Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Zorn now claims he's NOT the worst coach

Horatio

"4 pro-bowl players on offense"? Very telling. I think the Snyder Hype Machine has infected his brain. I guess using that logic Zorn probably thinks the defense sucks.

Can't argue with your logic there...also he doesn't talk about the Defense too often...he does tricks with a ball...and he lives that offensive system he has put in....and...oh no....You ever notice how Steve Spurrier and him are never in the same place?

And some guy tried to argue in another thread that Cooley's fumbles weren't a big deal.
He's always been prone to fumbles and this year it has gotten even worse. He's also had quite a few in his career that went out of bounds, came out after a knee was just barely down, etc. He's one of our few bright spots but that is definitely his weakness.

Like I said in the other thread: 3 this year and 7 total in his whole career. Yup that is A LOT of fumbles. :doh:

But since the offense is sputtering this year his fumbles are magnified!!!

By the way, of those 7 fumbles, 3 (almost half), occured this season. Last year he had 66 catches and 1 fumble. The year before 57 cathes and 0 fumbles.

So, his fumbles this year are a problem.

We could do this all day. It was fun honest.

But ok, yes his fumbles are clearly a problem, but the numbers are so small compared to what he has done for the team that you cannot use it as a negative argument against him.

Mathematically speaking, he is standing at under 1% of his receptions are fumbles. Granted I've never looked into other receivers/tight ends to compare numbers, but that can't be terrible.

Edit - I should fix it to say under 1% of his receptions are lost fumbles.

....You ever notice how Steve Spurrier and him are never in the same place?
I certainly agree that the one comparison of Spurrier and Zorn that sticks is the flakiness. And I used to think them as similar coaches. Then I reviewed Spurriers stats. Holy cow did Spurrier do a lot with absolutely nothing on offense. He had No RBs, No Wr and No QBs and still had 44 passing tds vs only 36 int in 2 years. With pretty solid team rushing stats. He never had playmakers like the Skins do now.

It's not about sure-handed ness, it's about ball security. When he runs after the catch and makes contact with defenders, he frequently forgets to put two arms on the ball.

Cooley is definitely a bright spot, but 2 lost fumbles are too many for a player of his caliber.

Cooley fumbles because he fights so hard to prevent from going down. There will be three guys on him, one of them just going for the ball, and Cooley will fight to stay up and gain extra yards. It is one of those good with the bad things, it is good that he gets the extra yards and fights to stay up, but that means extra chance to strip the ball when he is mostly stopped and working on his second effort.

I certainly agree that the one comparison of Spurrier and Zorn that sticks is the flakiness. And I used to think them as similar coaches. Then I reviewed Spurriers stats. Holy cow did Spurrier do a lot with absolutely nothing on offense. He had No RBs, No Wr and No QBs and still had 44 passing tds vs only 36 int in 2 years. With pretty solid team rushing stats. He never had playmakers like the Skins do now.

Well, he didn't want the playmakers either, he hired an all florida staff, and was set to have Danny Werful as his starter untill Snyder insisted that he atleast get Shane Matthews.

Same for RBs and WRs. He had Stephen Davis, but didn't use him, and his WR were Florida guys, but the only ones that produced were leftovers from Marty.

Cooley fumbles because he fights so hard to prevent from going down. There will be three guys on him, one of them just going for the ball, and Cooley will fight to stay up and gain extra yards. It is one of those good with the bad things, it is good that he gets the extra yards and fights to stay up, but that means extra chance to strip the ball when he is mostly stopped and working on his second effort.

None of his fumbles look like that.

And that's exactly why this team is never going to be good. Things start to look ugly for a bit and everyone wants a new coach. :rolleyes:

It's the fact that this team's regression has been so drastic it has been almost Spurrieresque and Zorn seems like he isn't paying attention to his own flaws.

Pointing to the pro-bowlers as a measufring stick as to how the offense is doing is rather flawed.

If the team shows signs of life these last two games..hey I am all in favor of keeping him and admitting I was wrong about letting him go...but if they're sleepwalking like they have been the last few games...case-closed.

Archived