Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Tactical nuclear warheads

stratoman

If push came to shove would we use these?

here is some info on these:

U.S. tactical nuclear warheads are the B-61 and B-83 bombs, which contain a portion of the destructive capacity of strategic nuclear weapons once they are dropped from bombers or other fighter aircraft.

There are approximately 1,670 B-61s and B-83s, also called "mini-nukes," in the U.S. nuclear arsenal. This includes the approximately 150 to 200 land-based, sub-strategic nuclear bombs stockpiled at eight bases in Europe.

First B-61 bomb deployed: 1967

B-61 modified versions: B61-3, B61-4, B61-7, B61-10, B61-11 (as of 2002)

Dimensions: 11.8 feet long, 13.4 inches in diameter, 23 inches in tail span

Weight: Approximately 700 pounds maximum (earth-penetrating version, B61-11, weighs an additional 450 pounds)

Number stockpiled: approximately 350

Explosive yield: 300 to 30,000 tons of TNT for all B-61 models in use. B61-11 is categorized as "single yield" or "low-yield"

Delivery method: B-2 Spirit bomber or F-16 Falcon fighter jet

Number of deployed: 350 B-61s

Tactical nuclear warheads could be used to penetrate deep and hard targets such as bunkers and the B61-11 has limited earth-penetrating capability. When dropped from an altitude of 40,000 feet, it penetrates only roughly 20 feet into the soil. The Bulletin of Atomic Scientists says the B61-11 cannot penetrate deeply enough to contain a atomic explosion and subsequent radioactive fallout, which the group says would cause thousands of casualties. The B61-11 would be used in an urban environment.

First B-83 deployed: 1984

Dimensions: 12 feet long, 11 inches diameter, 35 inches in tail span

Weight: 2,399 pounds

Number stockpiled: approximately 650

Yield: One to two megatons (one megaton is equivalent to a million tons of TNT) Delivery method: B-2 Spirit, B-52H Stratofortress, or B-1B Lancer bombers

This weapon has a variable-yield feature, as does the B-61, which means the explosive power or yield can be adjusted. When used for strategic purposes, the B-83 has a high-yield with a low-level "laydown" capability, meaning it has a delayed blast of up to 120 seconds so the aircraft dropping it can do so from a low altitude and still have time to escape the blast. It was designed specifically for use against hardened targets. At high-yield, the B-83 is said to be 100 times more powerful than the "Little Boy," the atomic bomb dropped on Hiroshima in 1945. The B-83 is in the process of being replaced by B61-11.

Hmmmm....we've invaded Iraq against the wishes of most of the world because our leaders are convinced that Saddam Heussein might have a cache of weapons of mass destruction that U.N. inspectors have been unable to find. So we're going to consider using weapons of mass destruction in order to win the war?

Sort of along the lines of "We had to destroy the village to save it", no?

The next use of those things, by anybody, anywhere, will open the door to the abyss.

That door will eventually open. Of that I have no doubt. But it better not be us, not now, not when we have overwhelming superiority against a foe even counting his use of chemical weapons. If the bar is that low...there are lesser powers with the bomb who will welcome us making it legitimate.

We use nukes of any sort on this war and I will personally lead the drive to impeach. GWB has more on the ball than that, and if he doesn't, I don't see those around him as atomic cowboys.

I'll say it a third time...we AINT going to use nukes, tactical or otherwise, unless they are used on us. Bush may be aggressive but I believe he is essentially cautious (look at his measured response to 9/11 and the lengthy buildup prior to this campaign as evidence). Despite his rep, he's no fool. And we can devastate anyone we need to in a retaliatory manner with conventional weapons. No nuke response except in response to a nuke. No way.

I just wanted to add my no. I really hope not. Bush may be somewhat frightening in this aspect though. He has kept it on the table and he may be just stubborn enough to take the attitude of making the wrong choice between pulling out/defeat and winning at all costs if it came to that. That precedent could end the world. That's why all the countries who've had WMD over the last forty years, none of them have used them.

Originally posted by Burgold

I just wanted to add my no. I really hope not. Bush may be somewhat frightening in this aspect though. He has kept it on the table and he may be just stubborn enough to take the attitude of making the wrong choice between pulling out/defeat and winning at all costs if it came to that. That precedent could end the world. That's why all the countries who've had WMD over the last forty years, none of them have used them.

Except for Iraq you mean?

No US President would ever 'take off the table' the use of Nukes. They are the ultimate deterrent and to give up that deterrent effect by acknowledging we wouldn't use them under any circumstances would not only be foolish, it could cost more American lives and embolden outlaw regimes like N. Korea to act more recklessly. Bush is no more frightening than JFK was (the JFK who almost chose the 2nd use of nuclear weapons), but I've yet to hear any lengthy discussion about that 'madman' JFK.

Archived