Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Beached Killer Whale in Hawaii

@DCGoldPants

http://www.ireport.com/docs/DOC-121699

We heard there was a beached killer whale down at Brennecke's beach,in Poipu, and took off to go see if it was still there!

Not something you see EVER in hawaii. Brought both video and still camera. The scene had about 1000 people crowded around a fenced off area on the beach and road trying to get a glance at the whale. The whale seemed tired, or very sick as it was being pushed back and forth by the waves that were coming in. It was being pushed up against some reef & rocks and you could see that it had many scrapes from the reef on it's belly, which were bleeding. It wasn't even trying to get out, although it would spout water from the top of its blow hole from time to time so we knew it was still alive. Whale was lassoed and euthanized then picked up by 2 excavators and put on a flat bed truck.

Very sad story. The fact that it was only one whale makes me think that it was a sick or injured animal already.

or just old man. we had a seal that just washed up on my local shore and when they picked it up they said that it probably just died out at sea and eventually drifted in.

it doesnt appear that it was attacked but thats the way of nature. :2cents:

To me it does not look like an adult orca ,judging from the picture with the people standing around it, but the angle and distance probably throws off the size of the whale, plus the fact that it is so thin, but that could be due to an illness.

Chances are the orca was just sick but this story may actually tie in to the project I am doing on the effects of sonar on whales and dolphins. How far is this place from the naval base in Hawaii?

dont quote me on this reic but i dont think they are allowed to test sonar so close to land are they? i could be totally wrong but i would hope they have something against that.

and i would say by judging the people standing around it and seeing orcas at sea world that this one most definitely is not fully grown.

dont quote me on this reic but i dont think they are allowed to test sonar so close to land are they? i could be totally wrong but i would hope they have something against that.

and i would say by judging the people standing around it and seeing orcas at sea world that this one most definitely is not fully grown.

Yes, the Navy lost that court battle, and cannot do sonar testing in this area.

They don't need to test the sonar that close to land to **** up a whale's echolocation and coordination and have them get beached. But, with them not testing around this particular area, it just leads me to believe the orca was sick.

Archived