Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Pittsburgh Steelers in Comparison to the Washington Redskins

Dance04

I don't think we should keep Taylor at 8mil a year, but i like them moving him around. I would like to see the same with Carter as he has had experience at LB. They could put evans and Daniels on the line and have Carter moving around behind the line presnap.

I agree, JT is costing waaaaay to much, and I would rather have the cap space (and the draft picks back). I like your idea of moving around AC as well. It was more a compliment to seeing Blache finally having the personnel on the field to run some blitz stunts and shake things up.

We don't have the personnel to just line em up, we can't win one on one match ups on the DL. We need to get creative and disguise where the pressure is coming from, if we are gonna blitz at all.

Hail!

Buress wasn't very productive when he was with Pitt for them to feel the need to pay him big money, I understand that. Porter was getting up in age and they wanted to make a youth movement. How has losing Porter hurt them at all? Porter was good this year but wasn't spectacular his last year in Pitt.

Burress put up two, 1000 yard seasons on a run first and run second team and basically was let go due to injuries that limited him to 12 games in a contract year.

Porter averaged 56 tackles per year and 7.5 sacks per year as a Steeler. That's pretty damn spectacular for a OLB in a 3-4 scheme. Steelers had a horseshoe up their ass when they grabbed Woodley to play OLB, who was a UDFA.

This is a completely unfair comparison. You have to look at the whole view of the organization when saying that we should follow another organization's steps. The Steelers ability to draft cheap replacements, not sign free agents, etc. is due to consistency that is a result of continuity unlike any other in the NFL.

The Rooney's have owned the Steelers forever. They have had 3 coaches in like the last 30-40 years. If we had the luxury of Joe Gibbs not retiring the first time and this being the first season without him, we would be a drastically different franchise.

The Skins weren't having success with any coaches since the first gibbs era. There wasn't success in the FO before Danny took ownership. This franchise has been through a long process of reconstruction. People complain about our lack of draft picks, but over the past five years we have had to do a drastic makeover to our roster to even become competitive.

If you want to see how far we've come, look back at the 2003 roster (Spurrier's last season). When Gibbs came back, the major goal was to increase the talent level on this team and make it competitive again. Now that we are competitive and have a foundation, we can afford to utilize the draft to build for the present and future.

Look at how we brought in 10 draft picks last year. Some people point to our lack of picks this year, but we will still enter this season with somewhere in the neighborhood of 20 players in their 3rd year or less between draft picks and UDFAs. We are finally in the position to begin investing long term while being competitive in the present.

I don't think we should keep Taylor at 8mil a year, but i like them moving him around. I would like to see the same with Carter as he has had experience at LB. They could put evans and Daniels on the line and have Carter moving around behind the line presnap.

Carter cannot play OLB. He tried it at SF and hated it. He was also younger and more maneuverable back then. As it is, Carter is our best pass rusher and needs to stay as a 3 point stance DE.

The Steelers were even more hard hit with injuries to the OL early in the season than we were late, and that skewed their stats. The only difference is that when they get hard-hit with injuries, they sink to average or just below average. We go from top-tier to nothing due to lack of depth and other team-wide differences.

I added one article on this on my post but beyond that if you google the Steelers for the last two seasons its pretty established that they have a bad offensive line, never mind good, never mind average but below average O line.

Steelers had a horseshoe up their ass when they grabbed Woodley to play OLB, who was a UDFA.

You meant Harrison. Woodley came through the draft. Either way, they're both great players. It does blow my mind that they pulled Harrison seemingly out of thin air. Now he's the DPOY. The Steelers ability to spot talent is perhaps the best in the league.

I like the way you think! Though I don't think it matters too much whether you run a 3-4 or 4-3 defense ... these days most defenses are versatile enough to change things up a bit.

The last Philly game was the first game I noticed we were doing stunting with JT at the los ... and disguising who we were dropping back and who was rushing. That was the most creative defense I saw from our skins all year long.

JT still has a lot of value if he is used the right way. Any system, whether defensive or offensive can be a hybrid at times and use principles and philosophies where the game situations dictate. Philly still has a super aggressive defense and they run the 4-3 ... I think the more flexible your defense is though, the more problems you can cause. of course i am just an arm chair coach winging it right now. :D Hail!

By not only giving up 3 points, it was BY FAR our best defensive day out there. I was loving the line stunts and blitz packages he employed. With a D-line that isn't particularly big, we should have been doing this all year.

Here's where the Steelers get it wrong:

Their offense stinks. Not nearly dynamic enough and depends way too much on the defense to bail them out.

They spend next to nothing on free agency or keeping key players on the team. This is a mixed blessing as you let guys like Burress, and Porter go and depend heavily on the draft and unproven players.

They have been fortunate to play in the weaksauce division that they are in, facing little true competition until the playoffs and not having this as an exposed weakness.

No, that's where they get it RIGHT.

They let guys like plax and ARE leave and it doesn't matter because they pick up guys like holmes and washington in the draft to replace them.

Fine there division may not be the best, but the fact that they are now in their second superbowl in the last 4 years is proof that they can beat the stiff competition.

Again, read the original post. They let Porter go and it doesn't matter because they draft Woodley in the second round to replace him.

Timmons, who on their team is nothing but depth, can be a starter on 95% of the teams in the league.

They Steelers have a philosophy that they live by. they have a plan. they do not waiver from that plan.

The results speak for themselves.

Burress put up two, 1000 yard seasons on a run first and run second team and basically was let go due to injuries that limited him to 12 games in a contract year.

Porter averaged 56 tackles per year and 7.5 sacks per year as a Steeler. That's pretty damn spectacular for a OLB in a 3-4 scheme. Steelers had a horseshoe up their ass when they grabbed Woodley to play OLB, who was a UDFA.

Yes, Porter was a monster during his days in Pitts. But he was getting up there in age and they decided he was not worth the big money he wanted.

Harrison is the player you refer too, and he was drafted in 2002. He was cut multiple times, went to the Ravens, got cut by them and then came back to Pitts. He was not supposed to be his replacement.

This is a completely unfair comparison. You have to look at the whole view of the organization when saying that we should follow another organization's steps. The Steelers ability to draft cheap replacements, not sign free agents, etc. is due to consistency that is a result of continuity unlike any other in the NFL.

The Rooney's have owned the Steelers forever. They have had 3 coaches in like the last 30-40 years. If we had the luxury of Joe Gibbs not retiring the first time and this being the first season without him, we would be a drastically different franchise.

The Skins weren't having success with any coaches since the first gibbs era. There wasn't success in the FO before Danny took ownership. This franchise has been through a long process of reconstruction. People complain about our lack of draft picks, but over the past five years we have had to do a drastic makeover to our roster to even become competitive.

what?????? not a fair comparison because they have consistency?

That's the whole reason why I started this thread.

their organization, from top to bottom does not panic or waiver from the plan they have instilled.

Here in washington it's a quarterback and coach carousel.

More than half of their starting roster they drafted.

they have no big name Free Agent signings on their team. We do.

You're missing the entire point.

Archived