed Rugby League, Rugby Union and AFL (Aussie Rules) and let me put it this way, they're dull sports for dull people.

and I just noticed you're an Aussie too, so I'm preaching to the converted

LOL

Darren Bennett did well though, just no SB for him.

Sadly, the typical sports fan here in Australia is force fed Rugby League, Rugby Union and AFL (Aussie Rules) and let me put it this way, they're dull sports for dull people.

I must be dull then b/c I find rugby way more fun to watch (especially in person) than football. Never have had a chance to watch AFL live, but I enjoy watching it as well.

Darren Bennett did well though, just no SB for him.

Thinking that he was on the Chargers roster during their super bowl run, I looked it up. He was on the practice squad that season (1994) and went to NFL Europe that next spring and then played full time for the Chargers in 1995. Missed it by a little bit.

I couldn't agree more in reference to league and union. Clearly the 2 most boring sports ever created. But AFL is unreal. It's more of a religion than a sport in Melbourne.

CFC Magpies ftw.

My kind of footy fan. :point2sky

ozskin, if you think the media aren't going over the top with Ben's SB involvement, you obviously don't live in his hometown of Geelong. All the local papers are giving it blanket coverage, and it's all anyone can talk about (other than the weather).

Archived