Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How Good is the Current Youth on the Roster?

Thinking Skins

I see a lot of threads emerging about what we should/shouldn't do in free agency and with the draft. But I think that right now Vinny and co are doing a roster evaluation and trying to actually determine the areas where we are 'thin' and the areas where we have young talent that's developing and didn't get an opportunity to play, and there are areas where we are set.

So what follows is a list of every player on the roster with 5 (arbitrary, if you think 5 is too short/long, then cool) years of experience or less, and I'd like opinions of how we're doing as far as youth at these positions.

QB:

Campbell, Jason , 4 years

Brennan, Colt, Rookie

RB:

Nobody

FB

Broughton, Nehemiah 3 years (Practice Squad)

TE

Cooley, Chris, 5 years

Davis, Fred, Rookie

WR

Kelly, Malcolm, Rookie

Thomas, Devin, Rookie

Gant, Horace , Rookie (Practice Squad)

Hagans, Marques , 2 Years (Practice Squad)

OL

Batiste, D'Anthony , 2 Years

Clark, Devin , Rookie

Heyer, Stephon , 2 years

Montgomery, Will , 2 Years

Rinehart, Chad , Rookie

Geisinger, Justin, 3 years

Riley, Rueben , 2 Years (Practice Squad)

Ross, Isaiah , 1 Year (Practice Squad)

DL

Alexander, Lorenzo , 2 Years

Boschetti, Ryan , 5 years

Golston, Kedric , 3 years

Jackson, Rob , Rookie

Montgomery, Anthony , 3 Years

Wilson, Chris , 2 Years

Buzbee, Alex , 1 year

LB

Blades, H.B. , 2 Years

Fincher, Alfred , 3 years

McIntosh, Rocky , 3 years

Smith, Tyson , 2 years

Baldwin, Johnny , 1 year

Sinclair, Matt , 2 years

Wallace, Rian , 3 years

Archer, Brandon , 1 year (Practice Squad)

CB

Hall, DeAngelo , 5 years

Rogers, Carlos , 4 years

Tryon, Justin , Rookie

Westbrook, Byron , 1 Year (Practice Squad)

S

Horton, Chris , Rookie

Landry, LaRon , 2 Years

Moore, Kareem , Rookie

Doughty, Reed , 3 Years

Grant, Michael , 1 year (practice Squad)

Ok, so thats how the roster looks. How are we as far as youth?

LB

Blades, H.B. , 2 Years

Fincher, Alfred , 3 years

McIntosh, Rocky , 3 years

Smith, Tyson , 2 years

Baldwin, Johnny , 1 year

Sinclair, Matt , 2 years

Wallace, Rian , 3 years

Archer, Brandon , 1 year (Practice Squad)

This is a position that I'm particularily interested in what we have. I expected to see more of Fincher this year, especially when Washington went down. From what I've read about him, he's a good run stopper.

When you do a full list, there's certainly a lot more youth on this team than you realize.

The key, though, is "quality" youth.

There's some real good quality in some positions, some real good potential quality in others, ala last years top draft picks, but in the main, it's average, roster filling talent at best.

And will doubtless continue so as long as the man charged with "evaluating" that talent is in the position he currently holds.

Hail.

DL

Alexander, Lorenzo , 2 Years

Boschetti, Ryan , 5 years

Golston, Kedric , 3 years

Jackson, Rob , Rookie

Montgomery, Anthony , 3 Years

Wilson, Chris , 2 Years

Buzbee, Alex , 1 year

The player that I think our DL is resting on right now is Anthony Montgomery. I saw him just manhandling offensive lines in 2007, and that gave me some promise that he would be more dominant going into 2008. Unfortuately that didn't happen. Maybe he's just going to be an inconsistent player, and if thats the case then we need to address this position. But I think Montgomery still has the power to and can develop into a dominant DT in this league. But I don't want to spend forever waiting for this to happen.

OL

Batiste, D'Anthony , 2 Years

Clark, Devin , Rookie

Heyer, Stephon , 2 years

Montgomery, Will , 2 Years

Rinehart, Chad , Rookie

Geisinger, Justin, 3 years

Riley, Rueben , 2 Years (Practice Squad)

Ross, Isaiah , 1 Year (Practice Squad)

There are three players I'm interested in here - Heyer, Geisinger, and Reinhart. I think Heyer has the potential to develop into a consistent starter in this league. Geisinger and Reinhart, I'm not sure about but I did like what I saw of them in the preseason last year. I do think there's room to bring in competition, but I don't think we should label any of these three - especially not Heyer or Reinhart - as guys who need to be replaced.

just looked at the pro bowl starters on the OL this year. 4 were drafter in the first, 3 in the second and the other 2 were undrafted.

It's a small sample and I don't know if it will hold up, but it seems to underscore the importance of drafting linemen in the first day.

just looked at the pro bowl starters on the OL this year. 4 were drafter in the first, 3 in the second and the other 2 were undrafted.

It's a small sample and I don't know if it will hold up, but it seems to underscore the importance of drafting linemen in the first day.

Here's my problem with using the pro bowl as a measuring tool. By that same standard, Randy Thomas (who was a Pro Bowl alternate) and Chris Samuels (a pro Bowler) had good years and shouldn't be replaced. But I've seen so many opinions about our OL and in particular Thomas and Rabach that I'm led to question how useful this is.

Then add to that offensive lines like the Giants which I believe are made up of all UDFAs and I'm led to believe that talent can come from anywhere.

We had good youth on our practice squad this year. Other teams raided our UFAs. I really wish we had managed to keep our o-linemen. I viewed crummey as a future starter and Richardson as someone to be our #4 corner this year. so much for that idea.

But doesn't that give you even more hope in Geisinger, Reinhart, and even Clark? They're the ones who beat out Crummey.

We had good youth on our practice squad this year. Other teams raided our UFAs. I really wish we had managed to keep our o-linemen. I viewed crummey as a future starter and Richardson as someone to be our #4 corner this year. so much for that idea.

And it shows how good the Skins youth is. But nobody talks about that. They have young talent. The Skins need to use them.

I think one of the problems with the Redskins and the youth is the team is more satisfied with older mediocre vets then letting some young guys get a shot, We will never find a gem like some of the other teams did Like the Chiefs did with Jared Allen who was drafted as a long snapper, or how the steelers has the defensive player of the year Harrison who was cut from 3 different practice squads. The redskins could have some good young players but instead they would rather start older vets who are average

I think one of the problems with the Redskins and the youth is the team is more satisfied with older mediocre vets then letting some young guys get a shot, We will never find a gem like some of the other teams did Like the Chiefs did with Jared Allen who was drafted as a long snapper, or how the steelers has the defensive player of the year Harrison who was cut from 3 different practice squads. The redskins could have some good young players but instead they would rather start older vets who are average

I think Zorn needs to decide if he wants to win now and worry about the future of this team in the off season or be will to lose to develop his players and ensure a winning future. Zorn seems to lean toward the win now as evidenced by the last game against the 49ers. Instead of saying let's see what team looks like for the future, Zorn let his pride come first and tried for a win but lost and the future of this team lost. We had a prime opportunity to give our backups and rookies valuable game time experience against a team that would not let up and they weren't played.

The Skins should find a way to get those folks who have been on the practice squad for 2+ years a fair shot at making the team or cut them. No point hanging on year after year is they are not good enough.

I see a lot of threads emerging about what we should/shouldn't do in free agency and with the draft. But I think that right now Vinny and co are doing a roster evaluation and trying to actually determine the areas where we are 'thin' and the areas where we have young talent that's developing and didn't get an opportunity to play, and there are areas where we are set.

So what follows is a list of every player on the roster with 5 (arbitrary, if you think 5 is too short/long, then cool) years of experience or less, and I'd like opinions of how we're doing as far as youth at these positions.

QB:

Campbell, Jason , 4 years He will be a good backup QB for us

Brennan, Colt, Rookie Hasn't really gotten the chance yet but I truly believe he could be the real deal. His accuracy is unmatched and that is what we need for the WCO.

RB:

Nobody

FB

Broughton, Nehemiah 3 years (Practice Squad) You said it.

TE

Cooley, Chris, 5 years Very good TE

Davis, Fred, Rookie Have heard a lot of good things but Springs said he could be great.

WR

Kelly, Malcolm, Rookie Who knows if the knees

Thomas, Devin, Rookie Can't wait to see.

OL

Heyer, Stephon , 2 years borderline starter or career backup

Rinehart, Chad , Rookie hopefully we find out this year

Geisinger, Justin, 3 years backup

DL

Alexander, Lorenzo , 2 Years Huge fan. Wish he got more PT

Boschetti, Ryan , 5 years Heart but not much else

Golston, Kedric , 3 years OK

Jackson, Rob , Rookie Young but I like what I have seen

Montgomery, Anthony , 3 Years Could be very good but time will tell

Wilson, Chris , 2 Years Wish we would have been smart and used him instead of wasting picks on JT

Buzbee, Alex , 1 year hopeful

LB

Blades, H.B. , 2 Years I'm a fan. Has played out of position but descently. Great mentor for this guy in LFB

Fincher, Alfred , 3 years Heart

McIntosh, Rocky , 3 years Good not great so far.

CB

Hall, DeAngelo , 5 years Being overrated by many here but good

Rogers, Carlos , 4 years Being underrated by many here

Tryon, Justin , Rookie Improving from what I heard

Westbrook, Byron , 1 Year (Practice Squad) u said it

S

Horton, Chris , Rookie steal of the 08 draft

Landry, LaRon , 2 Years still learning FS

Moore, Kareem , Rookie good backup and ST

Doughty, Reed , 3 Years cheap backup

Ok, so thats how the roster looks. How are we as far as youth?

QB: Next year is Campbells make or break year...our QB position still needs veteran leadership as a #2qb

RB: Betts does nothing for me he's servicable but we need a "potential" rb in there...Portis is a bum to me personality wise...he's a damn good football player but he's a "ME" player we're better without him with the attitude he has...

FB...I've seen nothing thus far out of Nehemiah but Cellars is the man...

WR...alot of potential but Randle El needs to be demoted...

TE...Cooley is a top recieving threat he's not the best blocker though...hopefully we use Fred Davis more:whoknows:...

OL..."heartless" we need an overhaul...

DL...old and not that talented...we need an overhaul...

lb...Fletcher still gets it done but for how long?...young lbs look to be good but limited...

db...not sure about Hall...once he "HUMBLES" his self he could be damn near the best...he's got all the tools...Carlos needs to play with more confidene...we're not bad at db but could use some help

ss...Landry has not lived up to billing Horton has outplayed him...we're good here...

k...need a new one...

p...good to go...

coach...needs to stick to what he believes in and just loosen up...

that's our team in a nutshell imo...we are old and need a lot of upgrades...not good news...

WHAT?! No one could throw the deep ball over Landry and Just because Horton plays more in the run and on under routes doesn't mean he's more effective, they just call his name more. Landry is a great safety and probably the best young safety in the league

WHAT?! No one could throw the deep ball over Landry and Just because Horton plays more in the run and on under routes doesn't mean he's more effective, they just call his name more. Landry is a great safety and probably the best young safety in the league

I hate to burst your bubble but Landry is under performing for the hype he got and the draft position...When I look at Ed Reed, Polomalu, Sanders...I see play makers Landry is not on that level but he should be...truth...

Looks to me like most of the talented youth is on the defensive side of the ball. Hmm. And their a top 5 defense in the NFL.

Weird how that works....

Lets get some young talent on the offensive side. Especially the OL. We're set at WR and TE, and RB we can wait another year or two.

I hate to burst your bubble but Landry is under performing for the hype he got and the draft position...When I look at Ed Reed, Polomalu, Sanders...I see play makers Landry is not on that level but he should be...truth...

No truth.

They don't just grow players like Reed and Polamalu on trees dude, they're special. Landry started slow, but turned it on again at the end of last year. And was also hampered by injury all year.

He'll be good to go in '09.

Archived