Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Joey Banner takes shot at Jerrah

Westbrook36

Too funny. Banner has no ****ing room to talk.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/extramustard/specials/morning_jolt/2008/10/21/morning.jolt/index.html

Eagles exec takes shots at Cowboys

Joe Banner took a few shots at the already reeling Dallas Cowboys today when he told the Eagles' web site he would would not have traded three draft picks in 2009, including a first- and third-rounder, to the Detroit Lions for wide receiver Roy Williams. "I mean, they paid a lot,'' said Banner, who confirmed the Eagles (3-3) did attempt to trade for Kansas City Chiefs tight end Tony Gonzalez prior to the Oct. 14 deadline. "Time will tell. I wouldn't pay that much for a player like that.'' The injury-ravaged Cowboys (4-3) also sent a sixth-round selection and picked up Detroit's seventh rounder next April for Williams, a 2006 Pro Bowler who was thrown to only twice in Sunday's 34-14 loss to the St. Louis Rams and did not register a catch. While addressing the team's approach to improving the roster, the Birds' president took yet another swipe at the Cowboys. "Our goal is to win a Super Bowl, forget win a playoff game, which is something they are still working on,'' Banner said. Dallas, which defeated the Eagles 41-37 Sept. 15, have not won a playoff game since 1996. (Newark Star-Ledger)

Joe Banner took a few shots at the already reeling Dallas Cowboys today when he told the Eagles' web site he would would not have traded three draft picks in 2009, including a first- and third-rounder, to the Detroit Lions for wide receiver Roy Williams. "I mean, they paid a lot,'' said Banner

The eagles won't give up anything in a trade, that's why they never get any players they need

The eagles won't give up anything in a trade, that's why they never get any players they need

I agree, a Bird FO person telling another team they overpaid for a player is a little out of line. Agree or disagree with the trade the pukes are at least trying to make their team better and trying to address a position of need.

I would have to say that their pick up of TO so far has been a plus. I think TO is no longer in his prime, but still a threat, and Dallas got more out of him than Philly did. He didn't deliver a championship, but that has more to do with the rest of the team than him.

Bubba is right. Dallas no doubt over paid in the trade and made what most call a dumb move for this team, when in fact the offense never was the problem (until Romo sits to pee got hurt) Although I, like some others, feel that RW11 is also here to take the reigns of WR #1 when TO is gone.

Now, over paid or not, at least JJ will try to briong in p;layers, trade some picks and pay some $$$ to bring in a championship. Yes, up until right this secoind it is proven ineffective, but he is trying. The Eagles do not make that same effort. Not the way JJ and others have done. And whats ythe point of draft picks in Philly, when they really are not very good at evaluating talent in the draft.

Nice Try Banner, but you FAIL!!!!

Joe Banner keeps selling and Eagles fans (well a lot anyway) keep buying.

As long as Lurie is making money, do not expect a change. In fact the elevation of Howie Roseman this year insures that you will see more of the same from the Eagles.

Banner/Roseman/Lurie = pencil pusher money guys. When they talk football, they sound like idiots.

I love how he is using the Cowboys situation to claim that the Eagles approach is the right one. Banner also took the opportunity to say he thinks TO has lost a step. Another implied validation that the Eagles were right to let him go.

Gold. Standard.

I agree, a Bird FO person telling another team they overpaid for a player is a little out of line. Agree or disagree with the trade the pukes are at least trying to make their team better and trying to address a position of need.

I would have to say that their pick up of TO so far has been a plus. I think TO is no longer in his prime, but still a threat, and Dallas got more out of him than Philly did. He didn't deliver a championship, but that has more to do with the rest of the team than him.

Not only that but he's mocking another team's post season success. That is too funny.

Hilarious stuff here. As others have pointed out, in a vacuum, Banner is right - it was a bad trade by Dallas.

But the Eagles hold onto their draft picks to a fault. Their approach has been equally futile. I truly believe that having a bunch of draft picks is an end onto itself for the Eagles. It almost seems like a fetish. They just love to have them for the sake of having them. They certainly aren't terribly productive with all those picks.

For a good team, a bunch of draft picks is overkill because there are, realistically, only so many roster spots open. I'm pretty certain that the Eagles could get the same number of hits on their picks with far fewer than they accumulate. Or, maybe, the Eagle FO is just being realistic with itself and realizing that they really don't know what they are doing and they need all the picks they can get to hopefully luck into a player or two who can actually play :).

The Eagles do have the right approach. I'll defend the approach from a philosophical perspective until I'm out of breath.

The problem the Eagles have is that they can't evaluate talent. A great strategy to team building isn't worth crap if you can't draft good players, and that's where the Eagles are right now.

The Eagles problem has nothing to do with neglecting to send three picks for Roy Williams or refusing to offer 18 million guranteed for someone like Bernard Berrian.

The problem with the Eagles is in drafting L.J. Smith, Freddie Mitchell, Winston Justice, Matt Ware, Ryan Moats, Tony Hunt, Reggie Brown, Sean Considine, Matt McCoy, etc.

It's not the approach. It's the execution.

Let me add that the problems in execution are institutional, meaning they won't be solved easily. When a guy like Roseman gets a promotion into personel and you continue to employ the scouts that have created the schotty drafting history that you hired after firing a team of scouts that created a successful drafting history, you're bound for failure.

The fact that execution rather than approach keeps the Eagles from being competitive is hardly a saving grace for the team's future. The cabal that runs the team isn't going anywhere, and the cabal believes there's no problem. If you can't recognize a problem, you're obviously never going to find the solution.

My favorite team ladies and gentleman. We'll see if we luck into a competitive roster five years from now.

The Eagles do have the right approach. I'll defend the approach from a philosophical perspective until I'm out of breath.

The problem the Eagles have is that they can't evaluate talent. A great strategy to team building isn't worth crap if you can't draft good players, and that's where the Eagles are right now.

The Eagles problem has nothing to do with neglecting to send three picks for Roy Williams or refusing to offer 18 million guranteed for someone like Bernard Berrian.

The problem with the Eagles is in drafting L.J. Smith, Freddie Mitchell, Winston Justice, Matt Ware, Ryan Moats, Tony Hunt, Reggie Brown, Sean Considine, Matt McCoy, etc.

I do agree but some of those guys were solid picks like Smith and Brown. Smith just can't stay healthy and Brown is an NFL receiver. He's just not a #1.

It's a solid approach, in theory, but the Eagles turn this virtue into a vice. Like I said, they have a fetish for draft picks. The more, the merrier, and who is drafted is less important than that you get them in quantity.

"We have 12 picks in the next draft!" Whoop-de-do. Most aren't going to amount to anything. What about packaging some of those and get a Roy Williams or a Tony Gonzalez that can really make a difference on the team? Why not occasionally take a gamble and go after a player that could possibly really help your team NOW, rather than collect hordes of unknown quantities that MAY be able to help your team a few years in the future by taking over for players that served the team in the same capacity (which means the team hasn't really improved, just stayed the same)?

I agree that the Eagle talent evaluation is sub-standard (really, it's the worst of any team in the division, considering the relative # of picks). Too bad that won't change any time soon :no:.

:D

Laurie's boy is out there telling the world the pukes paid too much money for RW...

If Laurie spent any money on players, this insight might be credible.

As it is, it's laughable.

:rotflmao:

The Eagles and the Bears are the cheapest organizations in football.

Laurie's boy is out there telling the world the pukes paid too much money for RW...

If Laurie spent any money on players, this insight might be credible.

As it is, it's laughable.

:rotflmao:

The Eagles and the Bears are the cheapest organizations in football.

Exactly. If signing player X makes the team 5% more likely to win the Superbowl, the Eagles would pass while other teams in the division wouldn't hesitate.

Its as if winning the Superbowl is secondary to their bottom line.

I was happy to see that article. Maybe this will motivate some of the underachievers on Dallas....at least when they play in Philly.

To busy reading their own clippings (those that can) Even in the eye of the storm the Cowboys seem to be in many remain in denial. i.e. Wade Phillips, Tank Johnson, Crayton and others.

Why? What makes the approach that great? The Redskins of old would go after the big name in FA. In fact, they still do if you consider the signing of Jason Taylor a big name/cost too much (which he might have).

Now contrast that with the Eagles who would prefer to sign second tier guys to fill the spots. The Kleckos, the Gaffneys, the Dahani Joneses, the Takeo Spikeses, the Chris Clemonses (and he was expensive). Even Kevin Curtis is second tier (even though he's been productive)

This year they went after what everyone considered to be a top tier CB in Assante, when they had a very serviceable CB in Tito.

So they go after free agents. They just don't pay that much. In effect, they go after the wrong free agents, because these guys don't really improve the team that much and they take up roster spots. Lorenzo Booker?

So maybe somewhere between signing every top FA and Zero top free agents, there is a middle ground. I don't see how this is a ringing endorsement that the Eagles system is a great one. It's not like it's putting a top product on the field.

The only team I can think of that didn't make many changes on the road to the Super Bowl is the Giants last year, and even they added Kawika Mitchell. Years before they added McKenzie, O'Hara, Pierce, Fred Robbins.

The Eagles have a list of players they "almost signed" longer than the list of players the Redskins Have signed. They almost seem to take pride in the fact that other teams outbid them.

In my mind, the real problem is Andy Reid, because he's too damn stubborn to realize that it isn't his glorious system, sometimes it's talent that determines success. He tries to force second tier players into positions, and they end up being mediocre as a result. Na Brown? Dahani? Freddie Mitchell? Klecko at FB?? Considine? GoCong? (I still think he sucks) Ware? Moats? That abortion at kick returner last year cost them the Green Bay game.

Maybe you're right. They don't need to sign every big name. But they damn well should go after a few, and when they get outbid, it should not be some badge of honor. It's a failure.

I think it's both

Why? What makes the approach that great? The Redskins of old would go after the big name in FA. In fact, they still do if you consider the signing of Jason Taylor a big name/cost too much (which he might have).

Now contrast that with the Eagles who would prefer to sign second tier guys to fill the spots. The Kleckos, the Gaffneys, the Dahani Joneses, the Takeo Spikeses, the Chris Clemonses (and he was expensive). Even Kevin Curtis is second tier (even though he's been productive)

This year they went after what everyone considered to be a top tier CB in Assante, when they had a very serviceable CB in Tito.

So they go after free agents. They just don't pay that much. In effect, they go after the wrong free agents, because these guys don't really improve the team that much and they take up roster spots. Lorenzo Booker?

So maybe somewhere between signing every top FA and Zero top free agents, there is a middle ground. I don't see how this is a ringing endorsement that the Eagles system is a great one. It's not like it's putting a top product on the field.

The only team I can think of that didn't make many changes on the road to the Super Bowl is the Giants last year, and even they added Kawika Mitchell. Years before they added McKenzie, O'Hara, Pierce, Fred Robbins.

The Eagles have a list of players they "almost signed" longer than the list of players the Redskins Have signed. They almost seem to take pride in the fact that other teams outbid them.

In my mind, the real problem is Andy Reid, because he's too damn stubborn to realize that it isn't his glorious system, sometimes it's talent that determines success. He tries to force second tier players into positions, and they end up being mediocre as a result. Na Brown? Dahani? Freddie Mitchell? Klecko at FB?? Considine? GoCong? (I still think he sucks) Ware? Moats? That abortion at kick returner last year cost them the Green Bay game.

Maybe you're right. They don't need to sign every big name. But they damn well should go after a few, and when they get outbid, it should not be some badge of honor. It's a failure.

I think it's both

The New England Patriots.

The amount of "big time free agents" the Eagles have signed is, I'm guessing, consistent with league average. There is some distorted sense that every team, besides the Eagles, is out there throwing money at the best player available at any perceived week spot on their roster. That's just not the case.

The reason the Eagles have so many glaring holes, and the reason it seems like they should be more aggressive in pursuing high-profile free agents, is because they are so bad at drafting.

Draft well. Augment your team with mid-level free agents. Splurge on the well-timed stud when he comes available and you have a hole. That's the system, and it's a good one, given that you take care of tenet number one.

Problem is, the Eagles don't draft well, they rarely get the production the expect from their mid-level acquisitions, and they've missed on one and half of their big purchases (Kearse and T.O.).

It has nothing to do with approach, and especially has nothing to do with frugality. The problem is the guys picking the players. They haven't done their job.

Randy Moss

They traded for him for a fourth rounder. Just like we did for T.O.

The difference is, they draft Ben Watson and we draft L.J. Smith. They draft Vince Wilfork and we draft Bunkley/Patterson. They draft Seymour and we draft Corey Simon/Jerome McDougle.

When they sign Teddy Bruschi and Mike Vrabel we sign Dhani Jones and Mark Simmoneau. When they sign Sammy Morris we trade for Lorenzo Booker. When they sign Jabar Gaffney we sign... Jabar Gaffney (bad example I guess).They sign Rodney Harrison we sign Blaine Bishop (similar stature at the time, if you recall). When they sign Seau we sign Takeo Spikes

Then, the big one, when they splurge on Adalius Thomas we splurge on Jevon Kearse. When they trade for Corey Dillon and Randy Moss, they affect the players enough for them to behave while we trade for T.O. and have nothing but problems.

The two teams have the same approach and mentality. The only difference is, they're actually good at choosing the players.

Archived