Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

It's Probably Here But I Don't See The Answer

Fan035

I think Zorn said after the game that "it was noone's fault" and that it was just some play that he had anticipated would get them a big gain and seal the game. I think he said after the play didn't work he was just pissed and needed to refocus on what to do in that situation - which is why he took the timeout.

Thanks - it sure looked like a botched play. So glad Portis sealed the game with his run!!

Yeah it looked botched to me as well but he didn't expand on that in the post game. Perhaps he will tomorrow at his noon presser.

It looked like Campbell was expecting the play action to one side and the RB ran to the other.

I also thought there was illegal contact down the field against Thrash but what do I know.

dunno but what about when Jason took a knee in the middle of the game?

I assume rabach snapped it early to catch a guy offsides. But there was no one offsides, so mystery remains.

Don't give Rabach so much credit. It wasn't to catch someone offsides, he just snapped it too soon. He realized he wasn't getting called for holding today so he had to do something to screw up the drive on his own. Seriously, it was just a mistake. He didn't know the snap count or something. It happens.

All I know is whether Campbell expected to go one way and Thrash went a different way or whether Thrash was thrown out of bounds or what the devil happened......it could have caused us the game. The fact that this team continues to roll with all kinds of adversity is a credit to Zorn and his players.

The pass on 3rd down did you see thrash get mauled on the sideline ?

and where campbell took a knee I dont think he was ready for the ball and looked like he just did the smart thing and took a knee

Yeah I remember that 3rd down play and thought wtf. I think Campbell knew something wasn't right because I have never seen a QB do that before.

Yeah I remember that 3rd down play and thought wtf. I think Campbell knew something wasn't right because I have never seen a QB do that before.

The Eagles had good penetration I think it was just a messup and campbell didn't want to do anything crazy ...

I think we're talking two different plays here. The Rabach "illegal snap play" happened in the first half. It was a generally botched play with either the Skins offside on the left side of the line, or the Iggles offside. Either way, you run the play unless you think continuing will cost you a sack and a loss of enough yardage to get you out of FG range. If it's offside on the Skins,you run the play again,. If it's Philly offsides, you have a free play. Kneeling means we didn't lose anything but we didn't attempt to keep the drive alive. I can only speculate why Campbell hit a knee.

The second play: With just under 3 minutes to play in the game, Zorn had a couple of problems with the play on 3rd and 2. Time management for one: if Campbell either takes a knee or just tries to run it (basically anything but an incomplete pass) the clock winds down to 2 minutes, since the Iggles didn't have any timeouts remaining. Secondly, the pass wasn't thrown anywhere near the receiver. In order to get a pass interference penalty the ball has to at least be catchable. Third, there was contact by the defensive player beyond 5 yards, which should also have brought a penalty and a first down. No call was made, so Zorn may have been upset by that. Fourth, since the pass was so far off-target, you may speculate that Campbell was just throwing the ball away to avoid a loss. Smart strategy IF you're in field goal range and IF you're planning a 57 yard field goal. We weren't. What the pass did was help the Iggles by stopping the clock. Surely everyone is coached to stay in bounds, hold onto the ball, avoid incomplete passes: anything to keep the clock moving. Spiking it would have been worse - but not by much.

And my own problem: why are we throwing a high risk, low chance pass to the sidelines when we're trying to run out the clock? Even if they are putting 8 men in the box, what worked on fourth and two should theoretically have worked on 3rd and two, and it had the added advantage of bringing the clock down to the 2 minute mark, instead of stopping it at 2:58 (or 2:48, I forget the exact moment).

Still, I have to admire the gutsy call on 4th and 2. I did not want McNabb to touch the ball again.

Yeah we're still having some mental errors here and there. We're lucky a lot of this stuff doesn't come back to bite us. I think a lot of it has to do with just accepting whatever happens and moving to the next play. Zorn's got these guys thinking about the next step and not the one they just took.

Zorn said in the postgame show something like he sort of "made up" a formation on the fly and tried to make it fit with a certain play call. It didn't really work so he was just mad that everything was screwed up.

You could just tell that it was a blown play. Campbell faked a handoff to the left (I think) and CP ran to the right (I think). It was just ugly execution, and Zorn was angry that it didn't work as well as he'd hoped.

I think Zorn was upset that the Refs have decided to not call holding PI or Holding on any of Philthy's DBs.

On the bright side, isn't it wonderful that Zorn loves to go for the kill shot? And not just something like passing on 3rd to get a First Down when you're trying to kill the clock, but play action Bomb when the team is up by 2.

];5641742']I think Zorn was upset that the Refs have decided to not call holding PI or Holding on any of Philthy's DBs.

On the bright side' date=' isn't it wonderful that Zorn loves to go for the kill shot? And not just something like passing on 3rd to get a First Down when you're trying to kill the clock, but play action Bomb when the team is up by 2.[/quote']

Man, that sig is AWESOME.

The thing I don't get is how the refs botched the illegal contact call. The DB was all over the receiver the whole play 15 yards down the field. The play was botched, but that looked like it was an easy call to make. How did they miss that one??? Oh well, we made up for it the next play. I'm sure Zorn will explain in his press conference tomorrow.

Archived