Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Top 10 plays in Super Bowl history (Skins and Zorn related)

bushwack

http://www.nfl.com/superbowl/story?id=09000d5d80e4eef9&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

2. Dear John

This is the 26th anniversary of Riggo over Miami. It will be celebrated by another run of that black-and-white photo of Redskins running back John Riggins pulling away from a fallen Don McNeal -- with the Miami cornerback desperately trying to hang on to Riggins' jersey.

"I see that photo every stinkin' year," said McNeal, laughing, "But you know something? That's all right. I look at it from the positive side -- at least I'm going to see my picture in the paper once a year. And every year I see it, I think I'm still going to make the play."

Of course, he doesn't. Riggins not only ran out of McNeal's grasp, he took Super Bowl XVII with him. With the Redskins trailing 17-13 in the fourth quarter, coach Joe Gibbs needed something, anything, to put his team on top.

So he dialed Riggins on fourth-and-1 at the Miami 42.

"We knew he was going to get the ball," McNeal said. "We were in man-to-man across the line. I had a guy going in motion [tight end Clint Didier], and he stopped and went back the other way. When he stopped, I slipped. And when I got up, I found myself in the backfield with John."

Riggins ran over McNeal and didn't stop until he produced a decisive touchdown and one of the most memorable images from Super Bowl history. What you might not know is that the play cost McNeal a fingernail. It was torn off when his right hand got caught in Riggins' jersey.

"I was in so much pain from missing that tackle I don't think I knew it was missing," McNeal said. "I should have made the play. I screwed up. People say he was so big, and one man couldn't bring him down. But I make no excuses. I should have done the job, and I didn't.

"That stayed with me for two or three weeks, and then I moved on ... because you have to move on with your life," said McNeal, now a pastor. "If that would have stuck in my craw then, it would stick in my craw now. But it doesn't. I'm all right with it."

IMO that play has to be the greatest play ever for the Skins. Riggins breaking away and winning the 1st Super Bowl for the Skins.

Also at the top of the article it includes Zorn's opinion for the greatest play in Super Bowl history.

Its a shame that the fluke Tyree catch is probably going to be ahead of Riggo on a lot of these lists.

- The Giants committed about 3 holding penalties on that play that weren't called.

- It was a typical Eli throw off his back foot throwing it up for grabs, hoping someone comes down with it.

- It wasn't a score.

- It was caught by a 5th WR who has 50 catches in 6 years in the league and is pretty much out of the league now.

Riggos run was the prototype play for a offensive unit which dominated the league for a decade, one of the greatest lines of all time, and was a go ahead TD by a hall of famer. If you were to look up power football or Redskin football in the encyclopedia, that play would be in there.

I'll take Riggo's run anyday.

I'd put Tyrees play on top of "luckiest plays" in sports history.

I just finished a day of being parked on the couch and watching the 3 'Greatest Games' DVDs of the Redskins Super Bowl wins. I figured I would just tag along on this thread and talk a little about it. I am sure all of you know, and have seen the DVDs, that these show the network broadcasts of the Super Bowl games.

For Super Bowl 17 Dick Enberg called Riggo's fourth down run. As soon as Riggo got by McNeal Enberg said 'he's going to go all the way!'. One thing that might be missed on a lot of people is how dominant the Skins defense was-they did not allow a completed pass in the second half! From a visual standpoint the broadcast was good and NFL films did a good job of cleaning it up. On a side note Riggins did not wear gloves and his hands were bloody from pounding the ball all day.

For Super Bowl 22 I thought the ABC group did a good job. In the second half all they talked about was how the Redskins ran the counter gap and the Broncos could not find a way to stop it. Also, I swear I saw Mark Rypen on the sidelines wearing a Redskins sweater standing near the coaches. Dexter Manley had a pretty monster game.

For Super Bowl 26 Madden and Summeral seemed kind of boring, but they were put on all the big games back then so I guess they seemed a little better because of that. The Redskins secondary was really laying some hits, especially Martin Mayhew and Brad Edwards.

I have said before it is harder for the older fans now that remember those glory days first hand. In a way these Super Bowl wins were a little hard to watch knowing that those days were long ago. But, if you take it for what it is and know that we were the team to beat on those days it feels pretty good.

P.S. Gibbs was awesome as a head coach and calling the offensive plays. There was always plenty of motion and 'out thinking' the other teams coaching staff. Gibbs might not have been as good his second time around, but the first stint I would put him as an equal to Walsh, Parcells or anybody.

One thing that might be missed on a lot of people is how dominant the Skins defense was-they did not allow a completed pass in the second half!

What I am always struck by when either watching that game or the game before it (NFC TItle game against Dallas) was just how dominant a player Dexter Manley was. Holy **** that guy was an animal, he simply could not be blocked.

How did he fall so far in the draft I'll never know.

I think if he (Manley) had ever really gotten his mental game together he would have been the best to ever play the position. I really believe that.

I think if he (Manley) had ever really gotten his mental game together he would have been the best to ever play the position. I really believe that.

Dexter wanted to be cremated and have his ashes spread out at RFK stadum. He was an absolute beast and loved our fan base. That makes him one of the best ever in my book.

What I am always struck by when either watching that game or the game before it (NFC TItle game against Dallas) was just how dominant a player Dexter Manley was. Holy **** that guy was an animal, he simply could not be blocked.

How did he fall so far in the draft I'll never know.

I totally agree manley was a beast and had his career not been shortened by the drug problems etc. there is no doubt in my mind he would have been right there at the top or near the top of the all time sack leaders. He and Charles Mann were quite the pair.

#3. The drive. They very conveniently forget about the fact that Louis Billups dropped the Super Bowl clinching int on the play before the TD. He catches that ball, which hit him right in the numbers and Montana is just "very good". They do not even show the play on the NFL films recap, because it takes luster off of "The drive".

Archived