Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Art Monk story from Sporting News

GlennBrenner

The story below is taken from the following article (blog actually) in Sporting News:

A Pat On The Back From An Eagles Fan To Two 'Skins

Art Monk goes down as one of the best wide receivers I ever watched play the game. He never did a celebration dance that people tried to emulate and was not the deep threat that made acrobatic catches that would be a SportsCenter staple. Instead he consistently found ways to get open, make catches, and give the offense a new set of downs. I could list off the many accomplishments on his NFL resume - first receiver to reach 900 career receptions, first to have a 100+ reception season, etc. - but you can read about that on your own anytime. Instead, I want to share a story that kind of sums up the reason I have so much respect for Art Monk:

Monk was known for being one of the quiet guys on the Redskins team, rarely saying much to the press, not to be arrogant, but because bragging was simply not his style. After one of the 'Skins heart-wrenching losses in which placekicker Mark Moseley missed a kick that would have won the game, the press surrounded a visably distraught Moseley in the locker room, berating him with questions about the miss. Monk saw that Moseley was struggling and made the statement to the group of reporters that he would speak to them if they came over his way. Jumping at the chance, the reporters left Moseley's locker area and went to Monk's. Monk spoke long enough to allow the kicker to get dressed and slip out of the room before concluding his interview. Needless to say, this was a very classy move and I wonder how many players in the NFL would have the presence of mind (or the desire) to do something like that.

Thought it was a great story about Art, and one that I hadn't heard before. Real classy move on his part.

Nicely said.

I love how one of the knocks on him was "he didn't make acrobatic highlight catches."

You know why? Because he was in the right spot every damn time.

I also like "we never gameplanned for him."

Well, he just caught 8 passes for 90 yards and a touchdown on you, so maybe you should have moron!

The Redskins were always classy under coach Joe. Monk was the president of the class. It's why we love character guys on this team. It's one reason we hate Dallas so much.

Contrast Emmitt Smith who said upon going to Arizona that he was a "diamond amongst trash" when he left Dallas. Not that I disagree, it's just that he shouldn't have said it out loud.

Nicely said.

I love how one of the knocks on him was "he didn't make acrobatic highlight catches."

You know why? Because he was in the right spot every damn time.

I also like "we never gameplanned for him."

Well, he just caught 8 passes for 90 yards and a touchdown on you, so maybe you should have moron!

Fantastic post - I especially liked the one about 8 passes/90 yds/TD.

Monk was a class guy on and off the field. He still appears to be one.

One question for you all - do you think Art Monk looks back and regrets leaving the Redskins?

The Redskins were always classy under coach Joe. Monk was the president of the class. It's why we love character guys on this team. It's one reason we hate Dallas so much.

I feel the same way. Nothing but class on our team, and nothing but asses on the Cowturds.

Just another reason why Monk is and will still be my favorite athlete ever.

Fantastic post - I especially liked the one about 8 passes/90 yds/TD.

Monk was a class guy on and off the field. He still appears to be one.

One question for you all - do you think Art Monk looks back and regrets leaving the Redskins?

Art doesn't appear to be one that has regrets. Just my :2cents: though.

I have an Art Monk story. I was in a Ross (dress for less) store in Fair Lakes ten years ago when Art and his wife walked in the store. The cashiers stopped, everybody stopped shopping and positioned themselves for a look at Art and his wife who were smiling with wide eyes that showed they weren't expecting a reception like that. The whole store just stopped. I think people clapped too, but it was amazing the reaction people had to him in public. I don't think the President of the United States would have gotten a reaction like that. Amazing.

Archived