Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Comparing media coverage, Hall vs. PacMan

NoCalMike

I think it is pretty laughable that we sign Hall and all the reports are so quick to say what an underachieving lockerroom cancer he is and how huge of a risk it is, yet when the Cowboys went after PacMan who had a pattern of criminal behavior and has shown little remourse, and on top of that has been average at best at the corner position, he was looked at as some type of savior that was going to rescure the Cowboys secondary.

Now truth be told, if the media has issues with DeAngelo Hall's coverage skills, then that is fair game, but you'd think Hall was some type of cancerous thug. The guy is only 24 and might not even be in his prime yet and has been on one average team and one HORRIBLE team.

When pacman was released from the Titans the media was so in favor of the move because they called him an average corner at best and not worth the risk also that pacman would be lucky to be picked up by another club, then all of the sudden because it was the Cowboys that sign him, he is suddenly the best corner in the league and ready to help the Cowboys get to the next level.

If Hall & PacMan are both similar in their skills I'd still favor the acquisition of Hall over PacMan because of how cheap his salary is and how the Skins gave up nothing in return. Also the guy isn't a repeat criminal that you have to be afraid will be suspended every other game for various activities outside of football.

I haven't really seen anything saying Pacman was the best corner or anything like that. I think you may be over exaggerating a bit.

you didn't all those ESPN/USA Today/etc.... preseason position rankings listing the Poke secondary the best in the NFL after they signed Pacman

Just like when Dallas got Jones, I don't seem to recall as much critique with Hall when the Raiders traded for him.

I'd make the case that it's probably due to PacMan's mediocre play in Dallas and off field issues rearing their ugly heads again that has led to a more critical examination of Hall's signing. Especially considering that he wasn't very good in Oakland and the Raiders were eager enough to get rid of him that they were willing to take the cap hit.

If Hall wants to shut people up, all he has to do is be a good teammate and perform on the field. It's really that simple.

The Cowboys have a much larger fanbase than we do. Everything they do is going to garner more attention than what the Redskins do.

It also helped that the Pacman deal was during the offseason when any NFL news is big news, unlike now. The fact that Pacman is a criminal coming off of a years suspension made that story even more juicy.

The media responds to what the people want. The Deangelo Hall story just isn't as interesting as Pacman.

I think it is pretty laughable that we sign Hall and all the reports are so quick to say what an underachieving lockerroom cancer he is and how huge of a risk it is, yet when the Cowboys went after PacMan who had a pattern of criminal behavior and has shown little remourse, and on top of that has been average at best at the corner position, he was looked at as some type of savior that was going to rescure the Cowboys secondary.

Now truth be told, if the media has issues with DeAngelo Hall's coverage skills, then that is fair game, but you'd think Hall was some type of cancerous thug. The guy is only 24 and might not even be in his prime yet and has been on one average team and one HORRIBLE team.

When pacman was released from the Titans the media was so in favor of the move because they called him an average corner at best and not worth the risk also that pacman would be lucky to be picked up by another club, then all of the sudden because it was the Cowboys that sign him, he is suddenly the best corner in the league and ready to help the Cowboys get to the next level.

If Hall & PacMan are both similar in their skills I'd still favor the acquisition of Hall over PacMan because of how cheap his salary is and how the Skins gave up nothing in return. Also the guy isn't a repeat criminal that you have to be afraid will be suspended every other game for various activities outside of football.

It is likely that there was just as much if not much more negativity surrounding the pacman signing than there is now surrounding Hall. It's just that you are only recognizing the negative posts that support your view and are having difficulty remembering the negative articles on the pacman trade. It's called a confirmation bias. It's ok, everybody does it ;) I bet if you did an exaustive search around the time of the pac man signing and now you would find equal if not more negative articles on the pacman signing.

you didn't all those ESPN/USA Today/etc.... preseason position rankings listing the Poke secondary the best in the NFL after they signed Pacman

Yeah, but everything was number 1 (except special teams). That was straight media bias. That's ok though. I'm sure if you pressed media members at the moment, very few would argue that we don't have the deepest, if not one of the top 2 or 3 defensive backfields.

Archived