Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Fred Davis. It's a player's name. I made a thread-title out of it. See? (M.E.T.)

DTN Redskin

i hope we can develop his blocking skills, i think as a passing threat hes great but i'd like to have a TE who can block when called on. if he can do both imagine how many defenses you can confuse by having him and cooley on the field..wont know what plays being called.

Yea, I agree with that. I remember when they called his name during the draft, and the VERY first thought that I had was he must be a great blocker, otherwise why would they take him? Then they said his only downside is his blocking, and I got confused, lol.

I am in the same boat with the people who believe we need to lay off this kid . . . Sure, the guy missed a day at work. But we do not need to lambaste him for it. I for one will just be optimistic about him and look forward to seeing him in Pre-Season. He surely has talent. And I think that our emphasis on character is a bit much . . . While I am not saying we should have a bunch of convicts running around Redskins Park, I think that there a lot bigger deals than missing the third day of practice. If this guy had a previous record of drug abuse, substance abuse, criminal record, etc. then I would say otherwise. But if the Pete Carroll can vouch for the guy, then let's give him a shot.

I'm not expecting a whole lot our of Davis. Personally, I dont think he'll see the field all the much. As for helping Cooley, having a healthy Moss and ARE and getting Kelly and Thomas to contrubute some will do a lot more in helping open up Cooley than Davis ever will. He's not a good blocker, so if anyone stays in to block, it's probalby going to be Cooley in 2 TE sets. I think Davis is going to be a decent but not a great TE, but not on this team. Basically I think we spent a 2nd round pick on a guy we might be lucky to get a 4th-5th rounder for if we trade him, or we'll just not resign him when his rook contract runs out.

Wow I think your being a little too negative about a guy who just won the Mackey Award and played at the nations most dominant college program (which is also my school). The guy has plently of potential in terms of catching the ball and i think i read that the coaches are going to try as hard as possible for him to become a successful blocker.

I definitely say lay off the kid...I think this is a small incident, and to say he's going to be bad for the locker room? I seem to remember a great player we all love who left rookie orientation early and back then was considered as going to be bad for the lockerroom...

Wow I think your being a little too negative about a guy who just won the Mackey Award and played at the nations most dominant college program (which is also my school). The guy has plently of potential in terms of catching the ball and i think i read that the coaches are going to try as hard as possible for him to become a successful blocker.

Doesn't negate the fact that we have Cooley, does it?

And don't all coaches try to make tight ends become better at everything, including blocking?

2. You just DO NOT simply over sleep on your 3RD day to work. If he stays awake in training camp then we will have to see and wait before getting too excited about him.

Guy was running on west coast time, and it was an early practice; cut him some slack. Besides, it's not like people can control over sleeping. It's something that unfortunately happens sometimes.

Just saw Fred Davis on Redskins Radio, and I've changed my tune. He seems like he did learn from the mistake and that it may have scared the hell out of him. He also talked about how it worried his mom because the Redskins called him to see where he was, and she didn't know. Davis mentioned that he's glad that it happened now so that he can just be focused on football.

Davis also stated that he hadn't really been around the team as a whole since the incident, which makes sense, so he hasn't really gotten any razzing that he has coming to him.

Quick question, whose sources are more reliable, the Junkies or JLC? Both are these unnamed guys who could be operating from zero knowledge or out of spite for the team our out of just wanting to create news stories and collect a check. How much can you base on this?

Now, if somebody here was at that club and saw him there (and maybe took a picture with Davis holding a sign saying "yes I am Fred Davis at ____ Night Club on _____") then maybe it'd be more believable. But right now its just some BS from a radio show trying to entice its listeners!

True, that's why it's a rumor but you have to admit, there's some pretty detailed events for it to be all rumors. I mean if it was just a rumor, you could say he overslept, or he stayed out late and overslept. But they were saying detailed stuff like he wanted to get his own room, he upgraded to the presidentual room at the hotel, he went to the club until 3am in the morning...I mean really detailed stuff...

I could see a number of potential sources who could have access to that info....i.e. hotel staff, club bouncers, etc...

I'm sure the guy knows how to work an alarm clock, he's been in college. We've all done it before. The more logical reason you don't get up at 7am for practice is if you went to bed at 4am.

Again, that's why its rumors. But no, the Junkies aren't pure Ravens fans. EB from the show is a die hard Skins fan. They just get annoyed when the team makes dumb decisions (draft picks, time management during games, play calling, etc...) just like we do. It's objective criticism.

True, that's why it's a rumor but you have to admit, there's some pretty detailed events for it to be all rumors. I mean if it was just a rumor, you could say he overslept, or he stayed out late and overslept. But they were saying detailed stuff like he wanted to get his own room, he upgraded to the presidentual room at the hotel, he went to the club until 3am in the morning...I mean really detailed stuff...

I could see a number of potential sources who could have access to that info....i.e. hotel staff, club bouncers, etc...

I'm sure the guy knows how to work an alarm clock, he's been in college. We've all done it before. The more logical reason you don't get up at 7am for practice is if you went to bed at 4am.

Again, that's why its rumors. But no, the Junkies aren't pure Ravens fans. EB from the show is a die hard Skins fan. They just get annoyed when the team makes dumb decisions (draft picks, time management during games, play calling, etc...) just like we do. It's objective criticism.

Anyone can make up anything and make it seem dramatic. For instance, you named him switching rooms and getting upgraded to the presidential room as two different things, but are they? Kinda hard to move to the presidential suite without moving rooms, no? And how often have people said that they saw a celebrity at a place?

All that you're dong is contributing to the heresay and he said, she said parts of this. NONE of it is "highly detailed stuff." Just let the man be.

2. You just DO NOT simply over sleep on your 3RD day to work. If he stays awake in training camp then we will have to see and wait before getting too excited about him.

You also know, damn well, that a team cannot afford to Cut a 2nd round draft pick for oversleeping. IMO, FD could oversleep again and the team wouldn't be able to do anything about it.

You also know, damn well, that a team cannot afford to Cut a 2nd round draft pick for oversleeping. IMO, FD could oversleep again and the team wouldn't be able to do anything about it.

Are you suggesting that he did it on purpose because he knew they wouldn't cut him?

If not, what relevance does your comment have to this discussion?

No, I'm realistic. USC isnt the SEC (and yes, Im biased) and players out of UCS tend to be over-hyped. But the fact of the matter is he is depth behind a probowler. So, he's not going to be a starter. And if he is not a starter, why should I expect great things from him? What are we going to do, bench Cooley, a proven TE that is one of the best in the league over a rook?

Nah.

So, I dont see him getting much playing time, and if he IS that good another team is going to need him more than we will. Gotta look at the big picture.

Archived