Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Tech help (laptop to TV connection)

Warpath11

Does anyone know what kind of cable(s) I need to be able to connect my laptop to my TV? I know both my laptop and my TV have HDMI inputs so I guess I should use an HDMI cable of some sort (does anyone have any suggestions?)

Second question my TV is hooked up to a surround sound system, is there anything I need to do to make sure whatever I play on my laptop plays through the surround sound system and not the tiny laptop or TV speakers? Thanks in advance.

Any regular HDMI cable should do the trick if the computer HDMI is a normal output. Just make sure you get the resolution the laptop is outputting into the range the TV can display. Or you will get nothing, or a cut off or to small desktop on the TV.

Any regular HDMI cable should do the trick if the computer HDMI is a normal output. Just make sure you get the resolution the laptop is outputting into the range the TV can display. Or you will get nothing, or a cut off or to small desktop on the TV.

So what exactly do you mean by this? and thanks for the help everybody. So I would need a second cable to do the audio...hmm that sucks but I know for sure my laptop does have an HDMI out so that should be easy. Thanks

edit: So if I already have audio cables (i use them to play my iPod through the surround sound system) can I just plug my laptop into them through the headphone jack on the laptop? The only issue there maybe is the fact that the audio cables are connected to the surround sound system directly and not the TV, so I guess the question is if I leave them connected to the surround sound system will there be some sort of issue?

So what exactly do you mean by this? and thanks for the help everybody. So I would need a second cable to do the audio...hmm that sucks but I know for sure my laptop does have an HDMI out so that should be easy. Thanks

That means you need to go in to your display properties and lower your resolution to either 1280x720 or 1920×1080

edit: So if I already have audio cables (i use them to play my iPod through the surround sound system) can I just plug my laptop into them through the headphone jack on the laptop? The only issue there maybe is the fact that the audio cables are connected to the surround sound system directly and not the TV, so I guess the question is if I leave them connected to the surround sound system will there be some sort of issue?

No, all your sound should run thru the surround sound regardless. Leave it plugged in to the surround sound.

Archived