Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Some Campbell Numbers (Not a bashing thread, just stats)

PortisBetts

Here are some numbers and why i feel the way i do about them.

Touchdowns. There are 18 quarterbacks who have more touchdowns then Campbell. One of them being Romo sits to pee, who has missed 3 games, another being Thigpen of KC who hasn't started every game. Thigpen with 10 (Only 5 int's) and Romo sits to pee with 14 compared to Campbell's 9. Thigpen has only started 5 games, played in 8 this season and is a rookie. Schaub. Playing on hands down one of the worst teams and offensive lines. More touchdowns with 10. Gus Frerrote. Enough said. Matt Cassell in his first year starting has 10. Derrick Anderson, who lost his starting job with 9 touchdowns has played one less game. Campbell has more touchdowns then a list of quarterbacks who i would not want to be listed with. This i feel exemplifies 2 things. Campbell's inability or unwilingness to take a chance, and Zorn not trusting Campbell enough to throw touchdowns. There are many quarterbacks who have thrown many less passes and thrown for more touchdowns then Campbell has. I will not get into touchdowns per attempt for that is way to much math for now. This shows that he throws a less then average amount of TD's at 18th.

Next. Attempts per game. Campbell averages 30.7 attempts per game. That is not even less then 2 compared to Romo sits to pee's 32.4 or Aaron Rodgers 31.8. Eli Manning throws LESS then Campbell per game, still has 6 more touchdowns. This shows that Campbell throws and average amount or passes per game as he ranks 15th.

Next, sacks. Campbell is sixth in sacks per game with 26. Now this point can be argued 3 ways. Campbell does not know how to avoid a rush. Yes he can avoid the one rusher but very rarely is he going to roll out and create a play out of nothing as he would rather not risk it and take a sack. Another is obviously poor line play. The third is a mixture of the 2. I believe Campbell falls in the realm of the first one. Campbell will not risk the ball EVER and would rather take a sack, causing numbers to be inflated, where as other quarterbacks will take a chance to make a play, create something out of nothing, causing there int's to be higher, but also adding to points scored for their own team in terms of touchdowns.

this is getting long so i am going to wrap it up.

Average per throw. Again Campbell ransk well below average at 20th in the league with 6.9 ypt. Add in the fact that he is 16th in first down percentage with 33.9%, 13th in 20+ plays (not all that bad actually) and 18th in 40+ yard plays (if you want to bring up the fact this is west coast based offense, Donovan Mcnabb is 4th with 8, Rodgers is 3rd with 9 and not positive who else runs west coast). All in all, this points to a very horizontally based qb who will not stretch the field.

I hope Campbell improves, but i do not blame this soley on the o-line as Campbell has a lot to improve upon. I am still skeptical as to whether he is the savior of this franchise, i just wanted to enlighten people on where he stands based on stats. BTW they are all from nfl.com, here is the link.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?season=2008&seasonType=REG&d-447263-o=2&tabSeq=0&statisticCategory=PASSING&d-447263-p=1&d-447263-s=PASSING_40PLUS_YARDS_EACH&d-447263-n=1

We need WRs that can get separation and are big targets and don't force JC to throw such a perfect ball. Rodgers has Nelson, Driver and Jennings. Romo sits to pee has Witten, TO and Roy. Cassel has speedster Welker and Moss

But see it aint really about big name players. it's all about how well your protect the QB. we got what dallas has in speed at the WR spot in, Moss, and ARE. along with what jason witten is to dallas in Cooley. bottom line your OL sucks, your Offense is gonna struggle. enough said

But see it aint really about big name players. it's all about how well your protect the QB. we got what dallas has in speed at the WR spot in, Moss, and ARE. along with what jason witten is to dallas in Cooley. bottom line your OL sucks, your Offense is gonna struggle. enough said

Cooley is a poor mans Witten, but he isn't up to the level of Witten. Dallas has more talent across the board on offense. That includes QB as well though.

This is insane. 2 weeks ago, JC was being talked about as an MVP candidate by not just 'Skins fans, but main stream media. How can a guy go from MVP candidate to complete goat in 2 games against pretty damn good teams when his O-Line completely disolves, and his best WR is injured for one of them? I mean, come on guys, let's get some perspective.

This is insane. 2 weeks ago, JC was being talked about as an MVP candidate by not just 'Skins fans, but main stream media. How can a guy go from MVP candidate to complete goat in 2 games against pretty damn good teams when his O-Line completely disolves, and his best WR is injured for one of them? I mean, come on guys, let's get some perspective.

Ah, some voice of reason.:applause:

Cooley is a poor mans Witten, but he isn't up to the level of Witten. Dallas has more talent across the board on offense. That includes QB as well though.

yeah witten is good, but i still think Cooley is 1 of the best TE's in the NFC, imo. they have better WR's then us but, they havent done much this year, across the board if you look at stats. We just need to spread out the Offense and get our TE more involved in the game. We are doing a real poor job with Thomas also IMO.

No...there IS more to be said. How do explain last season when Campbell was out for the season, and Todd Collins filled in and the offense improved with the SAME O-LINE? Perhaps Collins was getting rid of the ball sooner, and passing it to the proper WRs? Hey, if a QB has to rely on perfect pass protection all the time, this is not the QB I want on my team. Sometimes a QB has to step it up and figure out how to get it done, even when the protection isn't always perfect.

I wonder if the Skins would really miss Campbell if he wasn't under center for the rest of the season. I think the Skins may even improve with a Todd Collins or a Colt Brennan playing QB for the rest of the season.

What's up with all the collins love?? just don't get it

By that you mean main stream media in Washington.

No one outside of Washington, or maybe a person missing a chromosome really thought Campbell was an MVP candidate.

How bad is Samuels and Rabach, Ware and Ratliff made those two look like highschool players.

Yeah. Samuels is hurt, but it's no excuse. If he's going to play like that, they need to find somebody else who can play better. Rabach has no excuses.

On top of that, watching Romo sits to pee move around to avoid the rush, and get the ball off quickly certainly stung. It is obvious he is a far superior QB when it comes to avoiding the rush.

Go back and look at the film of the 60 yarder to Moss in the NO game, the play to Cooley in the NO game, the 50 yarder to Moss in the Detroit game. Romo sits to pee IS very elusive in the pocket, it's a gift that very few have, and he does. But JC does have some escapability, and is able to make some pretty good throws. In fact, I believe that he's had to avoid a rusher in every big play that he's had all year.

We've seen what Campbell can do when he is protected. When he's not he's no better than any QB that isn't protected.

That sacks number is telling of our o-line production.

People are getting it wrong. Part of it is protection but a significant part is that coverages are not being read properly. A good chunk of the time the defense knows what Campbell is about to do. Both Zorn & Campbell are at fault for this.

No...there IS more to be said. How do explain last season when Campbell was out for the season, and Todd Collins filled in and the offense improved with the SAME O-LINE? Perhaps Collins was getting rid of the ball sooner, and passing it to the proper WRs? Hey, if a QB has to rely on perfect pass protection all the time, this is not the QB I want on my team. Sometimes a QB has to step it up and figure out how to get it done, even when the protection isn't always perfect.

Todd Collins spent 20 years in that system.

This is entirely different. In fact, Collins was very slow to adapting to this system in the pre-season.

You put any QB with less than two mississippi's and you'll be sacked, hurried and knocked down repeatedly.

No one outside of Washington, or maybe a person missing a chromosone really thought Campbell was an MVP candidate.

Actually, Ron Jaworski was saying JC was an MVP candidate for a while. But what does he know.

I wonder if the Skins would really miss Campbell if he wasn't under center for the rest of the season. I think the Skins may even improve with a Todd Collins or a Colt Brennan playing QB for the rest of the season.

TC would be a punching bag at best. Colt could have the greatest football instincts known to man, but it wouldn't do him any good if he hasn't practiced with the offense all that much.

I say we move to shotgun and see what happens.

No one outside of Washington, or maybe a person missing a chromosone really thought Campbell was an MVP candidate.

Ok, so you'd put Ron Jawarski and Trent Dilfer into that category? Go look it up. Jaws said it on Mike and Mike, then reiterated it on PTI. Dilfer said it on some other ESPN show.

Jaws knows what he's talking about. I will give you that I wouldn't think that JC would be in the conversation today, but that was 2 games ago, after week 8. First half discussion. Go look it up.

Here's some more stats to chew on: 16 TOTAL POINTS in the past 2 games.....and they were HOME GAMES! The Skins D and Special Teams are decent. The issue is a lack of points on the SCOREBOARD, and to blame the O-Line (when you see how many yards they have sprung for Portis this season) is a BOLOGNE excuse. Ultimately, a good QB will find the knack for enough TDs to win the game.

Archived