Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Bet on Betts Having a Career Year

Oldfan

As a running back, I give Ladell Betts a C+ grade. As a receiver, he is outstanding for a running back. I give him an A.

On most downs in a Coryell offense, the RB position requires a better runner and a better blocker on protection schemes. Portis fits the scheme better than Ladell. The WCO, however, with mostly shorter drops by the QB and more use of the RB in the pass patterns, fits Ladell's skills very well.

Another factor is that defenses are now having a LB at the LOS read the RB. If he stays in to pass protect, the LB blitzes. When they do this, keeping the RB in only draws another defender on the blitz. So, using the RB as an outlet receiver is the better call.

Also, Jim Zorn has already mentioned the possibility of a package that gets Clinton and Ladell on the field at the same time.

When you put all this together, I think it's likely that Ladell Betts will get more touches than he has in the past and lead the team in combined yardage this year.

if Betts has a "career year" it's because portis got hurt or received less touches. Is that a good thing?

Portis getting injured is not part of my analysis. When we are likely to want a receiver in the pattern, I'd rather have Betts on the field because he's better at it.

I think Portis will get fewer carries this year. This approach would likely extend his career.

When you put all this together, I think it's likely that Ladell Betts will get more touches than he has in the past and lead the team in combined yardage this year.

More touches than in the past? I see an amount more than last year but less than 2006. Portis if playing well can do it all, he can catch as well. Unless Portis gets hurt(God forbid) I don't see Ladell being a huge factor although more touches than last year.

Portis getting injured is not part of my analysis. When we are likely to want a receiver in the pattern, I'd rather have Betts on the field because he's better at it.

I think Portis will get fewer carries this year. This approach would likely extend his career.

I agree with that in general, but Portis is no slouch in terms of catching the ball out of the backfield. This gets him in space as was used fairly effectively last year.

If you were to put this to a bet, you would get almost as many takers as those who jumped on the MassSkins_Fan's bet about the Skins getting less than 4 wins. Barring injury to Portis.

I think this is also what Jim Zorn is banking on also. So does that mean that they're both "interchangable" as Gibbs once stated?

I've always been a Betts fan. I think you are a bit harsh in your grading of him as a C+ runner. He starts half the season and gets 1000 yards. You might say that the OL gets most of the credit but I think Betts should get a higher grade. He didn't do much last year but really didn't get any opportunity. As a runner Betts needs to establish a rythym. The more carries he gets the better he runs.

Zorn has finally admitted that he's going to have a problem with getting all of his playmakers on the field as much as they would like. Cooley doesn't want to ever come off the field. If Zorn is trying to juggle 3 TEs with varying skills and 5 WRs how often do you think we really will see both Portis and Betts in the backfield? Not much IMO - unless they try that formation and it turns out to be wildly successful.

In contrast, I've never been a real Portis fan. I know he does well in pass blocking but he's never been as dominant in running as his contract would suggest. I think (and hope) that Portis was never utilized effectively by Gibbs. If he can revert to the back he was in Denver then everyone will be happy including Betts - I think Portis averaged 20 touches per game with Denver so that should leave at least 11-12 for Betts.

If you were to put this to a bet, you would get almost as many takers as those who jumped on the MassSkins_Fan's bet about the Skins getting less than 4 wins. Barring injury to Portis.

I doubt that, but I don't feel the need to prove anything. If you don't agree with my analysis, tell me why.

it would be great if he did have a career year; however, he has to touch the ball in order to have that and it won't happen.

also, teams won't be putting 8 and 9 in the box against us any more with a west coast offense, so it really doesn't help to have him in over portis at all.

I agree that he'll have a better year than most expect, but I don't think he'll lead the team in yards from scrimmage. We all know that Betts is the better receiver and Portis the better runner, but it's not like we'll just have Betts in on passing downs because they'll be able to key off him and know it's a pass. He may have something like 400 rushing yards and 400 receiving yards, and if he does, that'll be a good year from a backup.

I've always been a Betts fan. I think you are a bit harsh in your grading of him as a C+ runner. He starts half the season and gets 1000 yards. You might say that the OL gets most of the credit but I think Betts should get a higher grade. He didn't do much last year but really didn't get any opportunity. As a runner Betts needs to establish a rythym. The more carries he gets the better he runs.

Zorn has finally admitted that he's going to have a problem with getting all of his playmakers on the field as much as they would like. Cooley doesn't want to ever come off the field. If Zorn is trying to juggle 3 TEs with varying skills and 5 WRs how often do you think we really will see both Portis and Betts in the backfield? Not much IMO - unless they try that formation and it turns out to be wildly successful.

In contrast, I've never been a real Portis fan. I know he does well in pass blocking but he's never been as dominant in running as his contract would suggest. I think (and hope) that Portis was never utilized effectively by Gibbs. If he can revert to the back he was in Denver then everyone will be happy including Betts - I think Portis averaged 20 touches per game with Denver so that should leave at least 11-12 for Betts.

I think that OldFan nailed it when he said that this new "offense" should decimate the wear on Portis' body as he continues to age.

I doubt that, but I don't feel the need to prove anything. If you don't agree with my analysis, tell me why.

I am a big Betts fan, but I just don't think he will get that sizable a chunk of playing time to lead the team in combined yardage. He'll come in for a change of pace, to spell Portis, and sometimes as a 3rd down back. But I think Zorn will use Portis in the mode you envision for Betts. Portis is underrated as a pass catcher, and besides, the types or passes he'll be asked to catch in this offense will be swing passes not much more challenging than glorified laterals.

Portis had more than twice as many catches and receiving yards (47/389) last year as Betts (21/174), and 1262 rushing yards vs. Betts' 335. Even with the new coaching regime, I don't see Betts' role increasing so drastically that he'll lead the team in overall yardage.

I doubt it, Dan. Do you think it's that much of a longshot?

More touches than in the past? I see an amount more than last year but less than 2006. Portis if playing well can do it all, he can catch as well. Unless Portis gets hurt(God forbid) I don't see Ladell being a huge factor although more touches than last year.

You might be right about that. I had forgotten that he got nine starts that year. Seemed to me it was six.

I doubt it, Dan. Do you think it's that much of a longshot?

That Ladell Betts leads the team in combined yardage, barring injury to Portis? Yes, I think that's a longshot. No where near as big a longshot as MSF's silly bet, but a longshot.

I agree with that Dan.I too, believe that C.P. is a better receiver than many give him credit for being. If memory serves, Coach Zorn has implied that C.P. will have an even more active part in the passing offense than he has in the past. And recent comments by C.P. also have implied he will do so,(or at least he believes he will). While I do believe we'll see more from Ladell than we have in the past,(couple of years ago not withstanding), I don't believe he'll equal that season in attempts and yards rushing. Could be we may see a few more receptions, but that's a tough one there. Based on what I said earlier, with C.P. possibly playing a more active role in the passing offense, Ladell could just as easily see his receptions drop. I do believe that with both those guys in there at the same time, it will present some very tough match ups for the defense and of course, some tough decisions to be made by the defenses on what to do about it. Now that could be an interesting time to watch.

I've always been a Betts fan. I think you are a bit harsh in your grading of him as a C+ runner.

Maybe I just grade tougher than you. I dropped Portis from a B+ to a B last year when he fumbled too often.

If Zorn is trying to juggle 3 TEs with varying skills and 5 WRs how often do you think we really will see both Portis and Betts in the backfield?
It depends on how well our rookie receivers do. If they do well, we won't see the Portis and Betts package much.

Archived