Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Changing my Puppy's Food...Need Suggestions

#98QBKiller

I've got a 4-month-old golden retriever puppy named Bella. She's very healthy according to the vet but lately we've noticed that her stomach has been kind of messed up...not messed up but just her you know what is not as solid as it should be.

We're going to switch her puppy food. Right now she's on Pedigree Puppy. Anyone have any suggestions as to what we should switch her to?

Is Iams or Science Diet good puppy food?

I've posted a pic of her before but here she is again:

DSCF0371.jpg

You know I was :jk: man :cheers:

Yeah I know.

That dog is awesome, I can't remember for the life of me what we give our dog I was just having this conversation with someone else.

There's a few sites that compare the major brands though.

http://www.thepetfoodlist.com/petfoods_pg1.htm

And you can check recalls

http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/petfoodrecall/

It might be just something she is going through like a stomach bug or whatever. Usually your vet will recommend a rice and chicken diet until the "runs" or "puking" has passed.

If you still want to change her food then do it slowly. Meaning, for the first couple of days or first week mix the food 25% new brand with 75% old brand. Then the up it to 50/50, then you can go to 75/25 and eventually you can change it over completely to the new brand. This avoids some MAJOR mess' in the house due to rapid change in her diet.

I feed my Black Lab Nutro and he does really well with that. Always has a shiny coat and his "you know what" is always normal, not to mention he rarely gets sick (i.e. puking). Nutro costs roughly $30 - $35 per 30 LB bag and that usually lasts him a month.

I feed my Black Lab Nutro and he does really well with that. Always has a shiny coat and his "you know what" is always normal, not to mention he rarely gets sick (i.e. puking). Nutro costs roughly $30 - $35 per 30 LB bag and that usually lasts him a month.

Did you feed him Nutro when he was a puppy too?

Most brands are similar, with the exception of where they get the meats. Some cheaper brands get meat from China, which was part of the recall last year.

As one poster said, make the change gradually. It can upset their stomach when changing foods, so when you find one, stick with it.

The best thing for puppies or high energy dogs is high protien. You should be able to find a good brand with at least 22% or higher. Also, I'll agree that lamb and rice mixes are really good.

(my background, K9 officer and dog trainer for many years)

It might be just something she is going through like a stomach bug or whatever. Usually your vet will recommend a rice and chicken diet until the "runs" or "puking" has passed.

If you still want to change her food then do it slowly. Meaning, for the first couple of days or first week mix the food 25% new brand with 75% old brand. Then the up it to 50/50, then you can go to 75/25 and eventually you can change it over completely to the new brand. This avoids some MAJOR mess' in the house due to rapid change in her diet.

Good post.

One of the things we did when our dogs were pups is mix in brown rice with the food. One of our dogs ended up overweight and the vet told us about the green bean diet. Pretty interesting diet as you cut back on the dry but still give them proper calories but substitute much of it for unsalted green beans. Those beans run right through them but they fill him up.

My dog "Simon" has been on this diet for a while now. We rescued him from a shelter and just gave him too much of the good life. Little did we know he was a chow hound and had the ability to con everyone into thinking he was starving. ( ever see a dog suck in his cheeks? Well Simon does)

Anyways, He went from 110 pounds to a svelte 90 pounds now and his activity level has increased.

As for you puppy, a soft or runny stool can be symptom of a number of things. Have you had any major changes in the household lately? If not, the post that I quoted has a good idea. I gradual change of food will work better.

Archived