Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why dont we do to Portis..what SD is doing to LT?

Cooool...E

Portis was the most productive player on offense every year he has been here (except maybe one where Moss was as good), even with no passing game. He has 1000 yrd after 8 games last year before the coaching staff changed the running game. He is one of the best blocking backs in football. He plays hurt. He fumbles at one of the NFLs lowest rates. Therefore, we should get rid of him and depend on Betts, or Rock.

Please!

Portis was the most productive player on offense every year he has been here (except maybe one where Moss was as good), even with no passing game. He has 1000 yrd after 8 games last year before the coaching staff changed the running game. He is one of the best blocking backs in football. He plays hurt. He fumbles at one of the NFLs lowest rates. Therefore, we should get rid of him and depend on Betts, or Rock.

Please!

Of course he is the most productive player on our offense...we give him the ball 30 times a game for five years(you see where that has gotten us). Look, when something has not worked for five years maybe it is time for a change in philosophy. Keep him, thats fine but he should be splitting carries and we need to focus more on improving our passing game. Oh, and did I mention a pay cut too.

Hate hate hate.... i understand everyone's problem with CP, i just dont agree with it. CP is still a solid, hard-nosed player with heart. while he has been unable to break long runs, he is still one of the best in the country.

now everyone basically wants to piss him off and hope for the best. wasnt it reported that he was willing to take a pay cut? either way... our FO needs to show our players they are behind him. not that they will hang them out to dry even if they have a pro bowl season.

I'm all for Clinton still being "the" guy on the team. But, I do feel within the next 2 years we may have a similar situation on our hands like San Diego does currently. Just my opinion.

With that being said Clinton certainly has productive years left in him (barrying anytype os season ending injury..), and I definetly want to see him as the starting runningback of this football team. With that said I still think we would be wise to get a RB in the draft this year.

I look like a team like the Ravens for instance. They traded for McGhee just 2 seasons ago, and during last April's draft they took Ray Rice in the 3rd round. I'd like for this team to look at a RB in this years draft who can compete with Ladell and with Rock to see who can land that 3rd RB start. Create competition and add talent to the position all at the same time. I'm a big fan of this kid Green out of Iowa. I believe he will be a perfect WCO RB. He would be a nice steal (not sure where he's projected currently)

We have no1 behind portis who is really a stater. The chargers do...they have some leverage.

Sproules is a free agent with all signs pointing to him leaving town (ala: Micheal Turner.) Leverage isn't as big as you may think. I also, believe LT will be with San Diego next year, but just with a restructed deal

Some of you people have to be the be crazy to want to get rid of portis. Portis is not the problem on the team he is the only bright spot on offense. He has been more productive then most backs in this league. When he first got here after a season he restrucored his contract to benefit the team and now they have to pay him what he is worth. I will take portis over any back in this league right know. For all that like betts he is garbage look at who many times he has fumbled the ball over past few years every big run he fumbles at the end of it. If portis can stop getting hit when he gets the hand off he can have more yard then he has now which is 9200 in seven years. Untill we get better production out of the QB, WR and O-line portis is going to have to carry this team and if it take 30 carries a game i'm all for it.

We have no1 behind portis who is really a stater. The chargers do...they have some leverage.

We have a bruiser behind Portis, who is also a better receiver out of the backfield.

He also isn't a me-first crybaby.

He only costs 1/5th of what Portis costs, and the only season that he was given starts....he ran at a pace nearly 2x better than Portis has ever run.

All while being cold, not getting the reps in practice, and playing behind the same line.

1/5th the cost. 5 Betts for 1 whining Portis.

And people wonder why our FO sucks so hard? And why we can never build a consistent winner? :doh:

Don't get me wrong I like your idea. But, you have to remember that our organization operates much different then San Diego. They value the draft, and they take that philosphy to simply "move on" from players. LT included.

We at the moment don't have that luxury. Could things change? Maybe, but I wouldn't bank on it

wow okay, LT and CP are not even in the same conversation right now, you forget that before portis' injury he was in the talk for MVP and was the league rushing leader

also....LT is past his prime, CP is in his prime...we are wasting his prime, CP should be trying to get out of here not us trying to get rid of CP....

Cutting CP this year would result in 18.2M in dead cap this year. When you consider his cap # of 5.6M, we probably HAVE to keep him for another year.

I'd love to see him in a Redskins uni for the rest of his career, HOWEVER, the contract that they have signed him to virtually ensures that this isn't going to happen. His cap hit in 2010 is 12M+, which is WAY to much for a RB. Even if they guaranteed his salary next year and shift the cap hit into future years, he will still count as about 6.7M on ths cap next year....

We may be seeing Portis' final year as a Redskin?

Cutting CP this year would result in 18.2M in dead cap this year. When you consider his cap # of 5.6M, we probably HAVE to keep him for another year.

I'd love to see him in a Redskins uni for the rest of his career, HOWEVER, the contract that they have signed him to virtually ensures that this isn't going to happen. His cap hit in 2010 is 12M+, which is WAY to much for a RB. Even if they guaranteed his salary next year and shift the cap hit into future years, he will still count as about 6.7M on ths cap next year....

We may be seeing Portis' final year as a Redskin?

I do hope this is his last season as a Skin. I hope 60% of the teams last season is the upcoming season. The only way to fix this team is to blow it up and start over. If the owner is willing to have a 1-2 season 1-2 win year then this will happen. We need to get real bad to fix this problem. :dallasuck

Tom

I do hope this is his last season as a Skin. I hope 60% of the teams last season is the upcoming season. The only way to fix this team is to blow it up and start over. If the owner is willing to have a 1-2 season 1-2 win year then this will happen. We need to get real bad to fix this problem. :dallasuck

Tom

Winner! Winner! Good call......and I agree, I think we have some nice young players. Although we have this nucleus of vets who are extremely overpaid and are underachieving based on salary. Every team has some vets like this but we have way too many. One more year of this pain than we can really shed some dead weight. Unfortunately Portis is included in this nucleus. Yes, I know his rushing totals are great overall numbers. But fact of the matter is having a player chew up that much salary and we have 1 playoff win with him in five years. SD gets it......why dont we?

Hasn't Portis agreed to have his contract restructured year after year here? I know it's not the same as a pay cut, but it does push a lot of money further into the future. The trade off is extra money up front in the short term and it doesn't hit the cap. Since the OP didn't provide any actual contract figures other than how much overall each player is due, we don't actually know what the final cap hit for each player will be yet. For all we know LT could stay at 8.8 and CP could restructure yet again and wind up below 8.8. Besides, LT showed a significant decline, and the Chargers have a legitimate back-up in Sproles. Portis improved from last season, and we have Betts backing him up.

Anyone got a link to where LT supposedly offered to take a pay cut?

SD gets it......why dont we?

Gets what? They got hot at the end, were mediocre on defense w/o their best player (in a crappy division), their GM fires Marty after a 14-2 season, hires Noval and then mocks his best player...Wow I wish we could be like them.

Archived