Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Beer Thread

RedskinsFanInTX

My go-to beer is the Flying Dog Double Dog DPA. Just a hefty, very well rounded beer. For a quick-pick stout I go with the Samuel Adams Cream Stout most commonly. Again, real solid body, which I am very particular about. 'Specially for a stout. Cheap enough to be considered a steal in my eyes.

Where do you find the DPA, i live and work in Fredneck and havent seen those 4 packs in a long while...

---------- Post added February-12th-2011 at 09:54 PM ----------

Just picked up some Abita TurboDog, I've seen it in stores forever but this is my first time trying it. Will leave a review as soon as I crack into them.

I enjoy the Turbo Dog and currently have a couple in the fridge, mid 90's this beer was excellent, i swear they changed the recipe, either way it's an enjoyable brew.

Where do you find the DPA, i live and work in Fredneck and havent seen those 4 packs in a long while...

:ols:@ "Fredneck". Didn't pick up on that until spellcheck had it underlined.

In Montgomery County the DPA is in almost every beer store and deli I go to. Rockville in particular.

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

135049.jpg

Bottled this past Wednesday. Delicious beer - think we did well with this one. Should hit stores in about a week and a half. Enjoy!

I can't wait to try it....hoping to hit the brewery next Saturday. I tell you what, the Black Cannon is growing on me. The more I drink it, the more I like it.

Yesterday, I bought a six-pack of Magic Hat "DEMO I.P.A." It's a black IPA that is supposed to be real hopped up. I was hoping it would be a style similiar to the Cannon, (which wouldn't hurt my feelings cuz it costs $2.00 less), but it was not nearly as good. Don't get me wrong, it's damn good, but it does not satisfy my inner hop-head. It tastes more like a porter, pumped up with hops.

I'm looking forward to the AARSH....

---------- Post added February-13th-2011 at 09:55 AM ----------

Oscar Blues Dale's Pale Ale

dales-pale-ale_300.jpg

Appearance: Foggy Amber, milky tan head, low to moderate lacing

Aroma: Grapefruit, pine, toast, bannana bread

Flavor: Hop flavor all the way, subtle yet bitter, sweet and tart, grassy with pine, citrus dwarfed. Malt virtually absent.

Body: Dry - light. Alcohol warmth is mellow, great touch.

Summary: High bitterness for an APA, but could use a malt backbone. While a decent experience for hop heads - it doesn't really have a dynamic hop flavor. No malt; it just feels unfinished. Not my cup of Pale Ale.

B- (82)

I love this stuff...it's my favorite canned beer. The bitterness is off the hook. Oskar Blues is the king of canned beer. If you like malt, you would probably like their Scottish ale, (Old Chub), which is very, very good. I don't care for malty brews, but even I like this one.

They have an excellent pilsner too, (Mama's Little Yella Pils). I usually pick up a sixer, or two, of that in the summer. I'd like to try their Imperial Stout, (Ten FIDY), but it's just so damn expensive.

You should note that Oskar Blues dates their beer on the bottom of their cans. Definitely check the date on the can before buying.

I wish more craft brewers would can their beer, it's superior packaging to bottling, (no light damage or a chance of air being introduced when filled), and it's cheaper to boot.

I love this stuff...it's my favorite canned beer. The bitterness is off the hook. Oskar Blues is the king of canned beer. If you like malt, you would probably like their Scottish ale, (Old Chub), which is very, very good. I don't care for malty brews, but even I like this one.

They have an excellent pilsner too, (Mama's Little Yella Pils). I usually pick up a sixer, or two, of that in the summer. I'd like to try their Imperial Stout, (Ten FIDY), but it's just so damn expensive.

You should note that Oskar Blues dates their beer on the bottom of their cans. Definitely check the date on the can before buying.

I wish more craft brewers would can their beer, it's superior packaging to bottling, (no light damage or a chance of air being introduced when filled), and it's cheaper to boot.

I'm not a real huge pilsner fan, but you always bring good advice to the table. Heard good stuff about the 'Lil Yella Pils, and today is so Spring-like that it I'm tempted to go get some. Will most likely end up getting a six of that stuff this Spring.

Been saving this Delirium Noel bomber for my craft beer night (which is tonight :)) Very excited, never had a Delirium brew before. Been really craving a Belgian, here we go!

I'm not a real huge pilsner fan, but you always bring good advice to the table. Heard good stuff about the 'Lil Yella Pils, and today is so Spring-like that it I'm tempted to go get some. Will most likely end up getting a six of that stuff this Spring.

Been saving this Delirium Noel bomber for my craft beer night (which is tonight :)) Very excited, never had a Delirium brew before. Been really craving a Belgian, here we go!

Had a Delirium Tremens over the summer , it was excellent..

I finally just got try a couple IPAs from Surly in Minnesota. Fantastic stuff. Love teh 16oz cans too.

I'm finally making it back to the area in a few weeks. Anywone want to meet up at the best beer bar for happy hour? Is there one worth seeking out? Pretty sure I'll want to check out Dogfishhead too, but won;t be in town for very long. Will probably also do a beer tasting at my brother's place. Too bad it isn't a UFC weekend 3/11-3/13ish), double and 98.

Will probably also do a beer tasting at my brother's place. Too bad it isn't a UFC weekend 3/11-3/13ish), double and 98.

Yeah, that weekend is empty for major league MMA. Push that date ahead a week and I'd definitely be up for an ES event for Jones/Shogun.

As far as Dogfish, as 99 pointed out to me, the sampler is a good way to go. Six 4oz. glasses of the 90, 60, Raisen D'Etre, Indian Brown Ale and I believe two seasonals. $8 for that...the snifter of the 90 costs $9.50 alone.

I agree with Skinsfan I love Dales Pale Ale I actually think its pretty well balanced when you consider how much hops they stuffed into that one.

Doublestroker: Your review of Dales Pale Ale to me reads like a review of their Old Gubna IPA which is too hoppy with little balance from the malt.

Mamas Little Yella Pils is the perfect summer session beer IMO. I love floating around in the pool with some Yella Pils after a round of some terrible golf.

I finally just got try a couple IPAs from Surly in Minnesota. Fantastic stuff. Love teh 16oz cans too.

I'm finally making it back to the area in a few weeks. Anywone want to meet up at the best beer bar for happy hour? Is there one worth seeking out? Pretty sure I'll want to check out Dogfishhead too, but won;t be in town for very long. Will probably also do a beer tasting at my brother's place. Too bad it isn't a UFC weekend 3/11-3/13ish), double and 98.

Yeah, that weekend is empty for major league MMA. Push that date ahead a week and I'd definitely be up for an ES event for Jones/Shogun.

As far as Dogfish, as 99 pointed out to me, the sampler is a good way to go. Six 4oz. glasses of the 90, 60, Raisen D'Etre, Indian Brown Ale and I believe two seasonals. $8 for that...the snifter of the 90 costs $9.50 alone.

Hit me up a little closer to when you'll be in town Sebow, I'd be down for meeting you guys for a beer tasting. I'll be busy that Saturday during the day, but I'm good later in the evening and the rest of the weekend.

Also, I posted earlier that I was going to review the Abita Turbodog, and it was a good beer, but last night I tried Lagunitas Lil' Sumpin' Sumpin' Ale:

LagunitasLittleSumpinSumpinAle.jpg

(not my pic BTW)

and this stuff was amazing. If you're a Hophead this is a must-try IMO. It's got that strong floral smell that's become a trademark of great IPAs, it pours a light-to-medium orange, and has the citrusy/piney West Coast hop taste that you crave so much. It's 7.5% ABV which is a little lower than most popular IPAs but it also helps give it a very smooth drinkability.

I give this one an A+ and rank it up there with Sierra Nevada, Green Flash and Dogfish Head in terms of great IPA production.

Hit me up a little closer to when you'll be in town Sebow, I'd be down for meeting you guys for a beer tasting. I'll be busy that Saturday during the day, but I'm good later in the evening and the rest of the weekend.

Also, I posted earlier that I was going to review the Abita Turbodog, and it was a good beer, but last night I tried Lagunitas Lil' Sumpin' Sumpin' Ale:

and this stuff was amazing. If you're a Hophead this is a must-try IMO. It's got that strong floral smell that's become a trademark of great IPAs, it pours a light-to-medium orange, and has the citrusy/piney West Coast hop taste that you crave so much. It's 7.5% ABV which is a little lower than most popular IPAs but it also helps give it a very smooth drinkability.

I give this one an A+ and rank it up there with Sierra Nevada, Green Flash and Dogfish Head in terms of great IPA production.

You go it, 98. It would have been cool if it was a UFC weekend. Just didn't shake out that way.

Sumpin is a great beer. It is so drinkable in part because it is really a wheat beer. Pale wheat, hoppy wheat, whatever you want to cal it. Not many beers like it. I've only had one other, Coronado Hoppy Wheat. Another great super drinkable hoopy beer. They don't bottle that one though. I hear Gumball head by Three Floyds is similar. Haven't had that one yet though.

Since I last checked in here I haev kind of gone off the deep end in my beer collecting and have started trading as well. I have over 250 beers in my tiny apartment right now.

I'm doing an IPA tasting tonight and contributing all these IPAs that aren't available in California:

Founders Double Trouble

Troegs Nugget Nectar

Bells Hopslam

Three Floyds Dreadnaught

Town Hall Masala Mama

Surly Furious

Surly Abrasive

Evolution Lot No. 3 IPA

Then the rest of the crew is bringing some locals. We're going to try to do a blind tasting, but we won't have anyone there that won't be doing the tasting, so I'm not sure how we can pull that off.

You go it, 98. It would have been cool if it was a UFC weekend. Just didn't shake out that way.

Sumpin is a great beer. It is so drinkable in part because it is really a wheat beer. Pale wheat, hoppy wheat, whatever you want to cal it. Not many beers like it. I've only had one other, Coronado Hoppy Wheat. Another great super drinkable hoopy beer. They don't bottle that one though. I hear Gumball head by Three Floyds is similar. Haven't had that one yet though.

Since I last checked in here I haev kind of gone off the deep end in my beer collecting and have started trading as well. I have over 250 beers in my tiny apartment right now.

I'm doing an IPA tasting tonight and contributing all these IPAs that aren't available in California:

Founders Double Trouble

Troegs Nugget Nectar

Bells Hopslam

Three Floyds Dreadnaught

Town Hall Masala Mama

Surly Furious

Surly Abrasive

Evolution Lot No. 3 IPA

Then the rest of the crew is bringing some locals. We're going to try to do a blind tasting, but we won't have anyone there that won't be doing the tasting, so I'm not sure how we can pull that off.

Sounds awesome man. Let us know if you stumble upon anything really good. I haven't tried any of the IPAs you listed. I may try and find some of the Gumball head or Coronado Hoppy Wheat (if they're even available on the East coast). I was really impressed with the Lagunitas Lil' Sumpin' Sumpin' and would definitely be down for trying anything similar.

As I type this, I'm drinking a Heavy Seas Below Decks. It's a Barley Wine style ale. It's one of 3 bottles that I have left from the 2007 bottling. Even though I'm a certified hop-head, I have to admit, the heavy malt character is perfect for cold winter night.

This stuff has evolved beautifully. The difference in the flavor profiles from when it was initially bottled in '07, and now, is un-friggin-believable.

It's malty and delicious. The ABV is 10% and it's so smooth, you can't even tell....

Why's that? Haven't had any, but the priced dropped $4 at my local beer store. Was wondering what is up with that.

Nuggett is pure hoppy yumminess, I can't say I enjoy any of Troegs brews besides this one, but the nectar is a definite winner.

They are selling 6'ers for 10.99 to 12.99 in my neck of the woods, it's well worth it.

Nuggett is pure hoppy yumminess, I can't say I enjoy any of Troegs brews besides this one, but the nectar is a definite winner.

They are selling 6'ers for 10.99 to 12.99 in my neck of the woods, it's well worth it.

Agreed. Though not keg-worthy, (only because it's not a "session beer"), the Nugget Nectar is definitely a hop-lovers brew

Agreed. Though not keg-worthy, (only because it's not a "session beer"), the Nugget Nectar is definitely a hop-lovers brew

I thought there was something wrong with this year's batch. What's up with the price cut? Nugget Nectar is one of my favorite beers so far, definitely got to grab a couple bottles soon. Love the huge caramel malt and huge body. As for other Troegs brews, their Troegenator Double Bock is my favorite beer of the style.

Drinking a DFH 90 Minute IPA out of my 1 pound pilsner glass. Love this brew. Caramel malt is so freakin' sweet, as are the "tangy" hops. Dogfish may be the fringe crafthead's go-to brewery, gaining popularity like a replacement for Vinnie Ceratto, but they do put out some mighty good stuff.

Unfortunately, I wanted the Raisen D'Etre, had an enormous craving for it this week, but it wasn't there. Seriously didn't look at first, went down the aisle, had my left eye closed so I couldn't view the beers, peaked to see if it was there - and is wasn't. Bummer. As a backup plan I had the Nugget Nectar in mind, but it wasn't there either. Had to settle for the 90, and man, it's not disappointing me.

Also grabbed bottles of Harviestoun Old Engine Oil and Franziskaner Hefe-Weissbier.

Going to have a good night. :)

Franziskaner Hefe-Weisse

franziskaner_hefe-weisse_.jpg

Appearance: Cloudiness of this beer is apparent while it's still in the bottle. Super-freakin'-duper cloudy. Very pale orange with a creamy white head, which settles in to a firm, white blanket.

Aroma: Very powerful banana and vanilla aromas. A lot of fresh dough, lemon and pepper as well. Greatly balanced aroma, love it.

Flavor/Body/Finish: Flavor hits with wheat bigtime, and stays ridiculously consistent throughout the tasting. Pretty much the same flavor all the way through. Banana and vanilla are in the backdrop, and stay at a consistent tone. Incredibly drinkable.

Body/Finish: Body is lighter than anticipated, carbonation is light and fluffy, she's a session brew.

Summary: The smoothness of this brew is great. Very balanced, and easy to find yourself boarderline-chugging. For what it goes for, it succeeds at. I recommend grabbing this stuff right as the weather breaks. When you slap on the first steaks of the year, dip 'em in some steak sauce and wash it down with this.

B (86)