Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why dont we do to Portis..what SD is doing to LT?

Cooool...E

I'm not sure how much "leverage" they really have at this point. Heck, every team knows at this point San Diego has atleast flirted with the idea of getting rid of him. From a contract perspective you are 100% correct though

Why give up value when San Diego could just cut him? I've never understood why organizations leak out trade rumors like this because from my view point it kills value in return.

Look at a team like New England with Randy Moss. They knew one way or another the Raiders were either going to cut Moss, or trade him, but they weren't just going to take any offer. They waited becauase at that point the Raiders were against the wall.

I see a similar situationi playing out with LT if they don't re-due his deal, and I see New England being in the mix to get him. Wouldn't that be funny LT ending up in New England after he wined and cryed about them a few years ago

This is the exact opposite of how we handled the Brandon Lloyd acquisition.

CP restructuring his contract helps him MORE than it does the team. Sure we needed to do it. But please don't praise CP for accepting a gauranteed contract because he only benefited from it.

Bleed, in the thread you quoted, I myself said that he benefits from the restructuring. I don't see where the confusion is?

Bleed, in the thread you quoted, I myself said that he benefits from the restructuring. I don't see where the confusion is?

Because you said to help the team. I'm just tired of people praising CP, when in actuality, all players would love to go the FO and ask to do the same thing. Maybe you weren't singing his praises, but I was just saying.

:cheers:

Because you said to help the team. I'm just tired of people praising CP, when in actuality, all players would love to go the FO and ask to do the same thing. Maybe you weren't singing his praises, but I was just saying.

:cheers:

Gotcha.

Yeah, my bad. I did slant it more towards the team then I intended to.

Like I said, make no mistake, CP has this team by the balls. The team has no leverage over him.

But I ask you Bleed, are we to fault CP if he was offered more guaranteed? I think anyone would take it

:cheers: :cheers:

I think for management to see that he is not worth the salary they need to have him share carries(which will happen next year). When the production stays the same or improves they have an arguement to go to bat about reducing salary. Next year will be his last as a Skin.

Looks like the chargers, specifically the GM Smith realize there mistakes and have apologized to LT.

Sorry Coooool..E, you fail yet again

http://www.chargers.com/news/headlines/aj-reaches-out.htm

San Diego Chargers General Manager A.J. Smith, under fire for recent comments about the status of running back LaDainian Tomlinson, decided he owed the future Hall of Famer a phone call to clear the clouds of misinformation and speculation. So he picked up the phone on Monday evening and found Tomlinson in Tampa, Florida.

“It was important to me that L.T. know exactly what happened,” Smith said referring to comments he made in the San Diego Union-Tribune regarding statements on L.T.’s web site.

“I just answered a question and unfortunately my response was inappropriate,” said Smith, who has sat in the GM’s chair since 2003. “After reading my response to the question, I can see why it was interpreted the way it was.

“I absolutely meant no disrespect toward L.T… none. I have the utmost respect for him on two fronts, as a player and as a person.”

Admittedly, Smith was hurt by some the comments made by the local and national media. Though stung by the reaction, Smith was comforted by those who know him best.

“Dean Spanos and many members of our front office and coaching staff know exactly how I feel about L.T., and that is what has gotten me through this difficult time.

“And most important, L.T. knows how I feel about him.”

Smith characterized the 10-minute conversation as “a great talk … the kind of talk we have at the beginning of each season.”

Like Smith, Tomlinson had nothing but positive vibes from the phone call.

“It was great to hear from him,” said the five-time Pro Bowl performer. “It really went well. It’s always better talking directly to someone one on one. He was very upbeat and very sincere. He felt bad about what had happened.”

why would we trade him now when his cap number is just above 5 million for 09 and it'll take 12 million to get rid of him? Why all the trade Clinton talk anyway, why can't we just draft a running back to share carries with him or ditch Jason Taylor and go after Sproles. Just don't see why we need to trade away are whole pro bowl caliber offense.

Exactly: Portis is not a major cap burden and he produced big time for us for most of 2008 (certainly a lot more than LT did for San Diego last season). I agree with those who think we need to get a shifty RB in here to share carries with CP, but throwing him to the curb? It makes no sense.

Looks like the chargers, specifically the GM Smith realize there mistakes and have apologized to LT.

Sorry Coooool..E, you fail yet again

http://www.chargers.com/news/headlines/aj-reaches-out.htm

San Diego Chargers General Manager A.J. Smith, under fire for recent comments about the status of running back LaDainian Tomlinson, decided he owed the future Hall of Famer a phone call to clear the clouds of misinformation and speculation. So he picked up the phone on Monday evening and found Tomlinson in Tampa, Florida.

“It was important to me that L.T. know exactly what happened,” Smith said referring to comments he made in the San Diego Union-Tribune regarding statements on L.T.’s web site.

“I just answered a question and unfortunately my response was inappropriate,” said Smith, who has sat in the GM’s chair since 2003. “After reading my response to the question, I can see why it was interpreted the way it was.

“I absolutely meant no disrespect toward L.T… none. I have the utmost respect for him on two fronts, as a player and as a person.”

Admittedly, Smith was hurt by some the comments made by the local and national media. Though stung by the reaction, Smith was comforted by those who know him best.

“Dean Spanos and many members of our front office and coaching staff know exactly how I feel about L.T., and that is what has gotten me through this difficult time.

“And most important, L.T. knows how I feel about him.”

Smith characterized the 10-minute conversation as “a great talk … the kind of talk we have at the beginning of each season.”

Like Smith, Tomlinson had nothing but positive vibes from the phone call.

“It was great to hear from him,” said the five-time Pro Bowl performer. “It really went well. It’s always better talking directly to someone one on one. He was very upbeat and very sincere. He felt bad about what had happened.”

What do you mean "fail"? This article means nothing about the fact that the Chargers are either A. trying to keep him at a reduced rate or B. Have him move on via trade or release. They just told him straight up that they apologize for having him hear this second hand. What is the point your making here? LT has been a stand up guy for the Chrgers that does not bash his coach so they are treating him with respect through a tough time.

What do you mean "fail"? This article means nothing about the fact that the Chargers are either A. trying to keep him at a reduced rate or B. Have him move on via trade or release. They just told him straight up that they apologize for having him hear this second hand. What is the point your making here? LT has been a stand up guy for the Chrgers that does not bash his coach so they are treating him with respect through a tough time.

cuz everyone here knows your act. You go to great lengths to bash CP.

This is a Bash thread in disguise. There's a reason your avatar is clown shoes.

At this point with the news that we are honestly thinking about putting all of our free cash into resigning Hall which I am openly against, if we lost Portis this season and were left with Betts as our primary back we'd likely win 2 games all season next year if we released him. I agree his contract is to big but we wouldn't have done a damn thing the last couple of years and certainily wouldn't have gone 8-8 last season without Portis. He stays

cuz everyone here knows your act. You go to great lengths to bash CP.

This is a Bash thread in disguise. There's a reason your avatar is clown shoes.

And godforbid someone bashs Clinton Portis. That would be just to shameful to actually digest.

I'm one of Clinton's biggest fans, but there is going to come a day (and I believe it will be sooner rather then later) when the Redskins are going to need to cut ties with not only him as a player, but also his ridiculous contract.

That's the nature of the NFL. You have to find the fine line when a player is on the downturn of his career (and just let me stress I'm not suggesting that Clinton is because I feel he has a year or 2 left on productive years).

There were somethings and statements made my CP this year that I personally didn't agree with, and I felt that dirty laundry should always be kept in-house. His public spat with B Mitch I felt wasn't needed. As a professional he should of took the high road and approached B Mitch behind doors or simply said nothing. CP certainly isn't a saint

And godforbid someone bashs Clinton Portis. That would be just to shameful to actually digest.

I'm one of Clinton's biggest fans, but there is going to come a day (and I believe it will be sooner rather then later) when the Redskins are going to need to cut ties with not only him as a player, but also his ridiculous contract.

That's the nature of the NFL. You have to find the fine line when a player is on the downturn of his career (and just let me stress I'm not suggesting that Clinton is because I feel he has a year or 2 left on productive years).

There were somethings and statements made my CP this year that I personally didn't agree with, and I felt that dirty laundry should always be kept in-house. His public spat with B Mitch I felt wasn't needed. As a professional he should of took the high road and approached B Mitch behind doors or simply said nothing. CP certainly isn't a saint

Don't wanna hijack the thread so i'll be quick

I wasn't attempting to defend Clinton Portis. I was just pointing at how all his threads revolve around bashing him. Look at his threads started.

Gotcha.

Yeah, my bad. I did slant it more towards the team then I intended to.

Like I said, make no mistake, CP has this team by the balls. The team has no leverage over him.

But I ask you Bleed, are we to fault CP if he was offered more guaranteed? I think anyone would take it

:cheers: :cheers:

Of course. Its just too many people have put CP as some great guy who was "so nice" to restructure his contract so he can stay a Redskin that they think he "loves" being here and "loves" the Redskins. He loves money. I like CP the player, but he focused on one thing, him. No one can blame him either.

Of course. Its just too many people have put CP as some great guy who was "so nice" to restructure his contract so he can stay a Redskin that they think he "loves" being here and "loves" the Redskins. He loves money. I like CP the player, but he focused on one thing, him. No one can blame him either.

Well, I do really think that CP loves this team. I feel he gets angry cuz he puts in so much and gets little in return.

But I'm sure his big paycheck makes up for it ;)

Im as big a CP homer as the next, but I do realize that he has one of the sweetest deals in the NFL, and sometimes he does get a little too selfish.

wow. i just hijacked this thread.

I'll get back on track. Don't smite me mods!

Don't wanna hijack the thread so i'll be quick

I wasn't attempting to defend Clinton Portis. I was just pointing at how all his threads revolve around bashing him. Look at his threads started.

Its not so much that I dislike Portis but he has been the focal point of our offense for five years. In those five years my beloved Redskins have 1 playoff win. I know you probably think he is a cool guy and like his costumes but I prefer playoff wins. At what point do you move on?:2cents:

To think you will win the SB with one of these top running backs is simply ignorant.

LT....AD....CP....Gore, Larry Johnson.....how many SBs do they have combined?

We have the single, most stupid FO in the entire league.

Get rid of Portis asap, find some sucker that will help us out on the cap hit, and then actually learn how to build a winning franchise.

He can take his loud mouth, and feminine costumes to Detroit.

Archived