Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

real redskins fans

ronnix

i have been cheering for the washington redskins since 1946. i have been through a lot of ups and downs. i have been through a lot of coaches, players, stadiums. i remember as a kid my dad and uncles, hoping the old

street cars, getting off and stopping at the many small delis enroute for food, and beverages on the way to old griffith stadium. i remember watching players on defense and offense. many hurting but out there. seeing the greatest of all slinging sammy baugh, qb, cornerback, and kicker of field goals, and extra points. none better. a real man. i watched the bad seasons, and the good ones, especially the george allen, and joe gibbs era. still loyal to this day living here in tennessee now after, retiring from the usaf. i just want to express how tired i am of all the constant bickering, and hating on this board for about my skins. yes, the skins were beaten by another pro team the st louis rams, and this game was one of those set up games. the best kind to lose. sure, some of our guys were taking this game for granted, but it happens in the pros and the college ranks. we have a lot of brian mitchells on here, and he is still a punk, because he really hopes for the skins to play poorly so he can *****. i am thankful for all the good games, and happenings with my skins, and some of you need to tone down your criticism, or root for some other team. i am a proud redskins fan, not just when times are good.

Nice post, it really is true that there were tough times, even in the glory years.

I really need to learn NOT to post right after a loss, because I think I made some really stupid armchair quarterback comments...

That said, this is a talented team that damn near won a game in which it practically gifted to the Rams on a silver platter. It's very unlikely we'll see another game like it this year. At least I hope not.

Agreed with most of what you say.

However, if you're saying that someone who questions the team, questions their work ethic, their play, or even criticize them is not a real fan then I must disagree with you. Even if you don't criticize or question publicly, one should ALWAYS question what is being said and done by their "organization." I put that in quotes simply b/c I believe it to stand true for all areas in life - your country, your religion, your relationships, and yes even your sports team. If you don't, how can you truly appreciate them? You'll probably not want better effort out of them either b/c then you're not a "real fan" a "real American" or anything that fits that line of thinking. Blindly following is not a way to support, but is complacency and takes away the relationship you have with said "organization."

Just my thoughts, maybe I'm completely wrong, but that's how I approach all things in life. Anys, great to hear from you and loved what you said none the less. :D

:dallasuck *Side note - lol@Tony Homo and his broken pinky*

I am glad to see someone come right out and say something about real Skins fans, I am getting so tired of these Chinese knockoff Skynz brand fans with their melamine aftertaste

LOL... "mealmine"

I dunno... some people just like to come on here and analyze what they've seen during the game. Sunday there was a lot of negative stuff to analyze, so it makes sense there was a lot of negative posts.

I really don't need to be told how to be a "true Redskins fan"... I've been rooting for this team for over 30 years myself. Some people like to be Monday Morning Quarterbacks, some folks just like to be Pollyannas. There's no one way for a fan to act. No biggie... as long as we all root for the burgundy and gold, it's all good.

with you all the way.

I wore my redskins tie to work today.

this guy came up to me in the bathroom was like... "you wore your tie today? they lost... true fan huh?"

i said "yes" with a smile... as i proceeded to the urinal to relieve myself.

EXACTLY!! I had no idea there were so many "Redskins Fans" at my school until the day after we beat the cowboys, then everyone decided to wear their jersey.

:doh:

I'm on board, have been for 27 yrs. Win or lose, I'm pretty close to being a homer. I'm realisitic, knowing we will lose some here and there. It sucks that we should have won the game, have the talent to win, but we didn't. It brought them back to earth, I'm not worried. We have a good team. Here's hoping that by January I can say, we have a Great team!:cheers:

I know everyone can bicker, and im not trying to stir the pot with this comment, but is it just me...or does it seem like "most" of the bickering comes from the young fans? The ones who haven't been through the rough times along with the good? The new fans who really only know the recent Redskins and only know of our history through word of mouth (or DVDs)? I know im not that old, but I remember the glory days of the 80s's, and I remember the gloomy days of the 90's (after 92)

Im not knocking the young guys, as any Skins fan is a brother of mine. Just that i seem to notice alot of the bickering comes from fans with 22 or younger under there names. Please dont take this the wrong way young guys, I love you guys as much as any Skins fan. But I just get the feeling you might be expecting greater things from this team...while most of us are just happy to be 4-2.

I know this might be taken the wrong way, so Im prepared for the replies.

Very good post. I have only been a skins fan since '81. I have felt redskin hate regardless of winning or losing season. (Don't know how many times I have heard deadskins) At one time it was easy to point on those who would jump on the bandwagon. But after reading ES, sometimes its hard to tell the difference between a diehard fan and a bandwagoneer.

EXACTLY!! I had no idea there were so many "Redskins Fans" at my school until the day after we beat the cowboys, then everyone decided to wear their jersey.

:doh:

I'd say they're all bandwagon fans. At UMCP I saw the most jerseys after back to back road wins vs Dallas and the Eagles. Made me laugh b/c I'll wear mine win, lose, or draw.

I know everyone can bicker, and im not trying to stir the pot with this comment, but is it just me...or does it seem like "most" of the bickering comes from the young fans? The ones who haven't been through the rough times along with the good? The new fans who really only know the recent Redskins and only know of our history through word of mouth (or DVDs)? I know im not that old, but I remember the glory days of the 80s's, and I remember the gloomy days of the 90's (after 92)

Im not knocking the young guys, as any Skins fan is a brother of mine. Just that i seem to notice alot of the bickering comes from fans with 22 or younger under there names. Please dont take this the wrong way young guys, I love you guys as much as any Skins fan. But I just get the feeling you might be expecting greater things from this team...while most of us are just happy to be 4-2.

I don't know. The ones I see hate the most are 22-30 range. But that's from me.

I'm a stupid young kid.

:silly:

Nah, you're pretty much right. I know most people just think of all the negative things that could happen and therefore react based on all the negative things that have happened in the past with this team.

That said, you're also speaking of the generation of people used to internet chat, facebook, etc and all they do on those sites are yell, bicker, and have "internet flaming wars." You'd think they'd realize how foolish it makes them when it comes to all of it, but many think b/c they're behind a computer it's all good and there's no reason to worry so they can say and do whatever they want.

I don't know. The ones I see hate the most are 22-30 range. But that's from me.

I'm a stupid young kid.

:silly:

Nah im not saying you are stupid young kid, and like I said everyone can get a good bicker in. Im glad to have you aboard for however long you have been a fan.

We all started somewhere. Sometimes I just feel sorry for the young guys who didnt get to experience the feeling of winning multiple Super Bowls. The District has a distinct buzz to it...its a great feeling.

That said, you're also speaking of the generation of people used to internet chat, facebook, etc and all they do on those sites are yell, bicker, and have "internet flaming wars." You'd think they'd realize how foolish it makes them when it comes to all of it, but many think b/c they're behind a computer it's all good and there's no reason to worry so they can say and do whatever they want.

Good point about the internet generation. I always found these message boards comical, because you see peoples TRUE colors on here. Especially somewhere that isnt moderated. People making racial comments they would only dream of saying in person....and countless other character flaws are portrayed on boards daily. Its not the person we meet online, but rather their minds. Scary thought.

i have been cheering for the washington redskins since 1946. i have been through a lot of ups and downs. i have been through a lot of coaches, players, stadiums. i remember as a kid my dad and uncles, hoping the old

street cars, getting off and stopping at the many small delis enroute for food, and beverages on the way to old griffith stadium. i remember watching players on defense and offense. many hurting but out there. seeing the greatest of all slinging sammy baugh, qb, cornerback, and kicker of field goals, and extra points. none better. a real man. i watched the bad seasons, and the good ones, especially the george allen, and joe gibbs era. still loyal to this day living here in tennessee now after, retiring from the usaf. i just want to express how tired i am of all the constant bickering, and hating on this board for about my skins. yes, the skins were beaten by another pro team the st louis rams, and this game was one of those set up games. the best kind to lose. sure, some of our guys were taking this game for granted, but it happens in the pros and the college ranks. we have a lot of brian mitchells on here, and he is still a punk, because he really hopes for the skins to play poorly so he can *****. i am thankful for all the good games, and happenings with my skins, and some of you need to tone down your criticism, or root for some other team. i am a proud redskins fan, not just when times are good.

With you all the way ronnix. Great, from the heart post. :applause:

('Cept the part about #30 wanting us to play bad and lose, but that's a whole other can of worms we DON'T need to open again. It was bad enough on here the last time.).

Hail.

I can't really blame them. It's been a tough 17 years. Plus they didn't have the same caliber of players when I was growing up. Not to many Redskins greats from 92' to 2004'.

Nah im not saying you are stupid young kid, and like I said everyone can get a good bicker in. Im glad to have you aboard for however long you have been a fan.

We all started somewhere. Sometimes I just feel sorry for the young guys who didnt get to experience the feeling of winning multiple Super Bowls. The District has a distinct buzz to it...its a great feeling.

I was just bustin your chops a bit Ob. To be honest, there's only a handful of "young" guys on here I get along with on a regular basis you know? I have those handful on my friends list. All are knowledgable about the game, and know what they're talking about.

But more often than not, I find myself talking to the guys and gals in your age group. For the most part, they're a LOT more knowledgable.

I think that is a briliant post.

I watch the Redskins games in the UK either on Sky Sports or on the internet. I have got to the stage where if the Redskins lose in the early game I can't stand to watch the later games. I just don't want to see any more football until the Redskins win again.

I am probably never going to be classed as a bigger fan than you Washington based fans but I have a deep affection for the Washington Redskins.

I am happy just to say I started following them in 1985 and proud that I have stuck by them when they have been in a poor side.

I think that is a briliant post.

I watch the Redskins games in the UK either on Sky Sports or on the internet. I have got to the stage where if the Redskins lose in the early game I can't stand to watch the later games. I just don't want to see any more football until the Redskins win again.

I am probably never going to be classed as a bigger fan than you Washington based fans but I have a deep affection for the Washington Redskins.

I am happy just to say I started following them in 1985 and proud that I have stuck by them when they have been in a poor side.

Location bears no problem on one's fanhood my friend!! You are just as much a fan as any of us! Being able to follow the team while over seas is just impressive.

:cheers:

Archived