Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Help needed for NY trip.

Kilmer17

Heading to NYC this Thursday. Arrive at 230 at JFK. Staying in Times Square.

Need to know a few things.

1- How to get from airport to hotel. Millenium Broadway.

2- How do I get that double decker bus thing that lets you get on and off as often as you like?

3- Anything you reccommend doing/seeing?

2- How do I get that double decker bus thing that lets you get on and off as often as you like?

There are a couple of great restaurants in that area that I would recommend. One is called Carmines (Italian family style restaurant) with AMAZING food (go for dinner and take friends). The other is called Carnegie Deli which is great for hot dogs and cheesecake (also, take friends)

I always avoid JFK (Newark or LaGuardia FTW), but you could take the Airtrain to the LIRR to Penn Station, and either walk a few blocks north, or take the subway uptown one stop.

Not so good at planning I see.

Does your hotel offer an airport shuttle ?

Your hotel will have all the tourist info...If not go into another hotel and get it.

What are you interested in ? I thought going to see the Statue of Liberty was cool. Maybe you just want to go to the Apollo. Are you going with the family ? etc. I hear the Hawaiian Tropic zone is good times. http://www.thetropiczone.com/

Tons of stuff to do. Just be a little more specific.

Specifics.

Flying Jet Blue into JFK at 230 on Thurs.

Priceline has an airport shuttle offer for 20 bucks per person to my hotel.

Can I take the subway?

We've got dinners covered as well as shows. We're just lookign for daytime activities for Friday. Someone mentioned this bus thing. I cant figure it out though.

Hey, one very real suggestion for you is to go to Yankee Stadium.

I am in no way a Yankees fan, but I've been to the stadium a few times and you definitely get a feeling of history there. Even if you arent a baseball fan.

Plus, they are tearing it down soon, and this is the last year they are playing there.

yeah, Yankee stadium is pretty cool. Still find it odd that they have a portion of the stands unseated. That area in general is pretty cool. There is a nice little bar across the street that is packed on game day and lots of little cool spots around there.

Specifics.

Flying Jet Blue into JFK at 230 on Thurs.

Priceline has an airport shuttle offer for 20 bucks per person to my hotel.

Can I take the subway?

We've got dinners covered as well as shows. We're just lookign for daytime activities for Friday. Someone mentioned this bus thing. I cant figure it out though.

You can take the AirTrain to the subway, but it'd be quicker to take the AirTrain and hop on an LIRR train.

yeah, Yankee stadium is pretty cool. Still find it odd that they have a portion of the stands unseated.

I'm pretty sure they used to have seats there, but then they painted them black so the hitters could see the ball easier. A lot of stadiums now try to keep fans out of that area which is right behind the pitcher from the hitters perspective for the same reason.

Hey, one very real suggestion for you is to go to Yankee Stadium.

I am in no way a Yankees fan, but I've been to the stadium a few times and you definitely get a feeling of history there. Even if you arent a baseball fan.

Plus, they are tearing it down soon, and this is the last year they are playing there.

Yanks are on the road this weekend, so unless you want to drive past a construction site, I would plan something else.....

It seems that at least once a year I post this for people going to NY. My cousin John put it together for a friend of mine going to NY for the first time a few years back. He's just like me, and loves to eat.

Can't help ya out with the tour busses. You might want to print this out and take it with ya.

Here we go:

First off the streets run east and west and the avenues run north and south. It’s basically a big grid until you get downtown below 14th st and there’s no rhyme or reason to how they run.

Steakhouses-

DelFrisco’s-6th Ave and 48th St in the bottom of the McGraw Hill Building- I’m in this building every Tuesday and my mouth waters for this place. Upscale.

Sparks Steakhouse-E46th St between 2nd and 3rd Ave- Where Paul Castellano was wacked by Sammy the Bull. Also a good steak and upscale.

Ben Benson’s-W52nd between 6th and 7th- Also good, everything totally a la carte. If you want a sprig of parsley on your steak you have to order it. It’s a steak on a white plate. They may even charge you by the ice cube here. If you can overlook that, it’s an excellent steak. Come to think of it most of the steak places will be a la carte but this kinda stands out.

Smith & Wollensky-3rd Ave at 49th St.- Been here many times, always good and consistent. This is one place where you may get away with no reservation but you’ll have to wait a few minutes.

Bobby Vans-Park Ave and 46th St.- AWESOME, no other way to describe my meals here. It is definitely the largest steak of the choices that I’m listing. Upscale.

The Palm- 2nd Ave between 44th and 45th- There’s actually two Palm’s right across the street from each other. For my money I like the Palm Too on the east side of the street. It could be my favorite. They also have a fixed price lunch if you’re into steak for lunch which is a great value for what you get.

Delmonico’s- If you happen stroll downtown in the financial district this is a good steak place down there. It’s on Beaver between Broad St and William.

If someone told me we were going for steak tonight and it was my choice I’m either going to Bobby Vans, The Palm Too, or DelFrisco’s. The rest are great too.

You also have the national chains like Ruth Chris W51st between 6th and 7th and Mortons 5th Ave between 44th and 45th. But you can get those anywhere.

Italian: I could really go crazy here.

Carmines-W44th between Broadway and 8th, right near times square. GREAT place, HUGE family style portions, delicious food, great prices. VERY tough to get into, you’ll have to book in advance if you want this.

Pescatore-2nd Ave and 51st St- Kind of a combo between Italian and seafood. Very good, I’ve been five times or more. We love it and the prices are fair.

Scopa-Madison Ave between 28th and 29th-I have been going to this place for a few months mainly after work for drinks and I finally ate there a few weeks ago. Awesome meal. You need to know that this place is loud. The music gets pumping and will get louder as the night goes on. Don’t remember the prices but remember the awesome meal. I will definitely go back here to eat.

Trattoria Trecolori-45th St between 6th and Broadway. An all time favorite of mine. We go here whenever we go to the theater which is not too often now with kids. Good food, good, attentive, friendly service and staff and great prices. One of the best values in the city in my opinion. I’ve been here numerous times, as well as my parents and Kelly’s parents and several other relatives. Always good.

If you want to go down to Little Italy you’ll get some great stuff down there as well. Here’s the deal. First off take a cab because you’ll go nuts figuring out the streets down there and there’s always cabs to come home as well so don’t worry. If you ever get into a situation where you’re waiting outside a restaurant for cab and it’s been a awhile go back in tell them you dined there and it’s been a half hour can you call me a cab. I’ve only had to do that once ever. Here are my selections-

Il Cortile-125 Mulberry between Hester and Canal- Always crowded and you may have to wait even with a reservation. Here’s how you handle that. The guy to see there is Jack, tall guy dark hair between 45 and 50, he runs the show. I usually slip him a $10 and I’m seated in 5 to 10 minutes. Later that $10 usually shows up in the way of an after dinner drink from Jack. Around the holidays depending how crowded it is you may have to up it to a $20. You may catch a celeb in here as a lot of them dine in here. Dress is dockers and a collared shirt, which by the way for dinner at the steak places is probably the same. Just look neat, no jeans and t-shirts ect. This is our favorite, I love it but we haven’t been in awhile since they took our favorite appetizer off the menu. Out own little boycott.

Less fancy just north of there is Paesano’s at 136 Mulberry between Hester and Grand. Good stuff here, good prices. The owner Joey usually comes to the table to say hello and check if everything was ok.

For a fun and real casual place I love Puglia-189 Hester between Mulberry and Mott. Most nights they have a guy playing music (call ahead to make sure) Italian tunes, oldies, favorites, ect, then he passes around his hat and you throw him a buck or two. They have big long tables where people all sit together and sing and drink sangria or whatever and have fun. It’s a fun place when the music is going. Awesome, traditional Italian homemade food, very plentiful with great prices.

There’s also Angelo’s- 146 Mulberry between Grand and Hester- The last time we were here we believe it was the night Bryan came into existence. Not sure if it was the food or the drinks later on. Probably the latter but anyway it’s good. Elton John claims it’s his favorite. Personally I’d try the others first before I hit this, but it is good.

If you’re gonna be in that area then you absolutely must with no exceptions hit Ferrara’s for pastries. 195 Grand between Mulberry and Mott. It’s the freshest and the best. Bring it back to the hotel if you have to. It’s a NY and Little Italy icon. I’m thinking they’re there over 100 years.

Pizza- I’m partial to Ray’s. There’s Famous Ray’s, Original Ray’s, anything with Ray’s is good. They are all over the city.

7th Ave b 48th and 49th

8th Ave b 43rd and 44th

Prince b Mott and Elizabeth

6th Ave b 16th and 17th

8th Ave b 51st and 52nd

3rd Ave b 43rd and 44th

Just ask someone where the closest Ray’s Pizza is and there should be one fairly close by.

You also have John’s close to times square on 44th b 7th and 8th, that’s good too.

Mexican: One of my favorite places in the city is Rosa Mexicano-W62nd St and Columbus Ave. You will definitely need a reservation and may have to call a day or two in advance. Try to sit upstairs if you could. I never ate guacamole until I had it here and now I love it, and here is the BEST. They come right to your table and cut open the avecados and scoop em out and put all this good stuff in there and make it right in front of you. It’s so delicious. A little pricey for Mexican but a lot of good dishes and worth it.

Dos Caminos-Park Ave South and 26th st- A little trendy, dark inside with a lot of candles. Excellent food and they do the guac just like Rosa. I’d try Rosa first and if you can’t get in go here.

Seafood-

The Blue Fin-47th St and Broadway, right in times square at the W Hotel. Great place, good sushi and seafood dishes, very nice. I fell up the stairs here once but I think that was too many Heinekens. Anyway real good for seafood.

City Lobster- 49th St between 6th and 7th. Also good.

Manhattan Ocean Club-58th between 5th and 6th- Upscale, big on presentation, always rated the best if not one of the best for seafood. You’ll pay here. The portions are pretty good considering what this place is.

A little of everything-

Mustang Harry’s- 7th Ave between 29th and 30th- I’ve been going here for years, one of my clients is a part owner. There’s something for everyone and it’s all good. Big place with a lot of TV’s, good place to catch a game as well. Right down from the Garden. (Madison Square Garden) If there’s an event at the Garden forget this, line out the door.

Houston’s-53rd St and Lexington in the Citigroup building-Real nice for a restaurant chain and something for everybody usually.

O’Neill’s-3rd Ave between 45th and 46th- Another favorite, I used to work right next door. Could be a good lunch spot. Basically pub food but good pub food. Good burgers and good Guiness if you’re into that.

While we’re on burgers some of the best I think are Dive Bar-96th and Amsterdam, yes that’s a hike and Joe Allen-46th between 8th and 9th, closer to home.

For hot dogs don’t buy them off the guys on street. I’ve heard some bad stories. The only thing you buy off those guys are pretzels and soup in a pinch, and bottled drinks. No matter how good it looks or smells avoid this temptation.

If you have a hankering for a dog hit Gray’s Papaya-Broadway and 71st uptown or 6th and Waverly downtown. Probably the best in the city plus they toast the buns and use a nice spicy mustard.

If you want to go real upscale and trendy Nobu is still popular- Hudson St. between Franklin and Moore, Robert DeNiro’s place. You’ll have to cab it here also. Make reservations in advance, you’ll spend a few bucks, and you’ll usually wait regardless of what you do. Good food, I had a cranky waiter, but all in all it was good. Haven’t been in awhile but you know what you’re getting into here.

I also like Tribeca Grill in JFK JR’s old neighborhood- Tribeca. Also a DeNiro place. Greenwich St between Franklin and N Moore. Just to give you an idea I had lunch with Kelly here and it was over $100 and that was in 1998. It was so delicious though and I still remember what I had, Balsamic Tuna Steak cooked to perfection over saute’d mushrooms and spinach with caviar on top.

Cool places to have a drink if you’re into that- although I don’t know how much with kids in tow but I thought it was worth a mention since it’s something that I’m too experienced with.

Patroon- 46th between 3rd and Lexington-They have a rooftop bar and put heaters out there in the winter. It’s really cool but hit or miss as they have wacky hours so call ahead and see if they’re open first. I hear the food’s good but I’ve never eaten there.

The Essex House (hotel)-Central Park South between 6th and 7th- There’s a place in here called Journeys with nice leather couches, simple snacks, a fireplace, and expensive drinks. A good place to relax and regroup after spending some time in Central Park.

The Oak Room-Plaza Hotel-5th Ave and 59th St. The Plaza is decorated beautifully for the holidays so do a walk through and stop in the Oak Room.

The Hudson Hotel- 58th St between 8th and 9th-Very different décor, real funky tables, chairs, colors, ect. Will get loud later on. Trendy. I met John Starks from the Knicks in there last Tuesday.

57-57- In the Four Seasons Hotel- A lot of well heeled pretty people here.$$$$$$$$$$$

One of my favorites is tucked away in the most unusual and unsuspecting places, Grand Central Terminal. There is a little street that runs behind it that not a lot of people take notice of Vanderbilt between Madison and Park. You go outta the terminal up a couple of short flights of steps through a passageway and back into the terminal and into Campbell Apartment. Nice plush couches, good service, good drinks. Upcale. I love it. It was a nice hideaway when I was waiting for the train. Any attendant at Grand Central will be able to tell you how to get in. It doesn’t open til 4pm.

Up the street from the Essex House on the corner of 6th Ave and Central Park South is Wiskey Park. It’s lit by candlelight. They have good looking waitresses in provocative outfits but tastefully done. Kelly likes going here. It’s also a favorite spot of DeNiro, Nicholas Cage and Mick Jaggar when he’s in town. Kelly and I missed DeNiro and Cage by 5 minutes one night.

The Cub Room-Corner of Sullivan and Prince in Soho. One of Kelly’s favorites, she enjoys their signature drink the watermelon martini made with fresh watermelon juice. This place earns it’s stripes in the summer when the accordian doors fold in and it becomes an open air place. Good drinks, comfortable couches. I actually ate here about two years ago and it was real good. A little of everything.

For sports bars I like the Park Avenue Country Club- Park Ave South between 26th and 27th. They could also do ESPN Zone in times square-Broadway and 42nd.

The best sports bars are the smaller ones uptown but I don’t know their teams so ask at the hotel if interested.

I could probably give you a hundred more but they’ll never have the time.

Fun stuff for the kids-

Central Park-

A lot of people shy away from the park but I think it’s a great place. It’s very safe during the day. DO NOT hang around the park at night or any park for that matter.

The Wollman Rink- Do not waste a lot of time trying to ice skate at Rockefeller Center- Long lines, quick sessions, small rink. Thanks to Donald Trump we have the big rink in the park. Your best bet is to use the entrance by 6th Ave. The rink is probably the one thing you can do at night as well it’s not that deep into the park, just be aware of who is around you when your on your way.

The Zoo- The Zoo is actually pretty good and you could get through it pretty quick, like an hour or so. Use the entrance over by 5th Ave and 64th St. Or cut through the park. The zoo sits in the southeast corner of the park.

You can venture around the park, there’s a lot to see and some great views from the park looking back into the city with the big buildings as a backdrop. Good photo opps in the park.

The Museum of Natural History-Central Park West and 79th St.-Always a fun day as a kid. If you go up here you’ll pass the Dakota at 72nd St where John Lennon lived and was shot. The park entrance across from there has a memorial and occasionally you’ll have the hippies hangin and lighting candles there by strawberry fields. Also not far from there is Tavern on the Green. Impossible to get in for dinner but possibly a drink, although I may have a connection there soon, I’ll keep you posted.

Almost forgot, by the Plaza 5th Ave and 59th you’ll find the horse and carriage rides which is fun and across the street on the other side of 5th Ave and 59th is the toy store FAO Schwartz- I still go here all the time. I forget if it’s the 2nd or 3rd floor where they have the piano built into the floor that Tom Hanks used in the movie BIG. At 34 I still jump on this thing and play tunes with my feet.

I’m sure all the usual tourist stuff is in order like Rockefeller Center-5th Ave and 50th right across from St Patrick’s Cathedral. Even if you’re not religious, St Pats is impressive.

If you get a chance do the Empire State Building-5th Ave and 34th Street. It seems like you can see the whole world from up there. I’d go twice once during the day and once at night. Equally spectacular in their own way. Long lines but worth it. A lot of security so call ahead to see what’s allowed and what’s not.

Statue of Liberty is on again off again. I know you can’t go all the way to the top anymore. If you get a chance to do this it’s an interesting journey up. You get a ferry from Battery Park and includes Ellis Island as well where you can trace your roots back.

I’d tell you to take the tour of the stock exchange but they’re not doing it right now because of security. There’s guards with machine guns outside the exchange. It’s basically controlled chaos but cool to see. Personally it’s not much of thrill for me since the market is my life and I’m on Wall St twice a week, which is enough for me. But would’ve been cool for them- next time.

Shopping-

My favorite is The shops at Columbus Circle-59th and 8th- Nice new mall. A lot of your better retailers and good restaurants in there as well.

The rest of the heavy hitters you’ll find on 5th Ave or Madison Ave. Soho which is downtown is kind of an artsy neighborhood but has a bunch of little boutique type shops for ladies handbags and the like. There’s some along Spring St but also ask at the hotel. The Village has some good stuff to but I don’t know how much they want to subject the kids to. It’s totally safe but some funky lookin characters at times.

One of the best kept secrets is a department store called Century 21. It sits right next to where the World Trade Center stood on Cortlandt between Church and Broadway, actually there’s a few entrances. Good prices for NY. I buy ties here occasionally.

Ice Cream-

If they can, get to Serendipity on E 60th between 2nd and 3rd or Ben & Jerry’s 3rd Ave and 10th St. Basically your going uptown or downtown for good ice cream. There’s also a place called Tasti D Lite on I think 6th Ave and 31st.

I almost forgot about soup-

For the best soup in the city go to Soup Kitchen International- W55th between Broadway and 8th. This is the place depicted in Seinfeld. You really do have to follow the rules here. Have your money ready, say your order, and step to the side, no joke. It’s not a store, they basically roll up a gate and you step up to the counter. There’s usually a line that wraps around the corner but goes pretty quick. Go to the front, look at the selections of the day, check the instructions, then get on line and start getting your money ready. Do it right or “No Soup for You.” It’ll be the most expensive soup you’ll ever buy but they usually throw you some bread, fruit, and a piece of candy. You’ll have to find a bench to eat but that’s usually not a problem.

You’ll see Hale and Hearty all over the city, the soup is decent but it’s a rip off for what you get in my opinion. It’s their call on that one.

There’s a place called Basil Café-3rd Ave and 47th- good soup and salad bar with small seating area. Get there early lunch or late lunch if you want a seat. Ate here many, many times when I worked a block away. Good stuff.

General Rules of Thumb-

Do not go above (north) of 96th St. This is where the neighborhood changes. 96th is still good but don’t go north of there day or night. Also try to avoid going west of 8th Ave between 55th down to 14th street at night, during the day is fine. They’ll see the difference in the people.

The subway is very good and efficient. You need to use the machines and get metro cards, no more tokens. The metro card is good for the bus as well but I’m not a bus guy so I can’t help you there. Ask the attendant if you have a problem. I personally try to avoid the subway after 10pm. I’ usually pay the extra money for a cab at night but I take the subway all day. Make sure you read the signs and you’re on the correct side of the platform to go either north uptown or south downtown.

Since Bloomberg is in office the bums and beggars are back all over. They don’t bother you, I just get sick of seeing them. There’s also a ton of people handing out flyers for this or that. Basically don’t make eye contact with the beggars or the flyer people, just blow right by them. If they’re aggressive just say no thanks and keep walking. Don’t listen to anyone’s pitch, plight, or bs. There’s also garbage back on the streets in some areas. You NEVER EVER saw any of this when Guiliani was here.

Almost forgot about the Naked Cowboy. There’s a guy who stands right in the middle of Times Square with a guitar and an amp playin tunes. He’s tall, fairly good looking I suppose, and built, and wears nothing but a cowboy hat, cowboy boots and his tight, white underwear with naked cowboy written on them. Harmless but just a heads up for the kids.

Also in regards to eating, the touristy restaurants (Planet Hollywood ect) are gonna be on the main 2 way through streets like 57th, 42nd, 34th, 23rd, 14th, ect. And I forgot to mention South St Seaport which is on the south corner of Manhattan via the Financial District by Water St-plenty of restaurants and shops right there as well.

:cheers:

Archived