Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Like it or not, we're stuck with Zorn.

Thinking Skins

Let me start this off by saying that I'm a fan of the Redskins - have been all my life and will continue to be for the forseeable future.

Last offseason may have been an eye opener for Snyder. I hope it was because it kinda was for me. It seemed like he had a head coaching position in one of the league's best cities, with one of the league's best fan bases, and one of the most historic teams, and there were a number of people who did not want the job. How he settled on Zorn can be debated amongst us, but we can all agree that Zorn wasn't Snyder's first choice. I know two people withdrew their names completely (I'm thinking of the Giants DC and Mora).

What brought this about? We have an owner who Aikman loves to say didn't give Norv Turner a fair shot at the job (I disagree but I wonder how many others have that same feeling). Then he hires Marty and fires him after a season of 8-8 football (8-3 down the stretch). Then he hires Spurrier and shows how much of a joke our front office is. Then he goes and brings back Gibbs to try to right the ship. Gibbs stays for 4 years and resigns. Then we go and hire Zorn.

If we were to pull a quick trigger on Zorn, then the only coach that would have lasted more than 2 seasons with Snyder would be Gibbs - an already Hall of Fame coach. Thats a helluva reputation that a coach needs to have to be able to last more than two seasons.

We run the risk of being mentioned in the same breath as teams such as Oakland. I don't think this is where we want to be.

So if you ever want to have a good coach again, I think we need to let Zorn have at least 3 years to impliment his system. If he hasn't shown anything by then, then sure he should be gone. But if we're quick to pull the trigger on him, we'll only be able to hire no-name position coaches who aren't ready to take on a head coaching position and who are not our top choices for the head coaching position.

On a brighter note, I'd like to compare Zorn to Brian Billick. Billick went to Baltimore because of his offensive expretise. But in Baltimore, this expertise never materialized. But the Ravens were still able to build a GREAT defense (thanks to Marvin Lewis and Rex Ryan), and Billick was rewarded with the opportunity to keep searching for the QB to implement his offense. Sure he eventually got fired, but they didn't just fire Billick after his first season because his offense didn't materialize. That may be what eventually cost him his job - and it may be what costs Zorn his job - but we shouldn't be so quick to pull the trigger.

I agree with you completely. We ARE in the same breath as Oakland and Detroit. This franchise is laughed at around the NFL because of its instability. The owner thinks that this is fantasy football and we have a team that is old and lacks young talent. The luster of working in DC has almost completely disappeared as even legendary coach Joe Gibbs couldn't right the ship. I laugh at people who think that we should get Cowher or Shanahan or some other high profile coach. Who would want to coach here with such a delusional owner and a "GM" that is a complete joke.

Bottom Line: this franchise is 2-3 years away from getting to the standard that us fans have for this team...

sorry to be negative

I agree with you completely. We ARE in the same breath as Oakland and Detroit. This franchise is laughed at around the NFL because of its instability. The owner thinks that this is fantasy football and we have a team that is old and lacks young talent. The luster of working in DC has almost completely disappeared as even legendary coach Joe Gibbs couldn't right the ship. I laugh at people who think that we should get Cowher or Shanahan or some other high profile coach. Who would want to coach here with such a delusional owner and a "GM" that is a complete joke.

Bottom Line: this franchise is 2-3 years away from getting to the standard that us fans have for this team...

sorry to be negative

Yeah, and as long as we have a reputation of an owner who just wants a coach who will be his little puppet, we will never be able to get somebody like a Cowher or a Shanahan or an up and coming star that's hot on everybody's list.

We're 2-3 years from even being mentioned in the same breath as some teams like even St. Louis or Kansas City. We've had one coach for 4 years, and thats the best we've done under Snyder. Nobody's gonna come here if they're going to be moving out in 2-3 years.

Last offseason may have been an eye opener for Snyder. I hope it was because it kinda was for me. It seemed like he had a head coaching position in one of the league's best cities, with one of the league's best fan bases, and one of the most historic teams, and there were a number of people who did not want the job. How he settled on Zorn can be debated amongst us, but we can all agree that Zorn wasn't Snyder's first choice. I know two people withdrew their names completely (I'm thinking of the Giants DC and Mora).

Ok, who do you think was Snyder's first choice? I don't know if you can pick that out. Of the people who did drop out, Mora soon had an agreement to be the head coach of the Seahawks, so I think that probably was a factor in him taking his name out. As for Spags, while he did pull his name out, I'm not sure he would have been the choice anyways.

Honestly, I dont care who we have as coach. We need to have a couple of successful drafts first.

Yeah, I was against Vinny as the VP. I wanted him to get fired last year. But that didn't happen. And honestly, I'm still kinda hoping that the 2008 draft class proves to be worth something. I know we have a tendancy for not playing rookies - at least it was that way under Gibbs, and since we have a lot of the same coaches, I can understand them saying the same thing again.

Now we have 4 picks this year, hopefully we can use them wisely and have a good draft this year too, but I just hope that a bad draft these past two years doesn't lead to Zorn being one and done or two and done.

Ok, who do you think was Snyder's first choice? I don't know if you can pick that out. Of the people who did drop out, Mora soon had an agreement to be the head coach of the Seahawks, so I think that probably was a factor in him taking his name out. As for Spags, while he did pull his name out, I'm not sure he would have been the choice anyways.

But the fact is that Zorn wasn't even on his radar until the final interview. So Zorn definately wasn't his first choice. He may have been teh best guy, but he wasn't the first choice.

I really don't think we are the laughing stock of the league. That is something people here make up because all they want to do is complain. We are not mentioned with Oakland and Detroit. We can't be because we actually win games. Our problem is we are average. No one talks about us because we are normal and average, not too great, and not too horrible. We are on no ones talking points because we are average. It was easier to handle when we were really bad post Gibbs 1. Being average is more frustrating because like this year, we could have been a good playoff team if we could have just beaten two of the worst teams in the game. Average, average, mediocre.

Yeah, and as long as we have a reputation of an owner who just wants a coach who will be his little puppet, we will never be able to get somebody like a Cowher or a Shanahan or an up and coming star that's hot on everybody's list.

Or a Gibbs?

Personally, I don't think all that much about big names or "hot" assistants. They have flamed out as much as they have succeeded.

We're 2-3 years from even being mentioned in the same breath as some teams like even St. Louis or Kansas City. We've had one coach for 4 years, and thats the best we've done under Snyder. Nobody's gonna come here if they're going to be moving out in 2-3 years.

Granted, the last two coaches left of their own accord, with the owner perfectly willing to re-up those coaches.

I really don't think we are the laughing stock of the league. That is something people here make up because all they want to do is complain. We are not mentioned with Oakland and Detroit. We can't be because we actually win games. Our problem is we are average. No one talks about us because we are normal and average, not too great, and not too horrible. We are on no ones talking points because we are average. It was easier to handle when we were really bad post Gibbs 1. Being average is more frustrating because like this year, we could have been a good playoff team if we could have just beaten two of the worst teams in the game. Average, average, mediocre.

True...we're nowhere near a laughing stock. Oakland? Yes. Detroit, and their 0-16 season? Yes. Hell, even the Cowboys are far more of a laughing stock around the league than we are. Most gave Snyder and Vinny props for taking a chance on Zorn and giving him enough room to sink or swim on his own. Most gave Vinny props for sticking to the draft and not trying to "buy" a team through free agency, regardless if the rookies contributed right away or not. It's only a certain segment of Redskins fans who want to paint the team and the franchise as being viewed as a laughing stock around the league.

We are an average team like you said...and average teams don't really get much acknowledgement on anyone's radar.

I do too, but it goes further than that. If you like this team, then you should be praying that Zorn isn't fired or we'll get into this same cycle all over again.

Look, if Zorn is here I will support him. If not, I will support who's ever got the job! My job here is to be a fan, and route for my favorite team:logo: No need for me to look ahead, unless Synder puts me on the payroll.;)

Add to that the fact that we'll NEVER find our own "Cowher/Holmgren/Parcells/New Gibbs" unless we allow coaches who go 8-8 in their first year here to at least have a 2nd year here.

That same coach that would never have got a head coaching job in canada?

Marty didn't and he is a proven winner. Give a former QB coach a 2nd year just so the media will love you, thats garbage.

M E D I O C R E G A R B A G E

I guess this is a matter of opinion. I tend to lean towards the side that says we're a laughing stock for many different reasons. But I also realize that I say that partially because all I can do to keep myself as a sane Redskins fan is to laugh at this team. I mean, we are a team that used to constantly be the offseason champs and then go 7-9 or 5-11. We are also a team that has an owner who people think wants to be another Jerry Jones (this could be just disgruntled fans talking, or it could be some media members too, I don't know).

I don't know if we're on a level of an Oakland just yet, but I would think that if a coach doesn't feel he's going to get a fair share here, then it makes him less likely to want to come here. Thats exactly the situation in Oakland, and thats why I compared this place to Oakland. I don't think we're on the same level as Detroit and Oakland as far as victories because we have better talent, but lets not forget that last year (2007) Detroit started off 6-2 and then finished 8-8 as well, so there is a similarity there too.

But the main similarity I was thinking about was just having an owner with a quick trigger finger on the firing gun. If you don't see that, then maybe its all in my head, but thats just my opinion.

That same coach that would never have got a head coaching job in canada?

Marty didn't and he is a proven winner. Give a former QB coach a 2nd year just so the media will love you, thats garbage.

M E D I O C R E G A R B A G E

Its not about the media loving us. Its about a coach wondering what is good enough to get a second season. Not many coaches have 8-8 or better first seasons, and especially not many first timer coaches. So if a coach thinks that he has to win the division in his first year as coach in order to be invited back for a second season, he will probably be more likely to just decline the offer to come here and go to a different team where he can have more job security.

Look, if Zorn is here I will support him. If not, I will support who's ever got the job! My job here is to be a fan, and route for my favorite team:logo: No need for me to look ahead, unless Synder puts me on the payroll.;)

Yeah, I definately agree with that. And I definately think that part of being a fan is to have and state opinions on the team.

So if anyone feels that Zorn was a terrible hire and should be fired, then I can understand that and I'm not saying that they shouldn't feel that way.

But I just feel that there will be ramifications to firing Zorn and I kinda want to talk about those ramifications. Its not like Oakland was unable to hire a coach, and they do have a knack for discovering some coaching talent. Maybe we can do the same here. So maybe firing Zorn could lead to some good things.

Or a Gibbs?

Personally, I don't think all that much about big names or "hot" assistants. They have flamed out as much as they have succeeded.

Granted, the last two coaches left of their own accord, with the owner perfectly willing to re-up those coaches.

Yeah, I remember once Norv was a "hot" assistant, so there are definately flaws in the thinking that just because we are interviewing the "hot" assistants, we are going to get the good coaches.

And I even look at last season, I think Baltimore wanted Garrett, but settled for whoever they got after Garrett said no. But I bet they aren't disappointed with their coach now.

But I guess my opinion is that its always better to have more people wanting the job because then we've got the opportunity to choose amongst a larger pool, rather than having some guys excluding themselves because they are afraid of their job security.

After hearing Zorn on 980 last night I've come to the conclusion that he's another yes man right in line with Vinny. I get the feeling that he'd put his desk in the hall with Mr. Robiskie if Snyder told him to. He didn't know anything about his own staff (which he completely inherited other than SSmith). He's not the personality I was expecting. We need another Marty.

Archived