Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Best Radio Show

Jino

For the past several years, I been down on sport radio; both locally and nationally. It seems that radio hosts these days focus more on flair and controversy than actual content. (eg. PTI, Stephen A. Smith, Around the Horn, etc...) It's a shame because what sports radio has become is no different that what the National Enquirer is, a channel for gossip and overhyping every event to a pulp, and ultimately overkilling it. Sometimes I wonder how radio hosts like Colin Cowherd or Stephen A. Smith or Larry Michaels are able to hold down their jobs. What are their superiors thinking? What has happened to sports radio? Why can't anyone be likable anymore?

Usually, national shows are supposed to be bad and the local shows programming is supposed to make up for their mediocrity. Not here in DC; we have no personality in our programming. Local radio hosts are supposed to sound like you and your buddies hanging out; talking sports while cracking jokes. Ever listen to Mac, Jurko and Harry in Chicago or Mike and the Mad Dog in NY? Those shows are simply fantastic and I could listen to them all day even though they talk about non-Washington teams. But no, we're stuck w/ Larry who smokes the Redskins crackpipe and has zero sense of humor. Larry is definitely not someone I could hang out with. (I know Larry has been discussed frequently these days, sorry.)

There is one place I've been getting my radio fix though. Lately, I've been listening to Football Today w/ Jeremy Green. It's a daily show which can be downloaded on ESPN and it's the most listenable show out there right now. He doesn't come off as a know-it-all and is actually likable. If you listen to the Monday podcast, he predicts that the Giants will be last in our division and the 'Skins are looking VERY impressive this season. His show is the best to listen to compared all the crap out now and he has guests like Clayton and Jaws which are great for NFL fans.

Anyways, check out his podcasts here: http://sports.espn.go.com/espnradio/podcast/archive?id=2544457

On another note:

FU Colin Cowherd for calling Art Monk a "compiler". Every great player compiles huge stats you turd.

FU Stephen A. Smith for being such an a-hole and using over-aggression to win an arguments. You're oh so over-dramatic brother.

FU Rome for being such a cheeseball who thinks he's cool. Your listeners are simply unbearable to listen to.

FU Larry Michaels - do us a favor and please just leave the Redskins. I know you're probably a nice guy but please leave us.

FU Wilbon and Kornheiser - arguing just for argument's sake is not enjoyable to watch. Especially when you guys really don't give a sh_t about what you're arguing about.

FU Skip Bayless and Woody Paige - you guys are probably the worst of them all.

Sometimes I wonder how radio hosts like Colin Cowherd or Stephen A. Smith or Larry Michaels are able to hold down their jobs.

First of all, Stephen A. and Larry Michael don't have radio shows anymore. Stephen A. is just doing NBA coverage for ESPN, and Larry does the online content for redskins.com.

FU Wilbon and Kornheiser - arguing just for argument's sake is not enjoyable to watch..

Isn't this the premise for the show? Taking topics in sports, and presenting both sides of the argument. It's what guys do everyday at work, in bars, and at the dinner table.

I like Jeremy Green he's really good. I also like GameNight with Freddie Coleman. He tells it like it is. Our local shows are okay but they're no Ken Beatrice

"You're next on Sports Call!" True, Ken was one of a kind. He was probably the best sports radio personality in DC. If there ever was a time we needed him, it is now. I remember friends of other cities were so jealous of me because I got to listen to him every night. Remember his Arby's spots? Ah.. the memories...

FU Colin Cowherd for calling Art Monk a "compiler". Every great player compiles huge stats you turd.

That's something which has always mystified me. If you are a great player, you accumulate numbers. Art had more "numbers" than a lot of WR's in his time. Why is this such a bad thing? Because he didn't go out of his way to pimp himself to the media?

I like Jeremy Green he's really good. I also like GameNight with Freddie Coleman.

I enjoy his show, too. Unfortunately, I'm not in my car at the right times to catch him solo.

Isn't this the premise for the show? Taking topics in sports, and presenting both sides of the argument. It's what guys do everyday at work, in bars, and at the dinner table.

Some things in sports aren't debatable. PTI attempts to debate even the most inconsequential points. It's hard to believe that Kornheiser and Wilbon disagree on all those issues. Therefore, it leads me to believe that the majority of the show is scripted and the two don't even really believe their own arguments.

Furthermore, listening to Wilbon argue makes me want to cut off my ears. He's too emphatic and loud. After watching their show, I'm drained and it feels like I had an argument with my wife.

I respect some of the points you make, but I don't share the same sentiment about Wilbon and Kornheiser.

W & K both earned their stripes in print and are still good writers. They are journalists first, not radio or tv personalities.

Both are well educated and well spoken and both usually stick up for DC sports in general, on a national stage, when most of their colleagues could care less about DC sports.

Also they don't normally use the trite 'meat-head local sports guy' approach, all homer and no fact. Nor do they use the 'mightier than national tv guy' attitude where they could care less about DC, either. I find it easier for myself to relate to both W & K and their views, than I do with Steven A. or Boom or any of the national, big tv and radio people.

I don't follow W & K PTI show on tv and I don't listen to them on radio, but I still think they are good media guys and good journalists.

Some things in sports aren't debatable. PTI attempts to debate even the most inconsequential points. It's hard to believe that Kornheiser and Wilbon disagree on all those issues. Therefore, it leads me to believe that the majority of the show is scripted and the two don't even really believe their own arguments.

Of course the show is scripted a certain way! It's a TV program... entertainment. The entire premise for the show is built around playing devil's advocate for every point.

There would be no PTI if they agreed on every topic -- there wouldn't be a need.

FU Stephen A. Smith for being such an a-hole and using over-aggression to win an arguments. You're oh so over-dramatic brother.

FU Rome for being such a cheeseball who thinks he's cool. Your listeners are simply unbearable to listen to.

FU Wilbon and Kornheiser - arguing just for argument's sake is not enjoyable to watch. Especially when you guys really don't give a sh_t about what you're arguing about.

FU Skip Bayless and Woody Paige - you guys are probably the worst of them all.

Haven't heard Larry, ever. After all the bad things I've heard you guys say about him, I don't listen to anything but interviews he does.

Wilbon and Kornheiser were good before they became famous.

I actually like Cowherd, most of the time, unless he's being ridiculously unreasonable, but honestly he makes some good points. Not that I agree with all of them, but.....

For the rest I say "AAAAAAAAAAMEN!" Especially Woody Paige and Stephen A. Smith. Howeeeeva.....

I respect some of the points you make, but I don't share the same sentiment about Wilbon and Kornheiser.

W & K both earned their stripes in print and are still good writers. They are journalists first, not radio or tv personalities.

I don't follow W & K PTI show on tv and I don't listen to them on radio, but I still think they are good media guys and good journalists.

I love Kornheiser and Wilbon as writers. I grew up reading them in the Post. I enjoyed Tony's shows several years back. Wilbon, as a guest on the show, was enjoyable too. I also support him on MNF.

It's when those two appear on PTI, they become unbearable. It's more of a platform for gossip and speculation and often unrelated to sports. A-Rod and Madonna rumours... WTF? Am I a 14 year old girl watching the E! channel?

Listening to Cowherd makes me want to stick needles in my eyes.

Smith is a carnival barker. Clown.

Rome is funny but way too ego-driven for me. Jerk.

Larry Michaels is getting better with time. At least he stays humble and tries to be a pro.

Kornheiser is a gimmick and I like him for knowing that. He's not trying to sell himself on sports knowledge like other tools.

Wilbon is still not back in my good graces for trashing Sean Taylor right after his death but I won't knock his skills. He's not a Redskin fan though. He likes the Bears so why does he get so much work here in DC?

Living in Baltimore I the Redskins stations on most days come in too fuzzy to listen too.

I'm usually stuck listening to WNST here in Baltimore. Drew Forrester in the mornings is pretty good. He certainly has NO love for the Redskins and cracks on them every chance he can get, but I like to listen to sports before I get to work in the morning and they certainly feed that addiction.

I really like the Rob Long show in the afternoons. Rob is a very fair guy. He knows a wide variety of sports, and has extreme logic behind all of his arguemnts.

As matter of fact the other day the main topic of coversation was "Why Baltimore fans hate D.C.", which I personally always wondered myself, but the debate went on for about an hour and alot of people called in and told their stories. Interesting none the less.

You try hosting your own radio show and never talk about any controversy or talk nothing about sports 100% of the time. These guys have a lot of air time to fill and I like the variety of topics.

Czaban is irrational and reactionary (like a lot of us) when it comes to the Redskins but I can overlook this. His show on Fox Sports Radio every morning is my personal favorite.

And for the 1,259,436th time, there is no "s" in Larry Michael. :doh:

You try hosting your own radio show and never talk about any controversy or talk nothing about sports 100% of the time. These guys have a lot of air time to fill and I like the variety of topics.

I don't mind Tony at all. He reminds me of my father who has this old guys' humor kind of admitting he's unhip and goes to bed at like 8 pm. I guess what irks me about PTI is Wilbon and his "know-it-all" style coupled with his confrontational and serious manner and his loud debating voice. I don't like media people trying to act like badasses when they're not.

Non-sports topics are OK with me. However, Wilbon's confrontational style when debating these non-events is a huge turnoff for me. He gives me a headache more than anything.

Jino- I hear what you are saying. Kind of like the guys on Sports Center who think people tune in to see them and not the sports news and highlights.

The sad part is that we all have to go back to these shows because we have no choice. :mad:

Archived