Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Did Bill O'Reilly make a bigoted slur?

rv581

Originally posted by Tarhog

Pretty stupid remark if he said it....but he could have just as easily been thinking of them as 6th to 8th grade boys (bet OReilly was part juvenile delinquent at that age) rather than 'those inner-city kids are all little thieves'. One comment does not a bigot make. I've said it before, OReilly ain't the sharpest tool in the shed to begin with.

O'reilly has stated on more then one occasion that he was a little touble maker when he was a youth. If he indeed made that statement it was not thought out too well but he is not a bigot.

It seems to me that there are a lot of poeple who just don't like O'Riley. I don't know why, but that is because I don't watch his show, or know what he stands for. It seems to me, that this is a situation where people are just lookin to jump on the guy. Inner city does not mean black. Besides, how many of you have a real trust level with 8th graders? I don't, 8th grade is the age where kids are the biggest pricks.

Originally posted by codeorama

But how can any of you not "see" that that could be mistaken for as a racist comment from an obvious conservative rightwinger?

While, in retrospect, O'Reilly's comment was dumb and ill-advised simply because of the potential for a P.R. sh*t-storm it so created, the remark, in and of itself, was not racist. O'Reilly was making a joke about the boys' ages, the fact that they were juveniles; hence: juvenile delinquency.

That O'Reilly's audience has apparently been so inundated with cheerless, self-loathing, politically correctified "education" that it finds itself regarding such an innocuous comment as racist is not O'Reilly's fault. No, the fault lies with them.

In addition, your response here, code -- essentially arguing that we "should" presume the worst of someone like O'Reilly in a situation like this because he's a conservative -- is interesting. It's interesting because it highlights the fact that there are certain libels and slanders automatically associated with certain ideologies, libels and slanders readily employed by opponents of those ideologies to paint them and their adherents as being unworthy, prima facie, of respect or consideration.

For example, liberals have been tarring and feathering conservatives as "fascists" and "racists" for at least the past three or four decades. Conversely, for many, many years, conservatives have attacked and dismissed liberals as "commies" and "pinkos."

I'm certainly not suggesting here that some conservatives aren't racist (because some of them are) or that some liberals don't firmly hold communist ideas and sympathies (because some of them do). All I'm suggesting is that we try and get past petty, knee-jerk, intellectually lazy responses like "liberalism = Communism" and "conservatism = Nazism."

GlenX, I have no problem saying that I probably worded that wrong... I don't really think that we SHOULD assume that what he said was racist... that's not what I meant. The only point I was really trying to get across is that some people are overly sensative about certain things, I know this because I deal with it so much. I really would not believe that O'Reilly would be dumb enough to purposly say something with racist intentions... However, if he said what he said, and I would concur with you, his intentions would probably be in regards to their age, but I would bet it would not be taken that way by the parents of those children, at least in the situations that I am used to dealing with.

I hear ya, code. I mean, if someone's gettin' their panties in a bunch over the word "shelter," as if that somehow automatically, racistly connotes "poor and black," then they'd better wake up and smell the coffee because there's a whole lotta poor white people who live in homeless shelters across this country, too.

Originally posted by Glenn X

I hear ya, code. I mean, if someone's gettin' their panties in a bunch over the word "shelter," as if that somehow automatically, racistly connotes "poor and black," then they'd better wake up and smell the coffee because there's a whole lotta poor white people who live in homeless shelters across this country, too.

I couldn't agree more... When I hear the word shelter, I'm thinking a picnic area.. I was totally taken aback.

I didn't mean to come across in this thread that I believe that O'Reilly said a racist remark on purpose... Only that if he said what he said, those kids parents MIGHT be offended. IT SHOULDN'T be that way, but sadly it is sometimes.

When CBS' 60 Minutes veteran Mike Wallace once got caught on video during an off-air break suggesting that blacks and Hispanics couldn’t fill out bank applications because they were too busy "eating watermelon and tacos," Wallace never had to apologize for his obviously bigoted comment.

That's because Mike Wallace is a liberal. Double standard, folks...double standard.

Originally posted by Larry Brown #43

When CBS' 60 Minutes veteran Mike Wallace once got caught on video during an off-air break suggesting that blacks and Hispanics couldn’t fill out bank applications because they were too busy "eating watermelon and tacos," Wallace never had to apologize for his obviously bigoted comment.

That's because Mike Wallace is a liberal. Double standard, folks...double standard.

He should have been fired. Period... (if it's true.. not that I'm doubting you, I just had never heard that)

See the bolded section below about Mike Wallace. And let's also remember that former klansman and current democratic West Virginia Senator Robert Byrd once said, “Rather I should die a thousand times and see Old Glory trampled in the dirt never to rise again, than to see this beloved land of ours become degraded by race mongrels, a throwback to the blackest specimen from the wilds,” and that he would never fight in the armed services with a “Negro” by his side. It pays to be a democrat -- it seems to give you a free pass on making bigoted statements.

Sunday, December 22, 2002

Copyright © Las Vegas Review-Journal

LETTER: The liberal hypocrisy on Lott

Democrats should be prepared to clean up their own back yard

To the editor:

For once I'm on board with the Democrats on something -- Senate Majority Leader Trent Lott was correct to step down from his post after his pro-segregationist statement he used as an accolade in commemorating outgoing Sen. Strom Thurmond.

Yes, Sen. Lott may have apologized for his statement -- which he described as "good in heart, but absent of mind" -- but as civil rights leaders such as Jessie Jackson and Al Sharpton have stated in the past, "You can't expect a leopard to change his spots." Translated: Once a racist, always.

But before we break out the tar and feathers, I would like the critics of Sen. Lott to hold Senate Majority Whip Robert Byrd to the same standard regarding his Ku Klux Klan past. While Sen. Byrd did issue an apology last year for invoking the phrase "white ******s" during a nationally televised TV interview, the top Democrat has never expressed much personal contrition for his role as Ku Klux Klan Grand Kleagle in the 1930s. In fact, as recently as nine years ago, Byrd explained that he joined the group that specialized in lynching African-Americans because it "offered excitement."

While we're at it, let's see if the party of "inclusiveness" will even bother to admonish the former "first black president," Bill Clinton, for his glowing remarks about former Arkansas Sen. Fullbright -- a strong advocate of segregation -- whom he called his "mentor."

While former Vice President Al Gore was busy denouncing Sen. Lott's statement, I wonder how he felt knowing that his father, as a senator, was among the 19 Jim Crow Democrats who opposed the civil-rights legislation of the 1960s?

Since the major media have been so righteous in reporting the Lott statement, I still wonder why they never got around to reporting Dan Rather's racist remarks. I am talking about his comments in July 2001. While on the Don Imus show, Mr. Rather slammed CBS news execs for forcing him to report on the Gary Condit story. He said on air, "What happened was they [CBS management] got the willies, they got the Buckwheats. Their knees wobbled and we gave it up."

Of course, the "Buckwheat" term is used to describe a frightened black man. At the time of Mr. Rather's use of the term, NewsMax noted that other public figures had gotten into hot water, even lost their jobs, for using the term.

Not limousine liberal Dan Rather.

Or what about his CBS colleague Mike Wallace? Mr. Wallace once said, with film rolling, that blacks and Hispanics had difficulty filling out loan applications. According to Mr. Wallace, they were simply too busy "eating watermelons and tacos" to learn how to read and write.

The comments made by Mr. Rather and Mr. Wallace are far more insensitive than anything Trent Lott has said. Why have they never been held to account or asked to resign?

I'm not going to defend Trent Lott on this issue; he's neither my senator nor anyone I would consider fit to head the Senate. I say this because he lost my respect when he put aside the U.S. Constitution in favor of public opinion polls, giving then Senate Minority Leader Tom Daschle control of the Senate trial of a certain impeached, felonious president. That turned this historical event into a forgone conclusion -- thus setting a horrible precedent for conduct in the highest executive office of our Republic.

So if racism had to be the reason to remove Sen. Lott as majority leader, so be it. But the Democrats had better be ready to either clean up their own back yard on this issue or just let the liberal hypocrisy continue.

MARK WILSON

HENDERSON

Originally posted by codeorama

GlenX, The only point I was really trying to get across is that some people are overly sensative about certain things.

Here's a topper. ON Hannity's radio show today, he said that South West airlines is being sued for 3 million + by 2 African American women. Apparently a flight attendant came over the loud speaker and said the following" eani meani minei moe pick a seat it's time to go"(excuse the spelling). The 2 women clam that it reminded them of a different version of that children's rhyme. They stated they were mentally anguished and couldn't sleep for days. Talk about a crock of f@cken $hit! :puke: :puke: :puke:

I thought Quesaillas are the rage.

And I prefer Honeydew to watermelons.:rolleyes:

Everyone is a bigot so why front err be disengenuos?

Would I get in trouble if I said white people cant dance, jump thinks Tesh is really a performer or cant maintain a gorgeous tan like mine in the winter months?

No because the joke has remnants of the truth in it and of course blacks supposedly cant be racist.

Now if a white guy said brothers have rhythm, big lips, big hands big feet and ...... you can only guess what the reaction would be.

Everyone steals something or boils rice sooner or later in life .

This guy goes out of his way to help minorities check out his website for the charities he endorses and you see there are more liberal causes he is for than conservative ones.

Now until he uses the N word lets chill

Larry Brown,

Are you attempting to defend words said by Lott by bringing up some of the following.

1. Gore's dad did worse? Now that's a weak arguement and you know it. Different time, different person.

2. A TV personality made a racist remark. OK He should step down from the Democratic Party, oh wait he's not part of the Democrats.

3. Robert Byrd is worse. OK Byrd should step down from his job as the Democratic Senate Leader. Oh wait he doesn't have that job.

This is a total load of crap. Oh look the other guy is worse! Nice excuse.

Originally posted by Larry Brown #43

If a Republican senator had been this intimately involved with the Klan he would be vilified and pressured to resign -- and rightly so. Yet Byrd gets a free pass. Must be nice.

Surely you see the double standard.

didn't David Duke have past ties with the KKK and wasn't he a republican and wasn't his political career destroyed? ?:?

Originally posted by stratoman

didn't David Duke have past ties with the KKK and wasn't he a republican and wasn't his political career destroyed? ?:?

Yeah it was so destroyed he won the GOP nomination for Governor of Louisiana!

Archived