Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is it worth jailbreaking your iPhone?

Touchdown Redskins

YES :)

Also, it doesn't void any warranty. If something goes wrong, restore it to the original phone using any firmware and you'll be fine - all you are doing is modding the software.

For applications:

Cycorder - great video recorder, it puts out excellent videos.

vWallpaper - video wallpapers and video ringtones - check out this video I made on mine:

Winterboard - completely customize icons/sounds/etc.

NES/GBA/PSX Emulator - play all of these systems on your phone

Also, you can download any application that is cracked and install it various ways for free....

just make sure you restore your iPhone from iTunes before you have to take it in to the apple store or send it to apple for servicing. Otherwise you will be fine. I used quickpwn and it is so easy. Takes like 10 min to jailbreak and it has an install wizard that tells you how to do it step by step

Wow, thanks guys. So, I have another question now: when you use the firmware updates that Apple keeps sending out, that will take away every single application that uses the modded software?

Is there any registry or anything like that that will void my warranty?

Also, do the jailbreaking programs cost any money? Is there a site I can download these programs from that is reputable?

Thanks for all the help!

Wow, thanks guys. So, I have another question now: when you use the firmware updates that Apple keeps sending out, that will take away every single application that uses the modded software?

Is there any registry or anything like that that will void my warranty?

Also, do the jailbreaking programs cost any money? Is there a site I can download these programs from that is reputable?

Thanks for all the help!

When you use the new Apple updates, it will actually un-jailbreak your phone. As mentioned earlier, QuickPWN (or WINPWN) is the best way to jailbreak your phone. When each update comes out, do not update. The PWNing softwares update where you can upgrade the firmware while maintaining the jailbreak.

There is nothing that will void your warranty. Also, very rarely do 3rd party apps cost money, and if they do, you can find them cracked anywhere. When you jailbreak your phone initially, it will install CYDIA which hosts repositories of cracked applications and 3rd party applications. You can find additional repositories online - that's your best bet.

Also, sites like modmyi.com have great forums to find the latest news and applications out, as well as additional repositories to add.

What does this mean?

It basically unlocks the core files of the phone so you can manage them however you want.

Fuzzyskins, jailbreaking essentially means freeing your iPhone from software restrictions. You know how third parties make applications for the iPhone? Well, Apple sets limitations on what these programs can and cannot do. For instance, Apple does not allow you to mess with the brightness of your display. Once you jailbreak your iPhone, all these limitations are taken away, and you can get pretty good programs, from what I've heard.

For instance, one of the big reasons I want to jailbreak my iPhone is to get the cycorder, which allows your iPhone to have camcorder capabilities.

Fuzzyskins, jailbreaking essentially means freeing your iPhone from software restrictions. You know how third parties make applications for the iPhone? Well, Apple sets limitations on what these programs can and cannot do. For instance, Apple does not allow you to mess with the brightness of your display. Once you jailbreak your iPhone, all these limitations are taken away, and you can get pretty good programs, from what I've heard.

For instance, one of the big reasons I want to jailbreak my iPhone is to get the cycorder, which allows your iPhone to have camcorder capabilities.

Gotcha....so what entails jailbreaking? Do you physically remove something from the phone or is it about changing the iphone software?

Gotcha....so what entails jailbreaking? Do you physically remove something from the phone or is it about changing the iphone software?

These other guys will know better than I, but essentially you just use a program you can find on the internet, and it does the work for you. I think they all include "pwn" in the name of the jailbreaking application. It's just like syncing your iPhone to your computer.

Its basically a modified firmware for your iPhone. No hardware change. When apple upgrades or makes changes to the software version, and you sync your jailbroken phone, it will un-jailbreak it and be back to how it was before but with the new software changes. If you wait a few days, the jailbreak for the new version will be out and you can jailbreak again. What folks typically do, is wait until the new version is jailbroken then update to the new updated jailbroken version so that they dont have to go a day or week without there jailbroken apps that way you also have the changes that apple implemented (bug fixes and any new features)

Hey guys, I just JBed my iPhone, and I'm very happy with the results.

Here are some detailed instructions (along with a youtube clip to boot) on how to perform the operation, if anyone's curious:

http://www.ipodtouchhacks.com/ipod-touch/detailed-instructions-on-how-to-use-quickpwn/

So, to the people who have already JBed their iPhone...any good apps I should get? And how do you avoid getting a ton of advertisements from some app you don't have a review of?

Hey guys, I just JBed my iPhone, and I'm very happy with the results.

Here are some detailed instructions (along with a youtube clip to boot) on how to perform the operation, if anyone's curious:

http://www.ipodtouchhacks.com/ipod-touch/detailed-instructions-on-how-to-use-quickpwn/

So, to the people who have already JBed their iPhone...any good apps I should get? And how do you avoid getting a ton of advertisements from some app you don't have a review of?

Is your phone 2.2 or 2.0? Just wondering.

Umm.....what do you mean you cant change the brightness on your display??? I can change mine...See settings, then brightness.....

Umm.....what do you mean you cant change the brightness on your display??? I can change mine...See settings, then brightness.....

Well, it was just an example. But what I meant was they don't allow programs to necessarily mess with the brightness settings. So, for instance, the jailbroken iPhone has a flashlight that is MUCH brighter than the regular downloadable flashlight app from the app store because of the limitations Apple puts on software developers.

I did mine as well today, very cool... Its almost too much stuff available. I've wasted the day away browsing themes and looking for other cool stuff.

I found the Super NES emulator, but have idea where to get games from...

Google "free NES roms" - there are great sites with hundreds of them available.

Sorry for the lack of input, my DSL is still shot and I'm still typing from my phone :(

Archived