Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

We will Never Find a Franchise Quarterback

Chiefinonhaze

Wouldn't you say theres a distinct difference between a few drunk yahoos in highschool and an entire stadium filled to the brim with boos? I don't think its humanly possible to ignore that environment, but rather just be able to deal with it.

Yes, that would be a difference. But since that's not even remotely what's happened here, it isn't really pertinent to the conversation.

If Campbell ever plays poorly enough, for long enough, to earn "an entire stadium filled to the brim with boos" around here, his confidence will have been shot long before that due to what's happening ON the field, not around it.

Keep drinking the kool-aid kid!

Times have changed ... and, contrary to what some diehard Jason Campbell supporters think, the Skins ....

1. Gave up too much too draft him. He was a decent college QB, but NOT great!

2. Unlike most rookie QBs, he wasn't thrown into the fire from day one. No the Skins nutured him, and he started his first game in mid-way through his second year.

3. Too help groom Jason into a franchise QB, they specifically had a QB coach to help him along.

4. The fans have been more than patient with Jason.

Unfortunately, Jason isn't as great as we all would like him to be. He still has problems reading defenses - especially, elite ones like the Steelers, and Philly. He isn't quick in his reads. He continues to make poor throws. He doesn't leverage his athletic abilities when in trouble.

In yesterdays game, he appeared to be sleep walking. Even BIG BEN had a quicked cadance to the game than JC. Despite being down 3 scores, he still showed no intensity and sense of urgency.

Face it! He is NOT and NEVER will be better than a decent QB. Nothing outstanding ... Even, Donovan in his twilight years is better than him.

Then why didn't Donovan outplay him when they went head to head? And why did Donavans team lose? Ok, maybe Jason isn't Tom Brady, but exactly how many quarterbacks in HISTORY are Tom Brady? What the hell are you expecting man? He was not a top ten pick, he was a late first rounder, and he has played very efficient football this year. He will only get better in this offense. Its his FiRST year in this offense, even Hasselbeck didn't do as well his first year under Zorn.

Yes, that would be a difference. But since that's not even remotely what's happened here, it isn't really pertinent to the conversation.

If Campbell ever plays poorly enough, for long enough, to earn "an entire stadium filled to the brim with boos" around here, his confidence will have been shot long before that due to what's happening ON the field, not around it.

I disagee... put yourself in the players shoes. No matter how "cool" players may seem, they all feel the pressure. Not only by fans, but media, coaches, and even other players. Hell, I used to think Vince Young was the best clutch player I have ever seen. He seemed to not care what anyone thought, he made BIG plays in every BIG situation. This led him to the point of suicide.

Now, consider the pressure put on players, and multiply is by 5 for the quarterback position. I understand boo's at an away game, but if your home fan's are booing you, it will have an effect on any quarterback. You are right that an NFL quarterback should be able to deal with it, but they are just human man. We should more than support Campbell when we have a 6-3 record.

Your right a quarterback should be able to handle boo's, but we have NO reason to boo....what the hell are we booing for? We haven't had a QB as good as Campbell as long as I have been alive....we should be happy as hell with him at this point, because he is STILL in his first year within this offense. He will get better in this offense mark my words.

That I wish I knew a real answer for.. I guess the fans feel hey we're putting out all this money for tickets they feel they should boo if things not going right you know what I mean ?

I disagee... put yourself in the players shoes. No matter how "cool" players may seem, they all feel the pressure. Not only by fans, but media, coaches, and even other players. Hell, I used to think Vince Young was the best clutch player I have ever seen. He seemed to not care what anyone thought, he made BIG plays in every BIG situation. This led him to the point of suicide.

Now, consider the pressure put on players, and multiply is by 5 for the quarterback position. I understand boo's at an away game, but if your home fan's are booing you, it will have an effect on any quarterback. You are right that an NFL quarterback should be able to deal with it, but they are just human man. We should more than support Campbell when we have a 6-3 record.

I don't disagree with the idea players hear boos. What I was disagree with is

1) your premise that hearing those boos is somehow going to keep the Redskins from keeping a franchise QB, and

2) that a QB worth his salt (and designation Franchise QB) will let boos affect him to anywhere near the degree I believe you do. Getting boo'd is part of sports--you don't get to the highest levels if your constitution isn't hearty enough to put them aside and perform anyway.

That I wish I knew a real answer for.. I guess the fans feel hey we're putting out all this money for tickets they feel they should boo if things not going right you know what I mean ?

Yeah that makes sense, I mean when i'm drunk I can do some dumb things, and most of our fans are drunk at these games, but who gets drunk and then post's on extremeskins lol? Posting on a forum isn't my top priority when i'm drunk, but maybe it is for some people.

Things can't always go right, its so hard to go 16-0.

I don't disagree with the idea players hear boos. What I was disagree with is

1) your premise that hearing those boos is somehow going to keep the Redskins from keeping a franchise QB, and

2) that a QB worth his salt (and designation Franchise QB) will let boos affect him to anywhere near the degree I believe you do. Getting boo'd is part of sports--you don't get to the highest levels if your constitution isn't hearty enough to put them aside and perform anyway.

Good point, but it certainly is a factor. A quarterback who has done what Campbell has this year, should have the full support of his fan base. Eli was playing like ****, so the boo's he was hearing were justified. He may have needed that as a spark. Some guys just react differently when faced with adversity.

Ohh the irony, Jason Cambell Jr was beaten by Jason campbell Sr(played by Byron Leftwich)

they are the same exact QB...same mobilty, same big arm with a long windup, same football IQ...a backup QB at best on any other team...the grafic showed us last night that campbell is accurate under 10 yards and the rest of the field less than 30%...NOT an NFL QB

Jacksonville got smart and let his sorry butt go, and nobody in the NFL wanted him as a starter...we should do the same....give me the Anderson guy from Cleveland in a trade after the season, that guy can sling it everywhere and he just lost his job the Brady Quinn...go get em Danny

Good point, but it certainly is a factor. A quarterback who has done what Campbell has this year, should have the full support of his fan base. Eli was playing like ****, so the boo's he was hearing were justified. He may have needed that as a spark. Some guys just react differently when faced with adversity.

Eli is not scared to throw it down field, thats why jason hasn't been picked off. he never takes chances, sometimes QB's do!

Impatient? This is his 3rd season. If he starts to collapse under some boo's after 3 years at the helm, then he is no good anyway. Move on to someone else. This is professional football. If you cant take the heat in your 4th season (3rd starting) then go do something else for a living.

It wont happen. He is a franchise QB that is still learning and he had a bad game last night. It doesnt help that the O-Line is not really good right now. When a team shuts down Portis, then Campbell is a diff. QB.

Yeah that makes sense, I mean when i'm drunk I can do some dumb things, and most of our fans are drunk at these games, but who gets drunk and then post's on extremeskins lol? Posting on a forum isn't my top priority when i'm drunk, but maybe it is for some people.

Things can't always go right, its so hard to go 16-0.

lol I agree but if you really read what some of the fans posted you would thought we were the Bengals or Lions, Raiders :doh: . Yes, it was an ugly loss but we're going to be alright.

I wish our fans would learn from the Giants fans, who got a ring last year because of their patience.

No... the Giants fans NEVER booed Eli.:rolleyes:

Are you kidding me? Until last year's playoff run, there were PLENTY of Giants fans who wanted Eli's head on a stick.

Look, there are NO FREE RIDES IN LIFE. If a comic can't handle the thought of being booed on stage, then he's in the WRONG line of work. The same goes for any star athlete. Blaming the fanbase for there not being a franchise QB is ABSURD my friend.

Ohh the irony, Jason Cambell Jr was beaten by Jason campbell Sr(played by Byron Leftwich)

they are the same exact QB...same mobilty, same big arm with a long windup, same football IQ...a backup QB at best on any other team...the grafic showed us last night that campbell is accurate under 10 yards and the rest of the field less than 30%...NOT an NFL QB

Jacksonville got smart and let his sorry butt go, and nobody in the NFL wanted him as a starter...we should do the same....give me the Anderson guy from Cleveland in a trade after the season, that guy can sling it everywhere and he just lost his job the Brady Quinn...go get em Danny

Where's that "Asinine Posts ver. 3" thread?

I cannot imagine that any pro athlete has never been boo'd

IF your skin is so thin that boo's cause you to underperform, then maybe professional sports is not where a person should be.

In the NFL you get it going, or you get going

While JC has done an adequate job at QB he has not been stellar. I dont see him as a game winner, more of a manager .... dont make a mistake, try to move the ball in FG range at least, etc...

I am not (and have never been) sold on him as our "the one"

I dont know if CB is "the one" , however I doubt JC is ...

I hope we have some competition next year for the position as that is the most important spot on the team (in my mind)

Anderson's not accurate under 10 yards or over 10 yards. He's not accurate on Sunday or Monday, home or away, dome, snow, rain, against midgets, or against living breathing NFL defenses.

This is not a Campbell hate thread. in fact, I have full confidence in Campbell as our QB. This game did not change my mind at all. I believe we have some of the worst fans in the league, and this is why we will never find a franchise QB. If Campbell has a few more mediocre games, the Boo's will start. Campbells confidence will begin to decline. Our fans are the most impatient fans when it comes to the QB position. I wish our fans would learn from the Giants fans, who got a ring last year because of their patience. Let me pull up a few of Eli's game logs from last year.

at Was: 63.7 rating

home vs Philly: 65.4 rating

at Mia: 44.9 rating

home vs Minn. 33.8 rating

at Chi: 63.8 rating

home vs Was: 52.1 rating

at Buffalo: 32.2 rating

Campbell's rating last night: 49.2

Now I understand statistics are not everything, but the giants were only 9-7 last year. There is no reason to get down on a quarterback who has played great all year, and has ONE bad game. We are on pace to be better than the Giants last year, and make the playoffs. Once we're in, its anybody's ring. But be aware, because if Campbell has a few more bad games, our pathetic fans will Boo Campbell untill he becomes the next Ramsey:2cents: To all the Campbell haters out there, I guess Eli is just an average QB as well:rolleyes:

These same fans were ready to crucify Brunell that one year, and he ended up taking us to the playoffs and winning a playoff game for us. Please fans, be happy with what we have, just PLEASE be happy our quarterback is not Shane Matthews, Heath Shuler, or many of the failures we have had the past 15 years.

He is also in his first year in this offense, we can only expect him to improve.

Nice try but first off the Giants were 10-6 last year.

Secondly how can you say we are some of the worst fans when New York is KNOWN for booing its players, coaches, ect.?

I appreciate the way that you presented your argument but it just wasn't strong enough to carry your point.

Eli is not scared to throw it down field, thats why jason hasn't been picked off. he never takes chances, sometimes QB's do!

lol you clearly are talking out of your ***. Before last nights game, he was 4th in the league in passes over 25 yards. Know what your talking about before you post.

Nice try but first off the Giants were 10-6 last year.

Secondly how can you say we are some of the worst fans when New York is KNOWN for booing its players, coaches, ect.?

I appreciate the way that you presented your argument but it just wasn't strong enough to carry your point.

I guess I mean't to say we should learn to be patient like the Giants Coach, because if the fans were the coach Brennan would have started week 1 :D

My argument is much stronger than any Campbell haters argument. Some people are right, Campbell may never be elite. But how many quarterbacks in the league are "elite". I hope most can agree that he is at least a good quarterback. He has earned the right to be called a good quarterback. We should be grateful to have a good quarterback, because I can name about 10 teams in the league who wished they had a "good" quarterback.

You don't go eight games without an interception without being a good quarterback. Yes, he doesn't have a lot of touchdowns, but that is because it is truly hard to throw TD passes when your Wr's are 5'9. They get lost down in the red zone, and we need a bigger target(which is why we drafted Davis, Kelly, and Thomas.)

i was fearing that i was going to have to defend campbell aaaagain after reading the title to this thread.

but the OP hit the nail on the head, and its not a good thing.

give campbell a break, there is plenty of blame to go around after the loss last night but that doesnt exclude campbell

Archived