Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I need computer help- Problem solved..I think

ljs

OK, here is the situation. I have an Acer laptop purchased 14 months ago. It has the Vista operating system. I have never had any issues with this computer, I only do basic internet stuff, no games or anything fancy.

Last night I was using it strictly from battery and at the point I had 10 minutes of battery power left, I plugged it into the power cord to recharge. I shut it off.

A few minutes later I decided to move it from one room in my house to another. I went to unplug the power cord from the surge protector and it literally shocked me. I must have touched the prongs on the power cord as I was pulling it out.

Well now my computer won't turn on and it doesn't even show as charging. There should be an orange light that comes on when the computer is charging. No light.

I am at a loss as to what is wrong. I don't know if me being shocked is related or just a coincidence.

Any help or suggestions are much appreciated. And I'm almost positive it's not under warranty anymore.

Yes.

I plugged it into an outlet that I know works. No orange light to indicate power. Took the battery out, same thing. Put the battery back in, still no power. I did this a couple times before giving up.

If you take the battery out of the laptop and plug in your AC and it still won't turn on, you may have a bad motherboard.

that really really sucks. then I'm screwed, might as well buy a new computer??

Would there be any chance that it was a bad outlet in my house that caused it?

Do you have a warranty of any type?

Something similar happened to me with an external hard drive and the hard drive's adapter input was fried.

I had the standard one year from ACER. My dad bought it as a present last year. I'll double check the receipt, I actually still have it. But I'm 99.9% positive the year is up.

For future reference, Acer does not make a good product. A short in your power chord could've sent a spike through your motherboard causing it to go dead. The spike could've been initiated from your wall outlet or through the adapter itself.

People will say mac of course. I have a Toshiba where the only problems seem to be Vista related, like anyone with an HP or Dell would experience as well. IBM/Lenovo makes a great laptop too.

I'd actually go with Lenovo, Toshiba, or HP over Dell.

People will say mac of course. I have a Toshiba where the only problems seem to be Vista related, like anyone with an HP or Dell would experience as well. IBM/Lenovo makes a great laptop too.

I'd actually go with Lenovo, Toshiba, or HP over Dell.

I hate Mac's... HP would be on top of my list as well. I dont like dell.

I don't like Compaq either, my mom had one of their desktops and it sucked. In '98 I bought a refirbished HP desktop off an old acution website, egghead.com. I basically got a $3000 computer for $600. I finally replaced it in 2004, and gave it a friend so her lil kid had a computer. She had it for another year before it finally quite working.

Thanks again for your help. Looks like I'll be computer shopping.

I think I figured out the issue, and it's not my computer. My dad had the same issue and it was only his power cord. I recall taking my computer off the charge and I thought it was odd that I only had 50% battery left, I should have had 100%. Well, I know the battery is dead, and if the power cord is bad, no wonder I can't turn it on. My dad thankfully has an extra cord that is compatable with mine. Should know in a couple days if this really is the issue. I'm praying.

Archived