Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

JC's Accuracy

helptheSKINS

The guy is hitting mid-60's in comp %. And if all you can remember is 2 "inacurrate" throws, one of which you cant even describe, and the other which was a well thrown ball to an out of place receiver.....Id say your QB is doing pretty well.

MAN I hate these threads. What is wrong with some of you people? Is there not a well thought out, well prepared, creative, informative post among your kind?

MAN I hate when someone is discussing specific throws and some homer comes on and throws out a broad statement covering every throw. Here's a tip for you. The vast majority of Skins passes are short with some intermediate ones thrown in. JC is 11th in the league in completion percentage but only 21st in Yards Per Attempt. That's because he's having trouble with the deep ball including fade routes. Enough of the "WR dropped the ball" BS because every QB has that. I also don't want to hear he's 21st in YPA because of the WC offense. JC gets plenty of YAC.

So many here act like it's a sin to critique JC. I want the guy to do well just like everyone else. If you think he's throwing the ball well downfield then good luck to you. He's not and he's got one the hottest RB's in the game to set it up. Pass blocking is an issue with the deep ball but that's only part of it.

We average 18 points a game. That horrible Seattle team we just played that had it's top 6 receivers out for half the year averages more points then us. We are one dimensional and that is because of JC more then anyone else. Throwing a better deep ball, including sideline routes would make a huge difference.

Good post, nice piture. (How did you get it so clear?)

The clarity of the pic is thanks to the great recaps of the game by InsaneBoost.

Any chances the OP (confronted with hard evidence) admits he's wrong and gives a mea culpa?

Does the last post by the OP answer your question? :rolleyes:

I guess one pic of Jason's accuracy on the deep ball to Moss wasn't enough. Maybe another angle will help. :D

bg8n6v.jpg

This is so funny and sad a the same time.

The "QB pundits" (you know who you are) last week stated that "JC does not take enough shots downfield".

Now they are saying he is not accurate enough downfield... nevermind that we took alot of deep shots yesterday... AND despite the drops by our receivers, he still managed a 61% completion rating.

Just... WOW!!!

The clarity of the pic is thanks to the great recaps of the game by InsaneBoost.

Does the last post by the OP answer your question? :rolleyes:

I guess one pic of Jason's accuracy on the deep ball to Moss wasn't enough. Maybe another angle will help. :D

bg8n6v.jpg

I don't remember saying that JC is a horrible QB. I do remember saying that he needs to work on his accuracy downfield including sideline passes.

Here's a great one for all of you who are incredibly in love with JC that you find it criminal to criticize him. He is the QB of the team that is only ahead of the Chiefs, Lions, Raiders, Bengals and Rams in PPG. This is with the leading rusher in the NFL. We have 3 plays of over 40 yards this season. Unless you can prove that the Skins WR's drop more deep passes then other teams (which they don't), you should take off the homer glasses and realize it's OK to discuss things that JC isn't doing well. If you are good with 21st in Yards Per Attempt and 3 total plays of 40+ yards then keep on with your argument.

JC is a good QB, he is not a great QB. He struggles with certain passes, which I think includes fade routes and deep sideline routes. I appreciate the pic above but it's one pic. I didn't say he never throws a good deep ball, I said he struggles at it.

While all the insults are great, maybe you should take a look at what I've actually said before tossing out the standard homer bashing.

The vast majority of Skins passes are short with some intermediate ones thrown in. JC is 11th in the league in completion percentage but only 21st in Yards Per Attempt.

How can you stat the actual reason for JC YPA in your 1st sentence.

Then jump to this unsupported conclusion?

That's because he's having trouble with the deep ball including fade routes.
So many here act like it's a sin to critique JC. I want the guy to do well just like everyone else.

There are plenty of critiques you could make of JC that i would likely agree with, but not on his deep ball. I mean c'mon dude. You can actually SEE the ball in Moss hands.

WAKE UP-

:cheers:

This is so funny and sad a the same time.

The "QB pundits" (you know who you are) last week stated that "JC does not take enough shots downfield".

Now they are saying he is not accurate enough downfield... nevermind that we took alot of deep shots yesterday... AND despite the drops by our receivers, he still managed a 61% completion rating.

Just... WOW!!!

I would like to see a breakdown of what the rate of completion is for QBs and deep throws like the fade.

Any stat geeks?

HelpTheSkins:

JC's low touchdown numbers is probably due to red zone and pass protection woes more than deep ball problems. Devin Thomas had a TD in the Dallas game but Campbell checked down due to pressure. ARE had one in Detroit but Campbell fumbled due to pressure. Sellers dropped one in Seattle.

Eli Manning has 15 of his touchdown from inside the red zone: http://www.nfl.com/players/elimanning/situationalstats?id=MAN473170

Kurt Warner has 18 :http://www.nfl.com/players/kurtwarner/situationalstats?id=WAR492511

Farve has 15 from inside the red zone: http://www.nfl.com/players/brettfavre/situationalstats?id=FAV540222

So if JC has to catch up to these guys in terms of TDs, he should be concerned with Red Zone production

MAN I hate when someone is discussing specific throws and some homer comes on and throws out a broad statement covering every throw. Here's a tip for you. The vast majority of Skins passes are short with some intermediate ones thrown in. JC is 11th in the league in completion percentage but only 21st in Yards Per Attempt. That's because he's having trouble with the deep ball including fade routes. Enough of the "WR dropped the ball" BS because every QB has that. I also don't want to hear he's 21st in YPA because of the WC offense. JC gets plenty of YAC.

So many here act like it's a sin to critique JC. I want the guy to do well just like everyone else. If you think he's throwing the ball well downfield then good luck to you. He's not and he's got one the hottest RB's in the game to set it up. Pass blocking is an issue with the deep ball but that's only part of it.

We average 18 points a game. That horrible Seattle team we just played that had it's top 6 receivers out for half the year averages more points then us. We are one dimensional and that is because of JC more then anyone else. Throwing a better deep ball, including sideline routes would make a huge difference.

The difference is everything you just said you are pinning on Campbell. Do you realize he has had no protection for half the season? I mean NONE. Thats just one aspect of it.

How many balls has he actually had time to throw downfield???? Of those balls, the majority have been well placed catchable balls, and thats a fact.

No one is slurping on him here, we are defending him from this ridiculous criticism. Dude the guy is having an incredibly accurate (INT's and %) season and you just HAVE to come on and post a thread titled "JC's Accuracy." GIVE ME A BREAK!

Those fade routes failed because of Kelly, not JC. It's the responsibility of the WR to give the QB enough space to work with to complete the sideline pass. When Kelly loses position and gets forced to the sideline, where do you expect JC to throw it? If he throws it in bounds the only one with a chance to make the play is the defensive back. The throw has to be the the WR's outside shoulder every time.

I agree, and to piggyback off of this I believe that particular play yesterday showed why Zorn is correct in these rookies not knowing how to properly run routes yet.

If Kelly would of gave a hard inside move on that DB then it would of allowed him to beat him to that corner they were looking to throw to. Instead Kelly simply gave a go route with very little movement to make that fade really work. If you go back and watch the play you will see exactly what I'm talking about.

Remember, these routes are only as good as the WR's on this football team makes them. Kelly certainly could of done a better job selling it inside IMO...but with that being said Campbell still threw the ball out of bounds, so who knows if that throw would of been accurate if Kelly actually did what I mentioned.

It's takes over 4 seconds to run a 40 yard dash. Running a 40 yard route is going to take longer. So the question is, does Campbell have 5 seconds or more of time from the OL to do so? Doesn't look like it. I think Ratliff layed a lick on him after his completion to Randle El in the Dallas game

Also, a QB needs to set his feet and have time to follow through on the damn throw. Does Campbell have time to do this on longer throws so he can actually BE ACCURATE? Shoddy protection says it's more often in the negative...

Actually, I find a lot of merit in 'helptheSKINS' comments. I'll stand up and support most of what he's said. And I expect flak for doing so.

One thing Skin fans should be asking is, when a running back like Portis getting our team a tough 143 yards in a game, and racking up all crucial first downs -- why wasn't the passing game more effective during that game? And ... maybe doesn't Jason Campbell has a piece of the responsibility for why the Skins didn't score more?

Now I don't want to play the stat game, because it doesn't describe context. However over the last couple of games, but I was left with the distinct impression that Campbell hasn't been that accurate in hitting his receivers in stride; especially on the short/medium routes. (He's been off on the long routes as well.) For example, in the Seattle game I recall a play when Cooley had beaten the linebacker by more than a yard; Campbell's pass sailed high, and by the time Cooley had reined the pass in, the linebacker was on him. If Campbell hits Cooly in stride, this would have been a big gainer. I've gotten used to the idea, that with Campbell, you get 'vicinity passing.' (Actually, I believe "vicinity" was one of Zorn's words.) Whatever, I saw a lot of passes from Campbell that were near the receiver, but not hitting the receiver in stride. Considering the range of the pass, that becomes an accuracy issue.

I don't like leveling this critique on Campbell. Frankly, as a Skins fan I'm pulling for Campbell to step up to the next level, because I can see that Portis is wearing down. Portis is giving his all to get the Skins back to the playoffs, and I hate to see such an effort wasted. But as I currently see it, should Portis not be able to play in a big game, the Skins would be hard-pressed to rely on a offense based solely on a Jason Campbell aerial attack, And ... maybe ... this was because there are more than a few who might doubt whether Jason is in the top-10 NFL QBs in accuracy, speed of release, or field vision. Currently, I'm not convinced Campbell is in the top tier.

RE:Campbell's stats: A WCO system can inflate completion stats -- with safety outlet passes, 3-yard dinks, etc. So maybe we should be looking at how long those pass were and how much those completions yielded. Then there's the context -- what's the value of completing a 4 yard pass, while turning down an open 12 yard pass that could have converted the 3rd down. That doesn't seem to be the mark of a successful QB.

What really bothers me is how some are trying to point to all of Campbell's supporting cast as having let Jason down, and not allowing him to show he's a franchise QB. Instead blame the O-Line, the secondary WRs, Moss, the RB's blocking . . . and even the Coach's (Gibbs, Zorn) play-calling. This is *****, because a true team leader doesn't wait for his associates to raise his game. No, if Jason is truly to be the Skins franchise QB, it's time for him to step up and prove he can be a leader of the Redskins, and not someone just sporting a #17 jersey. If he does, I'll be the first to admit I was wrong about him. --Right now, I see Portis is the team leader, not Campbell.

The longer I watch Campbell -- the more I admire how hard he's trying . But the NFL is cruel, and you've got to be decisive, and incisive. Jason needs time to set up, find the open receiver and be accurate passing -- but currently he won't get that kind of time against the aggressive NFL defenses. So, maybe it's time Jason finds a way to speed up his mechanics, reads, etc, -- before the Skins FO start looking for someone who can.

My apologies to those were offended by this post.

JC's accuracy on sideline routes has been absolutely horrible. There were at least 2 plays including one to Malcolm in the endzone where JC throws the ball where even if it's caught the receiver is out of bounds. I haven't see this mentioned anywhere. These are completely wasted plays. With a burner like Santana even if he does catch it, there's a good chance hell land out of bounds or his momentum will force him out for no yards after catch. I hope Zorn has noticed this because it's a major issue with the passing game.

Maybe you should offer your services and teach him:doh:

Campbell has consistantly outperformed the opposing Qbs this season with questionable protection. How many times has he been outperformed? This season he has outperformed Warner, Romo sits to pee, Brees, McNabb, to name a few.

You can't compare his performance because those QB's were playing against our steller defense.

None of those teams defenses are as good as ours. Can you imagine Brees throwing against the Saints defense...

The pass protection was decent until we put in Jon Jansen.

I honestly do not worry about JC's accuracy. I see way more dropped balls and missed blocks than I do bad throws. Some of you need to watch some other teams, you'll see way more bad throws than you ever see from Campbell.

You guys are too hard on him, I mean look at Hasslebecks performance yesterday, he had lots of bad throws and he is supposed to be "accurate" according to you most.

Campbell has consistantly outperformed the opposing Qbs this season with questionable protection. How many times has he been outperformed? This season he has outperformed

Warner, Romo sits to pee, Brees, McNabb, to name a few.

Or like Rodgers terrible performance tonight, i'm glad we got campbell instead of him.

I think this one has been talked out. Besides a few (great post Wyvern), everyone seems convinced that JC is playing great football. I think he's played well enough not to lose games. I think Portis and our defense is the reason we have won 7. I'm a big JC fan and hope he continues to improve, which was the point of this thread. I was not trying to bash him. The Redskins don't scare anyone when it comes to big plays. The receivers have made some drops but every team has that. JC is 21st in YPA which is a big reason why he's 10th in completion percentage. If we start connecting more on deep balls, the whole offense opens up including Portis.

HTTR

You can't compare his performance because those QB's were playing against our steller defense.

None of those teams defenses are as good as ours. Can you imagine Brees throwing against the Saints defense...

The pass protection was decent until we put in Jon Jansen.

Ha, Brees against the Saints? It would probably look a lot like he did against the Packers last night. But Brees also has great receivers, a pass blocking o-line, and a pass happy offense. There is no doubt Brees is better than Campbell, but he still has some advantages.

We need to put Heyers feet on Jansens body so that we can have a well rounded RT.

JC's accuracy on sideline routes has been absolutely horrible. There were at least 2 plays including one to Malcolm in the endzone where JC throws the ball where even if it's caught the receiver is out of bounds. I haven't see this mentioned anywhere. These are completely wasted plays. With a burner like Santana even if he does catch it, there's a good chance hell land out of bounds or his momentum will force him out for no yards after catch. I hope Zorn has noticed this because it's a major issue with the passing game.

that kelly pass was kelly's fault

Ha, Brees against the Saints? It would probably look a lot like he did against the Packers last night. But Brees also has great receivers, a pass blocking o-line, and a pass happy offense. There is no doubt Brees is better than Campbell, but he still has some advantages.

We need to put Heyers feet on Jansens body so that we can have a well rounded RT.

Agreed!!!!!!:applause:

Thats not accurate. Two Things.

Yes, JC has been a little inaccurate on throwing the out route. I don't know what his completion percentage on throwing towards the sideline but does seem to overthrow the WR a lot.

Next, the play in question was a mistake by Coach Zorn and he admitted it yesterday. I was initially upset with MK because as a WR you are trying to get to the cornerback to move off his spot but also giving yourself (and the QB) a chance to make the play in bounds (Hence, why they painted burngundy lines 4-5 yards inside the sideline during training camp to practice this very thing). It looked liked MK just simply took an OUTSIDE release to the edge of the sideline and gave himself no room to make the catch in bounds (and didn't JC a chance to throw it to him inbounds.). BUT, the ball was on the left hash and essentially the route was called into the boundary (short side of the field). Zorn admitted yesterday that he should have flipped the play to the wider side of the field to give JC and MK more room to operate. MK did the right thing with the outside release because presumably that is how they practiced it because the play is suppose to be run to the wide side of the field. Verdict: Coach Zorn wasted a play and a great opportunity to see MK get his first TD because he was a huge mismatch for their tiny corners.

It is tough to complete balls down field when all your throw are WR sreens, RB drop Offs, Pass that go less than 5 yards to TE and REceivers. 80 to 90% of his throws do not go over 5 to 8 yrds...... Hard to complete down field if you never throw those tough passes.

I support Wyvern's positions on Jason Campbell. I also think that JC's completion percentage is overvalued because just completing a short pass is not the design of the WCO. The QB is supposed to hit his receivers in stride so they can turn a short pass into a longer gain. JC's "vicinity" passing is not good enough for this offense to work the way it should.

I also think that JC has a Red Zone phobia. He 's just not very good in the Red Zone. I'll use the pass to Sellers as an example. Yes, I know that a pro athlete is supposed to catch a pass that he gets his hands on, but the pass was high. It was not an easy catch, and it should have been because the throw should have been much better than it was. Campbell had a clear line of sight and an open lane to Sellers but, for some reason, JC failed to make a good throw.

Look, say what you want about his supporting cast - and the Skins have made myriad Red Zone mistakes by just about every offensive player - but JC hasn't shown himself to be "money" in the Red Zone. Sometimes a good QB just needs to make a play.

I see a lot of improvement in JC. Nevertheless, it seems to me that if he is an accurate passer, then he must need to improve enough to become a VERY accurate passer for this offense to click. Also, he needs to calm down and/or develop better touch so he can make more plays on third down and in the Red Zone.

No doubt, he needs help from his teammates. They need to give him better protection and they need to run better pass routes. Regardless of those things, he also needs to get much better himself on third down and in the Red Zone to become a more effective NFL QB. In short, HE needs to make more plays, even when things break down, for the Redskins to score more points.

Archived