Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Jason Garrett vs Jim Zorn

Thinking Skins

As a QB:

Zorn is one of the Seahawks all time greats (called one of the greatest left handers all time), Garrett was a Dallas backup for years who eventually went on to other teams like NY, TB and Miami, but not a stellar career

Advantage: if stellar play at QB has anything to do with playcalling, then the advantage goes to Jim Zorn.

You can't base it off playing career. Infact backup QBs tend to make better coaches because of how they have to prepare themselves to play, as well as help the starter prepare. Gary Kubiak spent his entire playing career backing up Elway and now he's HC of the Texans. Sean Payton was actually a replacement player in '87 for Bears at QB. He was awful as a player, but he's a heck of a playcaller.

You can't base it off playing career. Infact backup QBs tend to make better coaches because of how they have to prepare themselves to play, as well as help the starter prepare. Gary Kubiak spent his entire playing career backing up Elway and now he's HC of the Texans. Sean Payton was actually a replacement player in '87 for Bears at QB. He was awful as a player, but he's a heck of a playcaller.

I don't put as much credit into the whole backup thing. I think its all about who you learned under.

Jason Garrett has and will always have Norv Turner on his resume, and Norv's probably somebody who will vouch for him as a smart guy who's a hard worker who comands discipline, etc. etc. That probably goes a long way.

Similarly, Andy Reid, Jim Zorn and all these west coast coaches have the thing that they come from successful coaching trees, so they have generally been taught the same principles of success.

Sean Payton comes from the Bill Parcell coaching tree - another one which has historically been producing pretty good results.

Kubiak was in Denver, after not getting much interest for about 10 years, and finally got offered the job in Houston.

I honestly think this whole hiring a head coach thing is less about who is more qualified for the job and more about who does the owner/GM have a man-crush on right now. Because the Cowboys were a hot team for most of the 90s, Jason Garrett probably is a guy that stayed on people's mind and that probably progressed his career, especially when Norv was about to be hired in Dallas and wanted Garrett as the OC or QB coach. Then they went ahead and hired Garrett without Norv. Kinda the same way we did with Jim Fassell and Jim Zorn.

]']More than anything else' date=' I hope Zorn hasn't come on too late for the development of Campbell. If he's going to develop our QB the way he developed Hasselback, then he needs to have someone he can mold, not someone who has already been molded by several different coaches and schemes already.[/quote']

Yeah, I hope JC doesn't have to 'unlearn' a lot of stuff that Bill Lazor taught him. The good thing though is that Lazor was hired in Seattle, so maybe they have similar teaching styles. I know Zorn has been praising JC for some of his basics and talking about things he needs to improve, hopefully that means that Lazor had him headed in the right direction.

Then they went ahead and hired Garrett without Norv. Kinda the same way we did with Jim Fassell and Jim Zorn.

Exactly the same thing.

And Garrett stumbled upon Romo sits to pee, Whitten, Owens which is somewhat of an upgrade from Harrington, McMichael, and Chambers who he was so prolific with in Miami. 29th out of 32 teams in 2006. Basically Garrett is in the right place at the right time and can design plays that work with a Top 5 QB, a Top 5 TE, and a Top 5 WR. Wow, he's a great coach like Norv was. :2cents:

JZ comparison to Andy Reid would be the one that makes more sense to me. Plus both are from the same coaching style of football Bill Walsh and Mike Holmgren. Garrett also inherited a Bill Parcels built team and what would be the percentage of Garrett having so much success if this was not the case. Coaches are the mechanics and the players are the tools that make it work.

Even if Garrett was a mentor to Aikmen during the Norv Turner time in Dallas really does not prove anything. That’s one quarter back that had success in or around Garrett. Zorn has more experience being on the sideline as a player and as a mentor to quarterbacks. The years spent in Seattle under Holmgren will only enhance Zorn to be a good head coach.

All this brings up a good point. But Garrett is still a offensive coordinator and does not have the ultimate decision as a head coach would. So right now this does not hold water. It does though have an interesting analysis on both of there back grounds. But we really don’t know what Zorn is going to be like as a head coach in the toughest division in football.

JZ comparison to Andy Reid would be the one that makes more sense to me. Plus both are from the same coaching style of football Bill Walsh and Mike Holmgren. Garrett also inherited a Bill Parcels built team and what would be the percentage of Garrett having so much success if this was not the case. Coaches are the mechanics and the players are the tools that make it work.

The thing about the Zorn hire that makes it different than the Reid hire is that Reid took over a 3-13 team while Zorn is taking over a 9-7 playoff team. Thats a much different level of talent that the guys have coming in. Reid was expected to be able to build a QB, RB, WRs and an entire defense to get them to excel. Zorn already has key positions in place in his first year. So if he has a comparable first season to Reid (5-11), I think many Redskins fans will be quite disappointed.

One question in my mind is how can guys like Jim Caldwell and Russ Grimm are/were such hot coaching candidates although neither of them have been more than position coaches. Caldwell has been named as the successor to Dungy in Indy. I wonder if he will face this kind of questions. And maybe Russ Grimm should take a lesson from Andy Reid and become a QB coach so that he can get on the hot track to being a head coach.

Archived