Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

no pressure when blitzing

vtskinfan

why is it that for as long as i can remember we can never seem to get any pressure on the opposing qb when we blitz? we had several plays against the lions were we sent 7 or 8 and they picked it up easily. its been the same way for years and i dont understand it. i dont really think its a personnel issue because if you're sending that many on a blitz it shouldnt really matter who is coming, you'd think somebody ought to be able to get through. luckily our secondary has been playing lights out this year and has been able to prevent the big play on these failed blitzes.

we don't blitz our best blitzers

other than our front 4, i think our best blitzers are Horton, Landry and Rocky

Horton was out, Landry stayed deep, and Rocky was sent a few times

i think we will improve as Taylor and Griffin get healthy

This is an easy one. Go back and look at the game. Every time we were bringing the safety blitz or any kind of blitz we gave it away before the snap. Lions QB would change the count and the guys coming on the blitz would be noticed immediately. Then he would simply change the protection or call a different play. I think they scored a TD on one of those scenarios.

Don't fret. When we have Springs, a healthy Washington (he's not anywhere near 100% no matter what anyone says), a healthy JT, and Horton back we will be able to create a better pass rush. Actually, a 6-2 record with little to no pass rush is impressive.

:logo:

Amazing how the Giants presented matchups that allowed Kiwanuka to come unimpeded to the QB twice that I can remember, and the Skins don't seem to show anything different that could confuse the O-line. Our Defensive scheme seems to work in the long run since we are 6-2, but it sure could make life easier on the secondary if we could dial up some much needed pressure.

the Redskins best blitzer is Shawn Springs off the corner. He sells it well and comes in at a good angle UNDER CONTROL.

Chris Horton will be an excellent blitzer once he learns not to sell out and come in out of control to make the hit. Horton was in position to sack both Marc Bulger and Derek Anderson but missed high and allowed his speed to be used against him as these qbs were able to get away and roll out to complete passes.

The Skins don't have much of a pass rush. They haven't Since Gregg Williams came to town. His Defensive schemes have always been very stingy and tough to score against but have never been good at sacks/pressure or takeaways. He was like this in Buffalo, he was like this in DC, and now Jacksonville is suffering the same issues. Blache has continued this same type of scheme in general so it should be no surprise that sacks and turnovers are not a big part of the Redskins D. Many of us have been talking about this for years here. I did a study last year, the result of which showed that the teams that rank high in sacks consistently make it deep into the playoffs, the teams that don't produce sacks consistently get high draft picks. It wasn't a subtle stat, it was blatant with the only exception being the year that Indy won the SB. The next closest thing to an exception was Washington 05 who ranked 20th in sacks and made it to round 2 of the playoffs.

According to NFL.com

Washington ranks 26 in sacks this year, (16th in 07)(32nd in 06)(20th in 05)

Jacksonville ranks 29 in sacks this year (9th in 07)(15th in 06)(3rd in 05)

I noticed this also, two years ago I commented in a thread that we show our blitz, the opponents make their adjustments and we don't adjust. When we see this before the snap why cant our blitzers just drop into zones or make another quick adjustment. I absolutely hate to see one of our blitzers just get picked up while I know the coverage has to be perfect. Its frustrating, I think making some changes here would take our defense from very good to great.

our defense is great without a pass rush. we shouldnt have to blitz when we have carter and taylor on the edge. they just cant ever seem to dip their shoulders around the tackle and make it to the qb.

i cant seem to figure out why carter cant get any pressure when he had 10.5 sacks last year. waht gives?

Archived