Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is it possible we'll see Todd Collins in a Rams jersey next season?

Mothmonsterman

Your assumption about Collins being wanted in St. Louis is probably based on the chance that Al Saunders would still be there. If Haslett doesn't keep the head coaching job longer than "interim", then it's likely the new permanent successor would want his own assistants.

Translation--No Saunders = No pursuit of Collins.

and take a cap hit? i think not.

What was the structure of Collins' contract? I didn't think there was that much upfront, so the cap hit might not be so bad.

Not that I'm advocating cutting him, but at some point Colt might become the backup in 2009.

EDIT: NVM, I see we did give him a significant bonus.

He has a pretty fresh contract with us... (3 years signed in Feb of this year) but I could see JZ wanting to bring in his own guy as a backup or a 3rd behind Colt.

You know Zorn lobbied hard to get Collins resigned, right? So much so that Zorn flew up to his house to convince him to resign here.

Collins IS Zorn's choice to back up Campbell.

Jason

I'd love to trade him for a fourth rounder but his cap hit is 2.5 million.

Nobody would trade a fourth rounder for an old player with no real starting potential. No knock on Collins, but he's not Favre or McNair.

I don't see us getting rid of him. I can't even imagine we'd be shopping him around.

he's a very good backup. let's not forget who it was that was our QB when Campbell went down with injury and we had that win streak to get into the playoffs. He went out in the off-season to get offers and no one wanted him as a starter so we kept him. I feel good about our QB situation. I don't think Colt is ready to back-up Campbell.

For the first time in a long time, we have the right mix at backup: experienced guy and brand new guy with ton of potential. Brand new guy is there to gain experience. Experienced guy is there to impart his knowledge of the game to starter and brand new guy. Experienced guy is there to rush in if an injury happens during the game. Brand new guy is there is it's season-ending.

Keep them both until guy with potential has 3 years under his belt. Then release experienced guy (he'll be 40) and bring in new guy with ton of potential or use Randle El as your 3rd QB in case of a "body-bag" game.

Several players were quoted as saying how Collins brings a lot to the table in terms of leadership, knowledge and experience. Along with Zorn, he helps to make JC and CB better. He's like another QB coach.

For the first time in a long time, we have the right mix at backup: experienced guy and brand new guy with ton of potential. Brand new guy is there to gain experience. Experienced guy is there to impart his knowledge of the game to starter and brand new guy. Experienced guy is there to rush in if an injury happens during the game. Brand new guy is there is it's season-ending.

Keep them both until guy with potential has 3 years under his belt. Then release experienced guy (he'll be 40) and bring in new guy with ton of potential or use Randle El as your 3rd QB in case of a "body-bag" game.

Several players were quoted as saying how Collins brings a lot to the table in terms of leadership, knowledge and experience. Along with Zorn, he helps to make JC and CB better. He's like another QB coach.

I agree totally. It has been a long time we were set up properly at the position. And depending on circumstances next year or the following, we can even switch the #2 & #3 guys while retaining both.

Archived