Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Mark Teixeira to the mother****in Yankees. (merged)

Spaceman Spiff

I don't know why O's fans would be bitter. Why would Tex want to play for an awful club with an awful owner? At least the Nats were looking up and played in a much weaker division.

And despite Nats fans saying we have a horrible team and a horrible farm system, we still ended up winning 9 more games then them. How would Tex going to DC be any different? The Nats have as many holes as the O's do, maybe more at the major league level. You guys just signed D-Cab, so you must be desperate, because he blows.

If that statement had come from you I might have believed it. As it were, I think he meant the whole 'free agents = championship' mentality. And, if it did, the Redskins are a better analogy than the Cowboys.

I took it as Cowboys- Paper Champions by the media every year and the Yankees would be the same thing. They are virtually picked by someone in the media to win it all every year and this will only fuel the fire.

I don't have a problem with the Yankees trying to win, but let’s be reasonable here.

The Yankees ownership stake in YES allows them to print money in a way that no other franchise could dream of. The Pirates, Reds, Rays, Marlins, White Sox, Rangers, Astros, A's, Twins, Brewers, or the Royals could never even dream of creating such a network.

The Yanks now have the top 4 highest players in the game all on one team. According to reports they might be after the 5th in Manny. Show me another sport that would stand for that!

It's not about making every team equal, but how in the world can a team compete when they are relegated only to the draft. If Bud Selig had half a spine we'd have a Salary Cap like every other sport.

Local TV/Radio is how the Yankees make ALOT of their money. I would be for a lockout by the owners to get a salary cap and cancel a season, but unfortunately there are owners of some teams that wouldn't stand for it. Selig would have to pretty much ORDER it himself and as you said, he has no spine to do that.

Yeah right...:doh:

Celtics 17 titles going on 18

Lakers 13 titles maybe going on 14

Next highest- Bulls with 6. It's a 2 team league in the NBA and with recent Spurs, Nets, Pistons games being boring 76-68 games, the NBA thrust Kobe and KG back into the limelight with their storied franchises to relive the good old days of the 1980's when Bird and Magic ruled the hardwood.

most of the titles you are speaking of for the Celts came a LONG time ago. If you go from the 70s on you will see it is pretty evened out. The Pistons, Bulls, Blazers, Suns were always hanging around and gave pretty good runs at the Lakers and Celts. Then the Pistons overtook them and the Bulls gave them a good run. Then The Bulls took over and the Rockets/Suns gave them pretty good runs. The NBA is much more evened out then those stats lead you to believe.

• 4 weeks later...

There's been meetings with owners recently about the salary cap but it's likely that baseball will remain without a salary cap. The question is whether the sport really need a cap. Sure , you can go out like the Yankees and spend for three free agents in an effort to win another ring , but it's no guarantee that the Yankees will be winning another world title.

The Rays managed to reach the World Series. The Rays...not exactly a team that spends like crazy. And they did it the way it should be done , the whole farm system thing , wise spending , etc. We've seen in the Twins and A's that you don't necessarily need a big Yankee budget to be successful , and the Rays further reinforce this.

Good point. One major asset the Yanks have is Cashman. I kind of wish he'd become the Skins GM... :D
I am not sure how good Cashman is. He has some rings, but just about all of those guys were brought up in the organization or already on the roster. Outside of the group he inherited, he has had an open checkbook and no titles. If the "boss" was with it, Cashman would have been gone by 2003.

Archived