Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

IF we go WR in R2, will it be Calico?

JangoFett

On 980 I heard that Bram mentioned a few player's at the skins' targeted positions, among them (and the only WR) was Tyrone Calico. This guy has disgusting athletic ability. If they can coach him up to be a legit route-runner, this guy could be a terror. He ran an electronic fourty (which are typically slower than manual readings) of 4.27, the fastest of ANY player at the combine. and he's 6'4. That's at least as good as Andre Johnson. His WR skills are a different story, and why the guy is R2 rather than R1 material. This is a guy to get excited about even if it's better for the team to pick DE or SS.

I would probably take Pomaleau or Witten over this guy, but I would take him over Doss.

Tyrone Calico

Wide Receiver

Middle Tennessee State

collected by draftbook.com

6-4/221

40: 4.38

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Matthew Gambill collected by draftbook.com

3-30-03 Ran the fastest electronic forty of any player at the combine(4.27). Has tremendous size, speed, and strength. A very intriguing prospect in the Jerry Porter mold. Could get some looks late in the first round, but should be a top 50 pick.

1-17-03 Middle Tennessee State's Tyrone Calico was the most physically imposing receiver in Mobile. At 6033 and 219-pounds, Calico showed better than expected hands and looked to be a much-improved route runner. He was able to get out the blocks quickly and looked very smooth in his routes. He's a big bodied player who is expected to run in the low to mid 4.4 range(4.42 in spring). Positioned himself nicely and will likely be a solid second rounder.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

John Murphy collected by draftbook.com

2-27-03 Ran 4.33 in the 40... at 6-foot-4, 223 pounds... great size/speed prospect... needs work on his hands/routes... but it is hard to turn away from those numbers... just look what Jerry Porter (Raiders) has done with similar physical tools...

1-15-03 Middle Tennessee State WR Tyrone Calico (#11) has a great physique... routes need some work... catches the ball well in traffic... knows how to use his size to his advantage... should be a mid-to-late day one guy...

12-05-02 Middle Tennessee State senior wide receiver Tyrone Calico is one of the most physically-gifted receivers available for next year's NFL Draft. He had 45 catches for 606 yards and four touchdowns this season, playing in a run-oriented offense that also spreads the ball around to a number of different options. "(I) think I really improved my game a lot this season... catching the ball better, not dropping many passes... I just wanted to become a better all-around player", explains Calico. Calico set a school record with 65 catches as a freshman, including 12 against East Tennesssee State and 9 versus Arizona. He also scored a pair of 40-plus yard touchdowns in his first season with the team. The Tennessee native won the "Best Conditioned Athlete Award" in 2000; he can power clean over 350 pounds, averages 4.4 in the 40 and has a near 40" vertical.He had 16 catches for 276 yards and two touchdowns in games against Maryland, Illinois and Mississippi State during his sophomore year. Both of the scores came against current Washingon Redskins cornerback Fred Smoot, who then was the starting cornerback for Mississippi State. In fact, one of his scores against Mississippi State came on a highlight film moment from 42 yards out, as he snared a pass one-handed along the sideline, split three defenders, and raced to the endzone. The catch was voted as the best catch of the year by a national panel of broadcasters and sportswriters.Last season he superb effort against Idaho, grabbing five passes for 160 yards, including three touchdowns. He also added scores against Ole Miss and LSU, while taking a reverse 38 yards for a score against Arkansas State. His performance earned him Co-Offensive MVP honors, which is an award he is up for once again this season.His biggests assets are his size, big hands, long arms and ability to gain an instant advantage on smaller defensive backs, especially over the middle. He has proven to be a strong and willing blocker, which will help him get on the field quickly at the pro level. The two areas he seems to have worked on the most is coming back to the ball and not rounding off his routes, as much as in previous years.Calico is poised to make a huge impression on scouts in the post-season, as he will be attending the Senior Bowl. A successful week of practice, especially showing that he can get off the line and gain separation from a higher class of defender, could push him into the mid-to-late portion of the second round come draft day.

8-21-02 Fellow senior, wide receiver Tyrone Calico is also doing much to impress the pro scouts that come to Murfreesboro, Tennessee. The super-sized wide receiver (6-4, 221 lbs.) recorded a 4.38 40-time in the spring, and last week power-cleaned 374 pounds in the weight room, which is one of best marks posted by a receiver in a long time. To give you some idea of what that mark means... current Washington Redskins defensive tackle Daryl Gardener, who is 6-foot-6, 317 pounds, power-cleaned the exact same 374 pounds when he was a senior at Baylor University. Calico has Top-50 pick skills!

Len Pasquarelli collected by draftbook.com

2-24-03 Great size and linear speed, and he really lit it up in the 40, with a few scouts clocking him at just under 4.4. Caught the ball adequately, but he will really have to work on his hands and, even more important, on route technique. He's very raw but it's too hard to ignore his deep speed potential.

Pro Football Weekly collected by draftbook.com

1-16-03 “(Middle Tennessee State WR) Tyrone Calico has to catch the ball in traffic if he wants to play in the NFL. Has to. The last two days, he hasn’t done it. He catches well when he gets his feet set and has both eyes on the quarterback, but not when he’s moving.”

1-15-03 Middle Tennessee State WR Tyrone Calico, who dropped to do pushups anytime he dropped a pass — “He looks physically gifted. But if you are (6-4, 221) and you don’t go get a jump ball, what can you do?”

DJ Boyer collected by draftbook.com

1-8-03 Strength:Vertical leapSpeed

Weakness:Route runningConsistency

Assessment:Tyrone Calico saw his numbers drop at Middle Tennessee State but most of that was due to Dwone Hicks and the fact that the run was stressed more in the offense. Calico is starting to do the little things on the football field like block and make more catches in the middle of the field. Calico has very good speed and is another tall prospect who has leaping ability to go with his size. Calico needs to work on running more crisp routes and developing more consistency. There were times where it looked like if he wasn’t involved with the game plan his routes would get sloppy and he wouldn’t create seperation when his number was finally called. Is a prospect who is very coachable and is someone who I think has a bright future in the NFL. One of my draft darkhorses, I like Calico a lot.

Joel Buchsbaumcollected by draftbook.com

10-15-02 WR Tyrone Calico is starting to come on although he still does not play to his 4.4 speed. However, he is big, physical and fast enough for a big receiver.

Mel Kipercollected by draftbook.com

8-22-02 While the sure-handed Newson is no longer available, they are fortunate to return senior Tyrone Calico, an intriguing pro prospect due to his size (6-3½ 218) and athleticism. He's hauled in 149 receptions for a 13.6-yard average and 13 TDs during his stay with the Blue Raiders.

Both of the scores came against current Washingon Redskins cornerback Fred Smoot, who then was the starting cornerback for Mississippi State. In fact, one of his scores against Mississippi State came on a highlight film moment from 42 yards out, as he snared a pass one-handed along the sideline, split three defenders, and raced to the endzone. The catch was voted as the best catch of the year by a national panel of broadcasters and sportswriters.
The super-sized wide receiver (6-4, 221 lbs.) recorded a 4.38 40-time in the spring, and last week power-cleaned 374 pounds in the weight room, which is one of best marks posted by a receiver in a long time. To give you some idea of what that mark means... current Washington Redskins defensive tackle Daryl Gardener, who is 6-foot-6, 317 pounds, power-cleaned the exact same 374 pounds when he was a senior at Baylor University.

I dunno. There are some things I love about Calico. If you want to talk about upside, think Terrell Owens, except with a touch more straightline speed.

Also, like Owens, he will need some time to develop because of his small college background.

Another similarity to Owens--his hands. That can be good AND bad. Owens can make some incredible, acrobatic, clutch grabs. But he can also make some horrendous drops at bad times--a la the game against the Bears a couple of seasons ago when an easy catch went through his hands into the waiting arms of Mike Brown who returned the interception for an easy TD and an OT win.

Owens, as great as he is, has a lot of drops. I mean A LOT of drops. He just doesn't have natural, pass catching hands and needs to have top concentration to make catches.

This is how I see Calico, too. A lot of scouts complained about his drops at the Senior Bowl. And some of them complained about his inability to outmuscle smaller DBs for jump ball-type passes. At that size, that's a skill you just HAVE to be able to do.

Calico is definately a possibility, but he's green and needs a lot of work. He could be a terrific player, but only if he has a terrific work ethic.

A couple of other 2nd round WR possibilities could be Bryant Johnson and Brandon Lloyd, who are both very good athletes, as well, and much more natural pass catchers and more polished receivers.

A couple of other 2nd round WR possibilities could be Bryant Johnson and Brandon Lloyd, who are both very good athletes, as well, and much more natural pass catchers and more polished receivers.

Good eye Guru. I like Calico, but I don't like him any better than I like Bryant Johnson, Kelly Washington, or Kevin Curtis. Brandon Loyd has great hands and great routes, but is certainly not a burner.

If WR is the target, I'd prefer they take B.J. or K.W. (May be falling again due to injury report). Even better, a trade down to the end of the second and then pulling the trigger on Kevin Curtis. he's being placed as a third rounder, but getting him at the bottom of the second and acquiring other picks might be enough to entice the F.O.

IMO we have the time to devote to develop Calico and his upside is HUGE. He's a big guy with arm length, isn't afraid to go over the middle and he's fast! I wouldn't doubt it if we let Gardner go when his contract is up and we should have a guy in the waiting to replace him. And with Calico's size AND speed, I think he'd make a great starter in this system if given the time to develop.

I don't really like Tyrone Calico. Way too many questions. Seems like a great workout guy but doesnt back it up as much on the field. A guy with that kind of speed and size should average more than 13-15 yards per catch in college.

He is much too raw and inconsistent.

Bad hands + bad route running = bad WR

A lot of poeple on this board wanted to compare Andre Johnson to Michael Westbrook but it seems to me like this Calico guy could represent more of a Westbrook clone than Johnson. Just a workout freak who coasts on the field.

I think most of us agree, his upside is huge. Maybe be won't be afraid to go over the middle, but might not be able to catch it on the move. I hope this problem would be correctable.

If it is a WR, I'd go with TC or Kevin Curtis, Mr. I scored a 48 on the wonderlic and run a 4.3 40.

He catches well when he gets his feet set and has both eyes on the quarterback, but not when he’s moving.”

Originally posted by TheSchwartz

I don't really like Tyrone Calico. Way too many questions. Seems like a great workout guy but doesnt back it up as much on the field. A guy with that kind of speed and size should average more than 13-15 yards per catch in college.

He is much too raw and inconsistent.

Bad hands + bad route running = bad WR

A lot of poeple on this board wanted to compare Andre Johnson to Michael Westbrook but it seems to me like this Calico guy could represent more of a Westbrook clone than Johnson. Just a workout freak who coasts on the field.

Very true. It's hard not to drool a little over his workout stats when you consider that we might be able to get him in the second. But at the same time, all the althletic ability in the world doesn't do anything for your at WR if you can't catch a ball and run where SOS needs you to be. That will be a tough call, but I could easily see the FO making that pick. It's a gamble with potential for a hefty payoff (see Terrell Owens).

Archived