Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP-Redskins Insider: Sean Taylor To Enter The Ring of Honor

sableholic

i don't think that is what is happening at all. Many fans also believe that sean taylor belongs in the ring because of what he meant to this team and all the fans. Sean taylor was the favorite player to an entire generation of fans and for many of us younger fans, he will always be our favorite player of all time. Look at the impact he had on the guys he played with. Look at santana moss and clinton portis. Listen to what his coaches have said about him. Read the articles about what he meant to landry in the very short time they played together and knew eachother. From the first time he stepped on that field in that beautiful burgundy and gold sean taylor was the redskins! Sean taylor stood for the type of passion and intensity that every fans dreams his players will have. Sean tayor played the type of smash mouth, take no prisoners football that we all are proud to call redskins football. Maybe he didn't play for that long. Maybe he didn't have a hof career. But whenever sean taylor took the field he played his heart out for our team! When i watched him play it made me feel like a kid again. When i watched the way he threw himself around the field with a love of the game that was absolutely unmatched i couldn't help but cheer at the top of my lungs. When i talked to people about the plays he made i couldn't help but smile from eaer to ear with pride that sean taylor was a redskin. I couldn't believe my eyes when he would come flying onto my tv screen to make a bone crushing hit or acrobatic interception. I couldn't believe how every time the ball was on the ground here would come my favorite player to scoop it up. Sean taylor was the most amazing player i have ever seen step onto a football field and i cried my eyes out when he died because i knew i would never get that feeling back. I knew that i would never be able to watch another athlete with that same child's enthusiam and wonder. Sean taylor will always be redskins football to me. And i know many fans feel the same way. That's why he deserves to be inducted into the ring. And if you can't understand that then i feel sorry for you brother.

qft

I don't think that is what is happening at all. Many fans also believe that Sean Taylor belongs in the Ring because of what he meant to this team and all the fans. Sean Taylor was the favorite player to an entire generation of fans and for many of us younger fans, he will ALWAYS be our favorite player of all time. Look at the impact he had on the guys he played with. Look at Santana Moss and Clinton Portis. Listen to what his coaches have said about him. Read the articles about what he meant to Landry in the very short time they played together and knew eachother. From the first time he stepped on that field in that beautiful burgundy and gold Sean Taylor WAS the Redskins! Sean Taylor stood for the type of passion and intensity that every fans dreams his players will have. Sean Tayor played the type of smash mouth, take no prisoners football that we all are proud to call Redskins football. Maybe he didn't play for that long. Maybe he didn't have a HoF career. But whenever Sean Taylor took the field he played his heart out for our team! When I watched him play it made me feel like a kid again. When I watched the way he threw himself around the field with a love of the game that was absolutely unmatched I couldn't help but cheer at the top of my lungs. When I talked to people about the plays he made I couldn't help but smile from eaer to ear with pride that Sean Taylor was a Redskin. I couldn't believe my eyes when he would come flying onto my TV screen to make a bone crushing hit or acrobatic interception. I couldn't believe how EVERY TIME the ball was on the ground here would come my favorite player to scoop it up. Sean Taylor was the most amazing player I have ever seen step onto a football field and I cried my eyes out when he died because I knew I would never get that feeling back. I knew that I would never be able to watch another athlete with that same child's enthusiam and wonder. Sean Taylor will ALWAYS be Redskins football to me. And I know many fans feel the same way. That's why he deserves to be inducted into the ring. And if you can't understand that then I feel sorry for you brother.

:notworthy:notworthy:notworthy

First off I knew as soon as I posted my comments I would be bashed.

And that's ok.I'm 42 nothing said here follows me away from the screen.

I bleed Burgundy & Gold but I am not blind to as when my team stinks or when things are done wrong.

In my opinion..............

The Ring of Fame is there for players who have shown through many years that they have exceeded/excelled in the world of pro football as a Redskin.

Notice I said many years,not 4 years

ST only played 4 years he made 2 pro bowls,His 1st was as an alternate not a starter.His 2nd was because he died.

He was not an outstanding citizen,sure he may have tried to be one for a year. ONE YEAR.

Wasn't such a great year either when you consider the friends he had at a birthday party invited other friends who ended up killing him.

Is that what people consider a good?

He had one great season and even then was out what 2/3 games with an injury?

Is it true that only one jersey has been retired from the Redskins and that's #33 Sammy Baugh? (I don't know)

If so do you really think that after what you just read the #21 should have that great an honor placed upon him?

To be with Sammy Baugh?

No he doesnt,and he doesnt deserve to be in the ring of honor for only 4 years and 1/2 of a good season.

Did he touch peoples lives?

I'm sure he did.

Did he play hard?

Sure he did.

But not enough to earn this.

Not when we have so many other guys who have done a TON more both on the filed and in the community for many many years.

Am I a fan?

YES

Am I blind by being a fan?

NO

As far as in concerned

this is just what I originally posted.

Either a marketing ploy by DS.

Or the means to get our fans in the stadium.

ST only played 4 years he made 2 pro bowls,His 1st was as an alternate not a starter.His 2nd was because he died.

Stupidest ****ing thing I've ever heard. I'm sure it didn't have anything to do with his league leading 5 INTs at the time did it? You're pathetic. Do yourself, and all of us, a favor, and just stop posting here.

First off I knew as soon as I posted my comments I would be bashed.

And that's ok.I'm 42 nothing said here follows me away from the screen.

I bleed Burgundy & Gold but I am not blind to as when my team stinks or when things are done wrong.

In my opinion..............

The Ring of Fame is there for players who have shown through many years that they have exceeded/excelled in the world of pro football as a Redskin.

Notice I said many years,not 4 years

He was not an outstanding citizen,sure he may have tried to be one for a year. ONE YEAR.

Wasn't such a great year either when you consider the friends he had at a birthday party invited other friends who ended up killing him.

Is that what people consider a good?

He had one great season and even then was out what 2/3 games with an injury?

Is it true that only one jersey has been retired from the Redskins and that's #33 Sammy Baugh? (I don't know)

If so do you really think that after what you just read the #21 should have that great an honor placed upon him?

To be with Sammy Baugh?

No he doesnt,and he doesnt deserve to be in the ring of honor for only 4 years and 1/2 of a good season.

Did he touch peoples lives?I'm sure he did.

Did he play hard?Sure he did.

But not enough to earn this.

Not when we have so many other guys who have done a TON more bothon the filed and in the community for many many years.

Am I a fan?

YES

Am I blind by being a fan?

NO

As far as in concerned

this is just what I originally posted.

Either a marketing ploy by DS.

Or the means to get our fans in the stadium.

I guess we will just have to agree to disagree on this. I'm not saying you are not a fan and I don't really think it is fair of you to say that people who believe that Sean Taylor belongs in the Ring of Fame are blinded by their being a fan of his.

I'm not saying Sean Taylor belongs in the pro football hall of fame. But let's look at the type of players that HAVE made different hall of fames. Lawrence Taylor...was he a model citizen? Not by any means. Infact I'd say he has a much worse track record than Sean Taylor...and I don't know that he EVER tried to turn his life around. Ray Lewis will be in the hall of fame and he has been accused of murdering someone for God's sake! And you know...I may be wrong...but wasn't John Riggins supposed to be a bit of a wild child in his day? I'm not saying he had trouble with the law or anything because I never heard that he did...but from what I heard he wasn't exactly leading a team bible study the night before a game. Jimmy Foxx, Mickey Mantle and Babe Ruth were all terribly wild and all did crazy and inappropriate things and yet they are in the baseball hall of fame with the likes of Lou Gherig and Jackie Robinson. So I don't think you can really honor people in sports just because they don't live up to your personal moral code. But I think it is pretty terrible to say that Sean Taylor ONLY turn his personal life around for one year when he was MURDERED in the middle of that year. Is your heart made of stone? Can you not appreciate the fact that a man turned his life around after he had a daughter when so many people have not? Sean Taylor opened his life up to those less fortunate than him and was killed for it. He didn't shut out people because they were from a shady part of town. He tried to use his celebrity and knowledge of what it is like tohave a troubled past to help the likes of those that he invited to his home that ended up killing him. That makes him a bad guy? Really? Can you really say he was such a bad guy when he touched so many people including JOE GIBBS...a man we would all be lucky to model our personal and professional lives after? I really don't see how you can.

Anyways, you pointed out in your post that you believe the Ring is there for players that have excelled over many years in the "world of pro football." So I don't see why it is then important to drag the departed's name through the mud when you're saying that the Ring (which is what we are talking about here) is about your pro football career. So let's leave the personal stuff aside. Like I said in my previous post...Sean Taylor didn't play for the Redskins for a long time. That obviously can't be disputed. He didn't win us a Super Bowl. He won't be inducted into the Hall of Fame. He can't be considered the best to play the game and he doesn't hold major records. But his time here will live in the hearts of a generation of Redskins fans FOREVER. How many players that aren't in the Ring can say that? This wasn't just some guy who played here for a short time and then left. This wasn't a player that is only in our hearts because he died. He is in our hearts because of what he meant to us when he watched us play. He is in our hearts because of what he means to us EVERY TIME we watch a game and don't see him out there. That's why he deserves the honor. Because he will be in the hearts of a generation of Redskins fans until we no longer have the breath in our lungs to cheer for our beloved Redskins. Because that generation wants his legacy to live on FOREVER.

Maybe Danny doesn't think this. Maybe he just wants to make money. I don't believe this. But then again I don't presume to know what goes on in the mind of a man I have never met. But I do know that Dan Snyder is a fan of this team. I know he loves this team and that is why he bought it. We have all seen the agony of defeat on his face as well as the joy of victory. And so I do feel that he does have some emotional investment in the players. And even if he doesn't...the Ring is for the players and the fans, not the owner. And the players that played with Sean Taylor, and I'd bet my life some that didn't, along with a great deal of fans believe Sean Taylor belongs in the Ring of Fame for as long as the Redskins remain a professional football franchise.

Archived