Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN.com: Ranking the NFL's best RBs

Popeman38

i hate the league sometimes.

when maurice jonesdrew didnt win rookie of the year, the league should have just punched themselves in the face. they give the award to vince young, a guy who threw more INTs than TDs, on a team whos defense won all their games for them, but young is "a great leaders".

and MJD shreds the league in rushing/receiving/returning for something like 16 TDs his rookie year, and he doesnt even get considered. friggin hillarious.

This is fantasy football...i'd take barber of CP...

on my football team, CP over barber - and thats not being a homer....

But i was just going to post the exerpt about him missing blocks. Haha...these guys are laughable.

in fantasy football you get points for yards and TDs.

portis had more of both, yet you want barber over CP? that makes sense......

The blocking comment is absurd. Yes he gets run over at times while blocking, but he is smaller, and those are unusual.

Total garbage right there.

Having said that, yes he does take games off, and he did put the ball on the ground which totally killed us in a few games. Tampa was 90% on him, 10% on Gibbs not pulling him out quickly.

Portis did take off the Tampa and Chicago games...and it can be argued that he takes off playoff games.

It can just as well be argued that he is too beat up come playoff time, also partially due to Joe Gibbs.

As far as the receiving goes--yeah, he is bad. I remember one game last year where there was a swing out pass to him on 3rd down. He ran completely out of bounds before even turning around to catch the ball--which then hit him right in the hands and he dropped it. His mind wasn't on football that day.

Again....Gibbs fault. No need to be throwing the ball to Portis or Sellers.

Give me LT and Adrian Peterson (come on guys, you didn't have flashbacks of Eric Dickerson when you watched him last year) on talent in front of Portis. If you factor in character and heart (I'm biased b/c I think Portis is the s@#$) he's only behind Tomlinson as the best RB in the league. There is a lot to be said for being a great teammate too. And please how in the world do you say he misses blocks, hell sometimes it seems like he creates blocks just so he CAN hit somebody (ask Jason Taylor).

loook at me, ive never rushed for over 1000 yards, but because i can run the ball 2 yards from the goalline, im elite. im also not even a starter, but im better than 50+ running backs in the league according to ESPN.

give me friggin justin fargas behind a good oline over marion barber.

It's the Bus/Alstott effect. Although Bettis was legitimate running back at one time in his career.

The blocking comment is absurd. Yes he gets run over at times while blocking, but he is smaller, and those are unusual.

Total garbage right there.

Having said that, yes he does take games off, and he did put the ball on the ground which totally killed us in a few games. Tampa was 90% on him, 10% on Gibbs not pulling him out quickly.

Portis did take off the Tampa and Chicago games...and it can be argued that he takes off playoff games.

It can just as well be argued that he is too beat up come playoff time, also partially due to Joe Gibbs.

As far as the receiving goes--yeah, he is bad. I remember one game last year where there was a swing out pass to him on 3rd down. He ran completely out of bounds before even turning around to catch the ball--which then hit him right in the hands and he dropped it. His mind wasn't on football that day.

Again....Gibbs fault. No need to be throwing the ball to Portis or Sellers.

i dont think he takes games off, hes just abused because gibbs thought it was 1984.

and about receiving, i think i tallyed this a few weeks ago. only 2 running backs had more receiving yards than him in 07, LT and Westbrook. thats nice company in my opinion.

Actually they had a response thread to this and Sando got some Pro-Skins words in there:

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/hashmarks/0-7-430/Debating-the-top-running-backs.html

SANDO: The thing I know Jim Zorn likes about Portis is his versatility. Zorn was with Shaun Alexander all those years when they took him out of the game on third down or lived with the consequences when they left him in there to pass protect. And from what I've heard so far, they think Portis is the total package. He isn't the flashy breakaway guy. He hasn't had a run longer than 47 yards since the 2004 season. But he has three 1,500-yard seasons, a 1,300-yard season and a 1,200-yard season. That's almost as good as Marion Barber. Or Marshawn Lynch.

He also said something about having rookies in the top 32.

Thank God I don't take this stuff seriously.

ESPN would probably make Chris Cooley out to be a second tier tight end and Jason Witten the cream of the crop. :dallasuck

I hate these rankings. They don't show the true value of the individual to the team.

i dont think he takes games off, hes just abused because gibbs thought it was 1984.

and about receiving, i think i tallyed this a few weeks ago. only 2 running backs had more receiving yards than him in 07, LT and Westbrook. thats nice company in my opinion.

He takes games off.....Chicago and TB come to mind quickly....and he takes parts of games off. That pass I just described was one. He has even taken an entire preseason off.

Regardless, that is in the past. He sounds like he is growing up.

And on the receiving, stats are stats. If you throw the ball to him 100 times, of course he will have good yardage. How many passes did he drop out of those 100? He just isn't a great passing option.

Same thing with running last season. He had a decent yardage total....but led the league in carries.

I echo every else's sentiments. Let's look at the stat line these guys looked at to come up with their decision.

MARION BARBER

-Barber has never been over 1,000 yds in his 3 yr career. Portis has 5 times in his 6 year career and 3 times in his first 3 years.

-Barder had less rushing TD's than Portis Last year, but more recieving TD's.

-CP had more TD's in his first 3 years than Barber did in his first 3 yrs.

-They both have 29 TD's over the last 3 years.

-Barber is 2 yrs younger than Portis.

- Barber isn't a proven #1 back in this league and it doesn't seem as if the Cowboys believe he will ever be one considering their drafting another RB with their first overall pick, and the 22nd overall pick in the draft. No team with a proven #1 RB would draft a RB in the first round unless that proven RB is an aging veteran.

How could anyone's list have Barber over CP.

FRANK GORE..........You've gotta be kidding me right.

- Doesn't have as many TD's in his first 3 yrs, as Portis has had in ANY COMBINATION of 3 years throughout his career lol. (You can even include his receiving TD's and the argument holds)

-One year younger than Portis

-Has been a better receiving back but not a better runner. Take into consideration that Gore IS 49er's offense. Portis has been in an offense with a probowl WR and TE, so these guys clearly have gotten their touches.

Steven Jackson................NO

-Over his 4 years in St. Louis, he has never put up more TD's than Portis has in either his first 4 or last 4 years. Same goes for rushing yards.

-2 yrs younger than Portis

Joseph Addai..........No Again. Tired of looking at stats so Im just going off of my gut on this one lol.

Only guys I would consider are LT, AP, LJ, and BW. CP should be #5

According to Stats Inc, http://hosted.stats.com/fb/leaders.asp?range=NFC&type=Receiving&rank=232&year=

CP didn't even have 6 dropped passes. They don't give the full list of players, but among the top 15, CP isn't there, and the lowest number on that list is 6. Westbrook, Gore, and other RBs are on that list.

And what is this crap that CP disappears in games? Or gets run over when blocking? Seeing as the OL protection was so poor that the QB was sacked and fumbled multiple times in Chicago and Tampa, I wouldn't say CP disappeared in those games, rather the OL with Fabini and Wade on the right side did.

Larry Johnson at #5? That's how I know this is B.S. I warned everybody last year that in fantasy football Larry Johnson was a ****ty back and a product of Willie Roaf and Will Shields--two future hall of famers that retired before last year's season. Well Larry proved that he was the bust that he is without those two guys making holes the size of the empty space in Pacman's brain. I call it the Priest Holmes effect. Running backs get too much credit when their O-line is godlike.

P.S. Don't pick Larry Johnson this year in fantasy. Word to your mother.

Larry Johnson at #5? That's how I know this is B.S. I warned everybody last year that in fantasy football Larry Johnson was a ****ty back and a product of Willie Roaf and Will Shields--two future hall of famers that retired before last year's season. Well Larry proved that he was the bust that he is without those two guys making holes the size of the empty space in Pacman's brain. I call it the Priest Holmes effect. Running backs get too much credit when their O-line is godlike.

P.S. Don't pick Larry Johnson this year in fantasy. Word to your mother.

Great points. I was ridculed bad at the beginning of the season in fantasy football because I traded Shaun Alexander to the guy who had Larry Johnson. My argument was that both lost key OL and would see big production drops. I got CP and Burress out of the deal, so at the end of the season when I had the best overall record you can imagine who was laughing then.

He takes games off.....Chicago and TB come to mind quickly....and he takes parts of games off. That pass I just described was one. He has even taken an entire preseason off.

Regardless, that is in the past. He sounds like he is growing up.

And on the receiving, stats are stats. If you throw the ball to him 100 times, of course he will have good yardage. How many passes did he drop out of those 100? He just isn't a great passing option.

Same thing with running last season. He had a decent yardage total....but led the league in carries.

You are completely out of your mind. Portis is a very good receiver who has caught many difficult passes for the Skins. He drops very few catchable balls. And what is this bull about taking games off? The dude plays hurt, and he always runs and blocks hard. Taking the preseason off was smart, and he's not the only back that does it.

Great points. I was ridculed bad at the beginning of the season in fantasy football because I traded Shaun Alexander to the guy who had Larry Johnson. My argument was that both lost key OL and would see big production drops. I got CP and Burress out of the deal, so at the end of the season when I had the best overall record you can imagine who was laughing then.

Aww F off!

Sorry. I was wanna of those guys who made a trade to GET LJ. Dammit.

:mad:

You are completely out of your mind. Portis is a very good receiver who has caught many difficult passes for the Skins. He drops very few catchable balls. And what is this bull about taking games off? The dude plays hurt, and he always runs and blocks hard. Taking the preseason off was smart, and he's not the only back that does it.

You also need to consider that the bulk of those drops came when it really was not relevant whether he caught the ball or not. Passes, where had he caught them, he would have been immediately stuffed.

Archived