Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What Record Does Team Deserve?

bulldog

The one it has :)

Before there was the 1991 team that opened its home schedule with three straight shutouts, the Redskins best teams often won games the hard way, often depending upon Mark Moseley field goals or a fourth quarter rally to provide the necessary points.

For those here that feel winning games by 6 or 7 points is heresy and that anything less than 20 point differentials show an average team, consider the 1982 Super Bowl team.

37-34, 12-7, 13-9, 15-14........these were the scores of 4 of the team's 8 season wins during the strike shortened season. The wins sandwiched a horrible 24-10 drubbing at the hands of the Cowboys at mid-season.

It wasn't until late in the season that with 27-10 and 28-0 wins over the Saints and Cardinals did the Redskins appear to be a team separating itself in any measure OTHER than wins and losses.

Which brings us to 2008.

A 6-3 record before the bye to me is a gift given how the schedule looked in August.

No one figured that Campbell would play well enough the first few weeks adjusting to Zorn and vice versa to earn wins in Dallas or Philadelphia.

A 3-5 or 4-4 record seemed likely at the mid-point with a chance to make a run in the back end as the club did in 2005 and 2007.

But no the team is 6-3.

Which looking at the schedule means in absolute terms that the Redskins having games against Dallas and the Eagles in hand, that the team COULD win games against Seattle, Baltimore, Cincinnati and San Francisco, finish 10-6 and make the playoffs.

And that's assuming the Redskins lose the 3 NFC East games.

Dallas certainly appears to be a team that faces some challenges of its own. So, that game is winnable even though with both clubs getting clobbered before the bye week they should be motivated to put the best foot forward.

And we don't know in four-six weeks how healthy the Giants or Eagles will be.

Philadelphia especially seems to be vulnerable given its extreme reliance on two players in McNabb and Westbrook to deliver all of their points without much help from anyone else.

So, looking back to the 1982 team and to the 1987 team as well, one could say by mid-season that the winning record as in 2008 consisted chiefly of close games and a failure to separate from other teams.

But that is often a sign of a team learning to win. You learn to win first.

You win big second.

Yup... totally agree.

Should be real interesting to see how the Giants vs. Eagles game turns out.

Hopefully, NFC teams like the Cards, Panthers, Bucs, and Bears also lose their games. We want as many teams to drop into mediocrity as possible in the NFC from here on out.

Can't be down at 6-3. I just don't see the so-called "slide" so many believe this team is in. I see some worn out players, with some big stars out to boot. But I don't see a team on the decline right now. Far from it.

Yeah unfortunately this may be one of those year when a 10-6 team gets left out of the playoffs in the NFC, much like the Browns did in the AFC last year and the Cowboys still would have in 2005 even if they had won their last game against the Rams.

Hell, we might have four teams with 10-6 or better records within our own division this year.

You know what else I just thought of to further prove the Bucs are a ginormous thorn on our side?

They lost to Dallas two weeks ago. Dallas could've been 4-5 right now. Ridiculous. They lost 13-9. Friggin Bucs. :doh:

A 6-3 record before the bye to me is a gift given how the schedule looked in August.

No one figured that Campbell would play well enough the first few weeks adjusting to Zorn and vice versa to earn wins in Dallas or Philadelphia.

A 3-5 or 4-4 record seemed likely at the mid-point with a chance to make a run in the back end as the club did in 2005 and 2007.

But no the team is 6-3.

Which looking at the schedule means in absolute terms that the Redskins having games against Dallas and the Eagles in hand, that the team COULD win games against Seattle, Baltimore, Cincinnati and San Francisco, finish 10-6 and make the playoffs.

So True! I think though, this team has gotten the fan's hopes up that this could be the year! And then when we lose to teams that we shouldn't, win most of our games in the last seconds, and then lose big on Monday night football, it just deflates us a bit and gets us asking..."What kind of team do we really have?" I guess we will find out in the next 8 weeks. :fingersx:

Now that all teams have had their byes, team health is the key. Keep in mind the Ravens had the 2nd week off, & will play the Skins in Week 14. That's a long time with no rest, it will have an effect. If the Skins take care of biz with SF, Sea, & Cinn, that's four wins right there. I feel they can win 2 of any 3 NFCE home games for a 12-4 rose colored glasses scenario. The doom & gloom would still be 9-7 and a VERY long shot, but still a possibility, for the playoffs.

Good post Bulldog.

I get tired of hearing about how we "need" to blow teams out. A win is a win and that's all I care about seeing at the end of the day as long as it's done consistently.

Like Portis said, if the final score is 3-2, as long as we're the team with 3, we're happy.

I'm happy with 6-3. The Giants game drove me crazy more then anything else....

Next 2 weeks are huge

But beat Dallas and they Cowboys will be 5-5, basicly 3 games behind us (tiebreaker) with 6 remaining.

I'm just worried about the Giants. need them to lose a somewhere!

Archived