Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Andy Pollin- Redskin and Portis Hater #1

RedskinNutt

From the "Sports Reporters" on ESPN 980 the day of the Portis/Mitchell phone-off:

Chris Knoche- "He (Portis) is the team's single season rushing record holder."

Andy Pollin- "So what?"

First of all, been a listener to this station ever since it was 570, so I've heard every incarnation of Andy Pollin, from dipstick sidekick to Tony Kornheiser and Mel Kiper, to his current stint on the incorrectly titled "Sports Reporters" with Czaban. Bottom line, I have never seen a bigger Redskin hater on the local airwaves than Andy Pollin.

Now, I don't want a homer like Larry Michael, but I get it Andy, you want to be considered a "maverick" (to use a current term) and not nut hug this team just because the station is owned by Snyder. But still, Pollin's constant railing on the team (and his favorite target, CP) is getting nauseating. This morning he even admitted not being as excited about this win than in other years because he still didn't believe in Zorn. This is the same guy who after the "Monday Night Miracle" in Texas Stadium screamed "Die you dirty dogs Die!" during his post game show. He was up for that win, and that was more unbelievable than impressive, but isn't all that excited about a resounding win over "the best team in the NFL." He mentioned that if this win was under Gibbs ver 2.0, he would've been more excited...what exactly must Zorn do for you?

Last night, Larry mentioned that CP's performance was his 20th 100 yard performance, a new Redskins record. This morning, Andy couldn't wait to ask Larry if the record included playoff games. Larry didn't know, and Andy felt the need to point out (strongly) that the record is suppose to include playoff games, therefore, Riggo still has the record and Larry Brown is actually 2nd.

I'm sorry, since when do we add playoff numbers to regular season records? All the record books and media guides I've ever read make it a point to split the regular season and playoff records. I think they add them together for college, but not the pros. Art caught 106 regular season passes back in 1984, and 10 more in the Bears loss in the playoffs, for a "total" of 116 receptions. The record Art set was for 106 receptions...if that's the case there, it's the case IN ALL INSTANCES. Andy's comments (and he continued for a bit) were just a direct jab at Portis, and it didn't seem necessary.

It's a little thing, but it's a constant shower of hate and disrespect Pollin gives Portis, and I'm not exactly sure why. I understand Riggo is in studio and you get moist for old Redskins, but can't you for once give CP some credit? Sure, his costumes might be silly and he says some off the wall things, but you get a helmet on him, and Portis is gold, so what's the problem?

Sorry for the length, and yes, "if you don't like it, turn the channel." I have, but I would like to hear some post game talk about my team, and unfortunately, Pollin's is on almost every local radio program on 980 it seems.

For post game I got to Comcast Sportsnet for Chick, BMitch, Lavar, and Kelli Johnson. Celebration and locker room interviews > hate.

Yeah I go to those guys too, Chick is the best front man we have locally. Unfortunately, I can't watch them in my car on the way to and from work, so I "rely" on the local station with hopes that it can be somewhat objective and not "homerific" or "haterrific"

Mission Failure there...

Pollen said they would lose by 21 and was calling Snyder last week a little short boy in a candy factory. i hope snyder fires them soon.

Czaben called Portis an average back and said he is no where on the level of a Barbar or Westbrook. And he called Snyder the kid from the movies home alone. Lost and dumb.

I could not believe it.

Sorry for the length, and yes, "if you don't like it, turn the channel." I have, but I would like to hear some post game talk about my team, and unfortunately, Pollin's is on almost every local radio program on 980 it seems.

I hear you bro, i moved back to the metro area from Atlanta and have been disappointed by the local Redskins coverage. Not only is Andy Pollin a hater; he also doesn't know what he's talking about. My 11 y/o nephew, plays youth football, and can give a more accurate football analysis then Pollin. The worst part is that i've heard some fans parroting his non-sense at games and i just shake my head. I listen and watch football shows to hear informed analysis sadly its hard to find. I wish we had a local radio show on par with Pat Kirwan's "Movin' the chains."

:cheers:

cowboys_suck.jpg

I hear you bro, i moved back to the metro area from Atlanta and have been disappointed by the local Redskins coverage. Not only is Andy Pollin a hater; he also doesn't know what he's talking about. My 11 y/o nephew, plays youth football, and can give a more accurate football analysis then Pollin. The worst part is that i've heard some fans parroting his non-sense at games and i just shake my head. I listen and watch football shows to hear informed analysis sadly its hard to find. I wish we had a local radio show on par with Pat Kirwan's "Movin' the chains."

:cheers:

cowboys_suck.jpg

The funny thing is he will bring someone 20 year old memory that is always wrong. In 1993 Joe Gibbs lost to Bugel.

Well, the entire media is back pedaling. Stephen A. Smith, a big mouth on ESPN'S FIRST AND TEN, is making excuses. He basically bashed the Skins all week, saying that the Skins had no chance. Now, he is eating a crow sandwich.

The NFC east is up for grabs. The Skins are the Ken Norton of the division. If you don't keep your guard up, you'll get knocked out. The Cowboys were knocked out. Plain and simple.

The funny thing is he will bring someone 20 year old memory that is always wrong. In 1993 Joe Gibbs lost to Bugel.

He's just a d-bag with tenure it seems, or is willing to work on every show on the station, so Snyder actually saves money by not hiring someone to replace him.

Yeah, no one wants to hear them homer it up, but also, there's no need to prove to us that you'll "keep it real" and speak against your boss' team. Be critical, yes, but also show some common sense. CP broke Riggo's record, it's ok, they won't remove his bust in Canton, nor are they making space for CP's. It's ok to like a current player Andy.

He's tried to be Kornhesier and Beatrice during his time here, and has failed miserably in both regards.

History has a place in the discussion from time to time, but talk about the team now, and the current players. And leave Portis alone...."Portis' pockets are straight!":silly:

Well, the entire media is back pedaling. Stephen A. Smith, a big mouth on ESPN'S FIRST AND TEN, is making excuses. He basically bashed the Skins all week, saying that the Skins had no chance. Now, he is eating a crow sandwich.

The NFC east is up for grabs. The Skins are the Ken Norton of the division. If you don't keep your guard up, you'll get knocked out. The Cowboys were knocked out. Plain and simple.

Good analogy, Howie mentioned the boxing reference too. Nice to see us finally mentioned in the NFC East talks.

There's only one person I can't stand more than Andy, and that's Stephen A. Smith....he represents everything that's wrong in broadcasting.

There is zero doubt that Pollin has had it in for CP right from the beginning.

He was hyping Betts after Betts ran for 100 against the Vikes in the 04 season finale.

I think there are several things going on with him and CP.

First he's bought into the myth that it's easy to find great runningbacks and that the Skins should not have traded Champ Bailey for CP. So he's had an axe to grind with CP being here in the first place.

Second he bought into the myth that CP wasn't a "Joe Gibbs" back. Nevermind the fact that it was JOE GIBBS himself who brought CP here, Pollin is wrong on what a Joe Gibbs back was. He still holds onto the myth of the big power back being the Gibbs back. What exactly was Earnest Byner then? I think Gibbs evolved at the end of his first tenure and saw that he needed more flexibilty from his starting back and not just a bruiser.

Lastly, like alot of old farts (me included in this) we cling to the past too much and are slow to recognize current great players. I believe Andy is having a very tough time with the fact that CP is closing in on Larry Brown's Redskins marks and soon after that, Riggo. In his mind, CP isn't in that class and it pains him that when it's all said and done, CP will own all the team rushing records. He hasn't come out and said this, but I'm sort of building this theory based on what I remember him saying 6 or 7 years ago when Stephen Davis was closing in on Larry Brown and Andy didn't feel Stephen was as good as Larry and thought it was a pity that he would be passed.

People should just remember this when it comes to Pollin and CP. Clinton can run for 2000 yards, have 3 straight 200 yard playoff games and lead the Skins to a Super Bowl title and Andy will still say that it was a mistake to trade for him and that either Betts could have done the same thing or that we could have found another back in the draft to do it.

CP will never win with people like this. Just pay them no attention.

I think the standard is season records only apply to regular seasons to make everything on a 16 game standard, otherwise you'd have great players on teams that didn't make the playoffs overshadowed by mediocre players on teams that make the playoffs.

Accumulation stats over a number of season I believe take into account the playoffs.

Based on this argument, Pollin was right to bring up this issue. I do believe that in terms of number of games with such and such a stat they include postseason from things like Brett Favres consecutive game streak to Emmit Smiths rushing record. In accumulation where # of games doesn't matter they count postseason because the games count (why preseason doesn't count) and you can't throw out what someone did when it counted.

In this scenario, Pollin had the right idea to ask if that included postseason or not. It should include postseason and Portis should still be behind Riggins and Larry Brown. He's said a lot of stuff I don't agree with, but he is in the right here.

Abe Polin is just another example of the pale pasty skin kid who sat on the end of the bench , whose biggest sports fantasy with his limited physicality was to one day be able to rip real athletes for no other reason than being the "Inept" he was and still is.

Abe Polin is just another example of the pale pasty skin kid who sat on the end of the bench , whose biggest sports fantasy with his limited physicality was to one day be able to rip real athletes for no other reason than being the "Inept" he was and still is.

abe or andy?

i thought we were talking about andy ripping CP and being a hater.

In this scenario, Pollin had the right idea to ask if that included postseason or not. It should include postseason and Portis should still be behind Riggins and Larry Brown. He's said a lot of stuff I don't agree with, but he is in the right here.

Actually, my disgust of Pollin forced me to actually do some research, and the result: if Andy goes by the NFL's policy, he is wrong.

Example: Eric Dickerson is 4th in NFL history with 64 career 100 yard games. Those are regular season games since the NFL did not count the 100 yard game he had against the Redskins in 1986 (at RFK where Darrell caught him from behind). I did a count of his regular season 100 yard games (yes, it's a slow day) to verify and it's 64.

Numbers aside, Pollin is a d-bag, we can at least agree on that, can't we?

Actually, my disgust of Pollin forced me to actually do some research, and the result: if Andy goes by the NFL's policy, he is wrong.

Example: Eric Dickerson is 4th in NFL history with 64 career 100 yard games. Those are regular season games since the NFL did not count the 100 yard game he had against the Redskins in 1986 (at RFK where Darrell caught him from behind). I did a count of his regular season 100 yard games (yes, it's a slow day) to verify and it's 64.

Certainly, my good man, we can agree that Pollin is a d-bag.

I think d-bag might be a bit extreme, but I can see how he rubs people the wrong way. He's very opinionated, which you want in a host, but he's also very stubborn. I think the "980" perception of Portis is one of a guy who's aloof to his teammates and isn't willing to do the little things to be successful like practice. There always ripping him for begging out of training camp when Gibbs was here. The throwing the lineman under the bus didn't help either.

Personally, I like hearing Andy on the radio even though I don't always agree with him. He seems to identify better with fans after the Skins lose than when they win. For example last night, I would have thought it was going to be a party-like atmosphere on the show but it SEEMED that they focused on the negatives. Like they should have blown the Cowboys out, stuff like that. They just accomplished something nobody thought they could do!

I give you props for actually having constructive criticism and doing research while not just saying "this guy sucks, he makes fun of Snyder. He should be fired."

I think d-bag might be a bit extreme, but I can see how he rubs people the wrong way. He's very opinionated, which you want in a host, but he's also very stubborn. I think the "980" perception of Portis is one of a guy who's aloof to his teammates and isn't willing to do the little things to be successful like practice. There always ripping him for begging out of training camp when Gibbs was here. The throwing the lineman under the bus didn't help either.

Personally, I like hearing Andy on the radio even though I don't always agree with him. He seems to identify better with fans after the Skins lose than when they win. For example last night, I would have thought it was going to be a party-like atmosphere on the show but it SEEMED that they focused on the negatives. Like they should have blown the Cowboys out, stuff like that. They just accomplished something nobody thought they could do!

I give you props for actually having constructive criticism and doing research while not just saying "this guy sucks, he makes fun of Snyder. He should be fired."

No problem, we shall agree to disagree slightly. Yeah, I try to bring actually hard evidence to my "hating".

Regarding the record, the WaPo mentioned in two different articles that CP's 20th 100 yard game is a new record, so for Andy to suddenly try to qualify this claim by saying playoffs weren't included sounded like a little child who lost fair and square, but needed to add some foolish remark to make himself feel better.

That's like when Redskin haters say "oh Super Bowls 17 and 22 shouldn't be considered major wins because it was during the strike seasons (I've heard that from haters)"...that's just crazy talk, and Pollin isn't too far from that.

He's just a d-bag with tenure it seems, or is willing to work on every show on the station, so Snyder actually saves money by not hiring someone to replace him.

Yeah, no one wants to hear them homer it up, but also, there's no need to prove to us that you'll "keep it real" and speak against your boss' team. Be critical, yes, but also show some common sense. CP broke Riggo's record, it's ok, they won't remove his bust in Canton, nor are they making space for CP's. It's ok to like a current player Andy.

He's tried to be Kornhesier and Beatrice during his time here, and has failed miserably in both regards.

History has a place in the discussion from time to time, but talk about the team now, and the current players. And leave Portis alone...."Portis' pockets are straight!":silly:

The thing i hate about him he is a snake. He kills Gibbs every show. And still does. When Joe came on withduring his retirment presser he said " its a honor to talk to you again. What a peice of crap. At least with Czaben you know he is just an idiot and he does not hide it when talking to guest.

Archived