Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Top 3 things about your country you don't like

Koolblue13

Unconstitutionalism/Federalism. Why is it that the Federal Government can't keep its nose out of where it doesn't belong? for example, the constitution specifically reserves the responsibility of education on the state, yet now we have the federal Department of Education to mandate to states what they must do. Why can the government hold funding over a state's head in order to force it to enact legislation when all funds the government receives are from the states themselves (which brings me back to #2, why can't I drink, damn it! :mad: )?

I think that some of this, especially in terms of education, was an unfortunate side effect that came out of the things necessitated by the civil rights movement. That was a special situation where states rights needed to be overridden due to the injustice some states refused to address. As tends to be the case, unfortunately, once they had taken the power, the federalis weren't going to give it back. That's the thing about central government. Over time, funding and power only grows, it never shrinks, despite the posturing, show me a politician who has truly and genuinely given up money or power. It just doesn't happen.

Archived