Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Aikman Rankings

3CardMonte

The defense is not as high because aside from the Eagles they were merely average versus the top offenses in the NFL so far. To put it simply...

Taking an advanced physics class and getting a C+ in it does not make you smart. Taking an advanced physics class and getting an A in it does.

The defense is not as high because aside from the Eagles they were merely average versus the top offenses in the NFL so far. To put it simply...

Taking an advanced physics class and getting a C+ in it does not make you smart. Taking an advanced physics class and getting an A in it does.

Actually, we were better than all or most other teams against those top offenses. Getting a C+ in advanced physics isn't bad if the rest of the class is getting a D-.

The problem with our defense is a lack of turnovers and sacks. If we could cure that, then our offense would get a shorter field and hopefully score more points.

This seems to be the problem the last several years.

I think our defense is fine, if our defense continues to perform like this and we can convert more red zone trips into TDs, I think we could take over games before late in the 4th.

Actually, we were better than all or most other teams against those top offenses. Getting a C+ in advanced physics isn't bad if the rest of the class is getting a D-.

i was going to say the same thing. well, say that it does make you smart if the C+ is the highest grade in the class...

but still.

It is if the rest of your class are idiots... The Skins get an A for what they did versus the Saints (albeit in their first week with injuries) and the Eagles.

However, you're trying to ask for extra credit because the Redskins did better against the Giants than the Rams, Bengals, Seahawks, and Browns. Meanwhile, 49ers did better than the Redskins.

Similarily, the only Top 10 defense the Cowboys faced aside from us was the Eagles.

The highest rated defense the Cardinals faced are the #10 Bills.

Now check out our offense. We put up 455 yards (highest) versus the Saints. Next highest offense is the Broncos with 369. We put up 381 (highest) yards versus the Cowboys. Next highest is the Eagles with 337. We put up 388 (highest) versus the Eagles. Next highest is the Cowboys is 380.

And so on.

AER measures a team effectiveness at the specific unit level, not the total output. For example, a team that moves the ball well but comes away with field goals instead of touchdowns will score higher on NFL ranking(total offense in yards) but lower on AERs ( % of possible points vs actual points produced)

I think it is a better indicator of how good a unit is than the NFL ranking would indicate.

Aikman Efficiency Ratings Formula

The Aikman Efficiency Ratings measure offensive and defensive performance using a combination of seven key statistics identified by Troy, and then measured against league norms (and extremes) established over the last 10 years. An offense or defense performing exactly at league norms in all categories will achieve a score of 75. The better the offense or defense, the higher the score on either scale.

It will take a truly exceptional unit to score more than 90 during an entire season on either the offensive or defensive scale. Higher scores are possible in individual games.

In 2005, AER scores ranged on offense from 92.6 (Seattle) to 60.9 (San Francisco) and on defense from 89.3 (Chicago) to 61.1 (Houston). The seven categories measured are:

Adjusted Points (20%) -- Total Points Scored or Allowed minus Points on Returns and Safeties

Turnovers (20%)

Red Zone Efficiency (20%) -- Measured by Percent of Possible Points (see below)

Yards Per Play -- divided into Yards Per Rush (10% of total) and Yards Per Pass Play (10% of total). Yards Per Pass Play includes yards on plays involving sacks.

First Down Achievement -- divided into Total First Downs (10% of total) and 3rd Down Conversion Percentage (10% of total)

Percentage of Possible Points in the Red Zone is figured by taking the number of Red Zone Chances times 7, then dividing it by the number of Points Actually Scored (defined as TDs times 7 plus FGs times 3).

I think our defense is fine, if our defense continues to perform like this and we can convert more red zone trips into TDs, I think we could take over games before late in the 4th.

I think our defense is good. They are stingy...definitely. I just wish they could create some turnovers to help the offense out. We have to be close to last in the league for creating turnovers. It is hard for an offense to travel 80 yards every time.

I didn't think our red zone offense was that bad this year (with the exception of the Rams game). Maybe i am wrong. But, it seems like we fizzle out between the 30-50.

Does anyone have stats on our red zone efficiency?

Also, love the "Dime" gif in your sig!

It is if the rest of your class are idiots... The Skins get an A for what they did versus the Saints (albeit in their first week with injuries) and the Eagles.

However, you're trying to ask for extra credit because the Redskins did better against the Giants than the Rams, Bengals, Seahawks, and Browns. Meanwhile, 49ers did better than the Redskins.

Similarily, the only Top 10 defense the Cowboys faced aside from us was the Eagles.

The highest rated defense the Cardinals faced are the #10 Bills.

Now check out our offense. We put up 455 yards (highest) versus the Saints. Next highest offense is the Broncos with 369. We put up 381 (highest) yards versus the Cowboys. Next highest is the Eagles with 337. We put up 388 (highest) versus the Eagles. Next highest is the Cowboys is 380.

And so on.

Interesting, I didn't realize that our offense had fared that well in relative terms against those defenses.

However, I don't believe any offense that averages 15.5 points against the Browns and Rams (two of your "idiot" teams) can be considered 3rd in the league.

Archived