Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Beer Thread

RedskinsFanInTX

What's this place called? :ols: Makes Rockville look like bargain shopping.

its called "West Dupont Circle Wines and Liquors"

its very close to the metro stop and I'm looking at a map now and there is another one like a block away that i might stop and check out :ols:

Edited by Skinz4Life12

The Fear is yummy, by far the best Pumpkin Brew i have ever had.

Indeed - it is awesome! Flying Dog is one of my favorite breweries.....$22 is freakish for a sixer! Glad y'all are finding the more reasonable spots.

Also, for those in northern va (or don't mind the drive), the NoVa Fall Brewfest is coming up. http://novabrewfest.com/fall/ I've been to a few of the summer ones and have enjoyed it. Always like finding some craft beers that are new to me.

i placed an order for The Fear at my local convenience store/market. Guy said he would charge normal price for flying dog (9.50). We will see

---------- Post added October-17th-2011 at 12:27 PM ----------

another beer/liquor store in dupont wanted to charge 15.99 for The Fear but I held off and found a better deal down the street. how much did everyone else pay for a 6 pack of The Fear?

Hit the jackpot today! Picked up 6 "The Fear" beers, a DFH 120 and a Heavy Seas Great'er Pumkin - which is a supped-up version of the Heavy Seas Great Pumpkin that I had last week. Aged in bourbon barrels. So, to sum it up, "The Fear" has some heavy competition tonight.

Went crazy in the beer store when I saw the 120, it's evaded me for too long, haven't had it in over a year.

319503_10150880289770290_651690289_21452987_2096151988_n.jpg

Did you check Total Wine? I want some Fear also. Might call them later.

No checked out some places in the Fan and Corks & Kegs. Let me know if you have luck with total wine. I just moved to Richmond about a month ago so I wasn't sure of the best place to search. Picked up a six of lagunitas little sumpin' wild ale this evening.. so good

Flying Dog "The Fear" Pumpkin Ale

8931637-13160185-thumbnail.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1310492243424

Color: Black, with a brown outline in the light.

Aroma: Raisins, plums and chocolate with a pumpkin pie touch.

Flavor: Pumpkin pie flavor is at a relatively medium strength. Dark chocolate, roasted malt and dark fruit make up a lot of the flavor. It's boozy as hell, and quite medicinal.

Mouthfeel: Pretty light body. It takes away from its heavy "pumpkin stout" theme.

Finish. Bitter roast, an undertone of pumpkin pie, but the booze stands out the most.

Overall I'll give this Flying Dog beer a medium B grade. It's a good switch-up from the normal orange-ish pumpkin spiced brew. I damn near tear-up when I imagine this one with a bigger, classier body. Still good!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Heavy Seas "The Great'er Pumpkin"

heavyseasgreaterp-300x300.jpg

Had this at the same time as I had a "Flying Dog The Fear." Unbelievable differences among two beers of the same style. Bright orange, with a glow to it.

Aroma is bourbon-booze, vanilla, pumpkin pie, pineapple.

Flavor, you can really taste that bourbon. It also has a strong oak backbone - the barrels they aged this beer in dominate the flavor. Pumpkin pie takes a back seat, still in there somewhere, peaks its head out here and there. Exhale through your nose and this momma is boozy. 10% alcohol, and dominated by bourbon.

I admittedly have very high expectations for the "1-up" beers (as I call them). Where a brewery takes one of their beers and makes it even "better". In this case, I'd take the regular "The Great Pumpkin" over it's big brother.

--------------------------------------------------------

I had a Dogfish Head 120 also, so the "booze" theme was at an all-time high tonight (for beer at least). At one point, I combined The Fear and The Great'er Pumpkin in to a tulip glass and it was actually pretty damn good!

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

so you were disappointed with The Fear? I'm still waiting to get my hands on some

The Fear is good, unique, good flavors! Just think this beer begs for fully-blown Imperial Pumpkin Stout-hood. The good flavors would be enhanced, and the medicine/alcohol subdued. Still worth picking up, guys. It's new, different from the normal pumpkin ale, it's certainly not bad, just didn't knock my socks off.

so you were disappointed with The Fear? I'm still waiting to get my hands on some

I actually really liked The Fear, most pumpkin brews are to sweet to me, The Fear is a perfect combo of bitterness, and spices, I liked the booze flavors as well.

Right now i'm drinking a Stone 15th Anniversary Escondidian Imperial Black IPA, 10.8 percent, this brew is like a stout but has a HUGE hop finish. I've had black IPA's before but never a Black "Imperial" IPA. If you see this 22, grab it, watch out though it packs many of punches.

Posted this in the Pearl Jam thread, but thought some here would care...

http://www.dogfish.com/community/news/press-releases/faithfull-ale-release-plans.htm

Packaging is complete and in the next few days, Faithfull Ale, our celebration of Pearl Jam's 20th anniversary as a band and its extraordinary debut album, "Ten," will be hitting the market.

Faithfull_bottling_2.jpg

Faithfull Ale bottles on the line.

As with many of our new beer releases, we've had a lot of interest in when and where folks will be able to grab & enjoy Faithfull Ale. Here's what we can share at this point.

Ideally, we will sell this beer in all 27 U.S. states in which we currently do business -- but that may not happen. We have applied for state approval in all 27 of those states (full list here). For a variety of reasons, some states may not approve this beer for sale. Some may only approve draft sales. That is all out of our hands. Since this is a brand-new release, we only recently applied to these states -- but approvals have already begun rolling in.

Once we get approval from a state, Faithfull Ale will be added to the next outgoing order for each wholesaler. This means that the beer will be leaving our Milton, DE brewery in waves over the next few weeks. Once it travels to a wholesaler in a particular state, it will then need to travel to retailers throughout their sales territory. We cannot tell you exactly which day it will appear on the shelves in your area (assuming you are in one of the 27 U.S. states where we do business). We do not plan to export any of this beer outside of the U.S.

Edited by rictus58

I actually really liked The Fear, most pumpkin brews are to sweet to me, The Fear is a perfect combo of bitterness, and spices, I liked the booze flavors as well.

Right now i'm drinking a Stone 15th Anniversary Escondidian Imperial Black IPA, 10.8 percent, this brew is like a stout but has a HUGE hop finish. I've had black IPA's before but never a Black "Imperial" IPA. If you see this 22, grab it, watch out though it packs many of punches.

Well I finally got my hands on THE FEAR (13.99 from Total Wine) and after 3 beers it has really grown on me. At first I wasn't that impressed with the taste, but after the first one I really started picking up on the pumpkin and spices. Halfway through the 6 pack I find the beer very enjoyable.

Super boozy as double and goskins said, and you are feeling drunk after 2 of them in an hour. Definately a must try for pumpkin beer lovers. Great Halloween beer

Edited by Skinz4Life12

Good to hear you liked The Fear, I had another the other day and yeah, it's good. Today my girl brought us home a Dogfish Head 120, a Heavy Seas The Great Pumpkin and a Heavy Seas Yule Tide. Getting ahead of myself with the Winter seasonals, but hey what the hell, can't complain. Can't wait to see that Sierra Nevada Celebration, it's always talked about, but for good reason.

Best deal out there right now is the Samuel Adams Winter Classics 12 pack.

2 Boston Lagers

2 Winter Lagers

2 Holiday Porters

2 Black & Brews

2 Chocolate Bocks

2 Fezziwig Ales

Got mine for $16. Also got a Heavy Seas Smoke on the Water (Smoked Porter). Love smokey flavored beers, so I'm especially happy to have that one.