Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ABC News: Obama Takes Issue With Bush Foreign Policy Speech--Hitler Reference (M.E.T)

JMS

Bush fireworks in Israel!!

Obama Takes Issue With Bush Foreign Policy Speech

May 15, 2008 9:57 AM

ABC News' Ed O'Keefe Reports: The Obama campaign is taking issue with a comment President Bush made while speaking to the Knesset on the 60th anniversary of Israel's statehood.

"Some seem to believe we should negotiate with terrorists and radicals, as if some ingenious argument will persuade them they have been wrong all along," the President said to the country's legislative body, "We have heard this foolish delusion before. As Nazi tanks crossed into Poland in 1939, an American senator declared: 'Lord, if only I could have talked to Hitler, all of this might have been avoided.' We have an obligation to call this what it is –- the false comfort of appeasement, which has been repeatedly discredited by history."

Watch video of Bush's comments on terror HERE.

In a statement, Sen. Barack Obama, D-Ill., shot across the bow: "It is sad that President Bush would use a speech to the Knesset on the 6Oth anniversary of Israel's independence to launch a false political attack. It is time to turn the page on eight years of policies that have strengthened Iran and failed to secure America or our ally Israel. Instead of tough talk and no action, we need to do what Kennedy, Nixon and Reagan did and use all elements of American power -- including tough, principled, and direct diplomacy - to pressure countries like Iran and Syria. George Bush knows that I have never supported engagement with terrorists, and the President's extraordinary politicization of foreign policy and the politics of fear do nothing to secure the American people or our stalwart ally Israel."

ABC News' White House troops point out that the President has made similar statements in the past and Bush did not specifically cite Obama by name, though he did reference Sen. William Borah's immortal reaction upon hearing that Hitler had invaded Poland and begun World War II, something he has not highlighted in the past.

"(The President) has said similar things before," a White House official told ABC News' Martha Raddatz. "But it is in reference to a number of people, think Carter, others who have engaged in this or suggested it."

White House spokesperson Dana Perino was asked if Bush's line was a slam against Obama and she insisted, "It is not."

"I understand that when you are running for office sometimes you think the world revolves around you. That is not always true and it is not true in this case," Perino added, though the White House is keenly aware of how such statements might play during a heated political season and has steadfastly avoided commenting on the 2008 race.

In an ABC News interview with the President in April, Bush told Raddatz, "I've said the president's job is to solve these issues diplomatically first and foremost. But, of course options need to stay on the table."

Vice President Dick Cheney has been more direct in criticizing the 2008 Democratic candidates, although still not by name.

"The idea that we can walk away from Iraq is, I think, terribly damaging on its face, and to say that, 'well that's the only way we can get the Iraqis to take on responsibility,' I don't believe that's the case," Cheney said in a March interview with ABC News.

Without addressing the Democratic candidates specifically, the vice president said those who want to pull out of Iraq are "seriously misguided," adding that the presidential candidates would be risking an attack on the homeland if U.S. forces withdrew, and arguing that terrorists would find safe havens in other countries.

Sens. Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton, D-N.Y., both have said they'd withdraw U.S. forces from Iraq if elected president. Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., has advocated a continued U.S. presence in Iraq until security and political situations improve.

When asked if he was talking about any candidate in particular, Cheney said, "I am talking about any candidate for high office who believes the solution for our problem in that part of the world is to walk away from the commitments that we've made in Iraq, Afghanistan and elsewhere."

ABC News' Ann Compton, Jon Garcia, Sunlen Miller, and Martha Raddatz contributed to this report

http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalradar/2008/05/obama-takes-iss.html

I liked Obama's response and Dana Perino's reply that it wasn't in reference to Obama.

Yeah it seems Bush did not realize he was making a direct attack on Obama. I guess he just reads the teleprompter. CNN is reporting senior Bush administration officals saying Bush was indeed reffering to Obama as well as former President Jimmy Carter.

I wonder how Hillary got a hold of Bush's teleprompter feed?

The comments were not specifically tagged towards Obama. (Stand down people)

It could have been easily meant to be former President Carter. (recent trip rigning a bell here anyone?)

My issue with such comments is that President Bush is making a hypocritical statement, because last time I checked, we are not at war with North Korea (although we do appear to be talking to them and offering them money to stop what they are doing).

I do approve of that approach, as it's the only sane course of action because:

1. We could not attack North Korea without China (and potentially Russia) responding militarily.

2. They have no oil resources to exploit :rolleyes:

PS - Of course, since John McCain hates them, I suspect that will be the next war. :doh:

:2cents:

You pretty much know who the appeasers are by who stands up and takes offense to the Presidents remarks.

Also, let's say our enemies put an army in Canada and Mexico... Would we feel "strengthened?"

Once Obama/Kerry/Gore/Clinton/Bush/McCain/Smoe enters the office they have to play by the same rules in effect.

No army would reach the 5 mile point from land.

Bush is such an idiot... He quoted Sen. William Borah's statement about Nazi Germany and Hitler as an example of Obama's appeasement?

"Lord, if I could only have talked with Hitler, all this might have been avoided." —September 1939, upon hearing that Hitler had invaded Poland

Problem is Sen. Borah was a main stream Republican in 1939 having served in the Senate for more than 30 years at the time... He was one of the leaders of Bush's own party!!... One would think Bush would have been smart enough to stick with Neville Chamberlain, Britain's PM and famous Hitler appeaser (Pease in our Time). Of coarse Neville too was a conservative!!.

Why didn't Bush just come out and say.... Liberals engaged and beat the snot out of Hitler over the strong objections of my party, and conservatives of the day. We are all very lucky that they will shortly be in power again largely thanks to my incompetence and total failure in leadership... It is my legacy.

Wasn't it the Bush Administration who negotiated with Libya, the terrorist regime who brought down Pan Am flight 103, to give up their pursuit of WMD's?

Negotiations with Libia started six years before Bush got into office under Clinton. Bush did decide to continue the negotiations and accept the final deal negotiated.

The comments were not specifically tagged towards Obama. (Stand down people)

It could have been easily meant to be former President Carter. (recent trip rigning a bell here anyone?)

good point.

Yeah it seems Bush did not realize he was making a direct attack on Obama. I guess he just reads the teleprompter. CNN is reporting senior Bush administration officals saying Bush was indeed reffering to Obama as well as former President Jimmy Carter.

I wonder how Hillary got a hold of Bush's teleprompter feed?

but maybe it was both? someone in the administration should make a clear statement on who he was referring to though... for mccain's own political reasons.

Obama is pretty high on himself to think that the President cares enough about him to call him out. I guess anything to keep his name in the news.

I think this is the real story here:

Obama just took the President head-on... Bush responded by saying it "wasn't about Obama."

Who looks stronger here to voters?

Bush is such an idiot... He quoted Sen. William Borah's statement about Nazi Germany and Hitler as an example of Obama's appeasment?

Problem is Sen. Borah was a main stream Republican in 1940... He was one of the leaders of Bush's own party... One would think Bush would have been smart enough to stick with Neville Chamberlain, Britain's PM and famous British appeaser. Of coarse Neville too was a conservative.

Why didn't Bush just come out and say.... Liberals engaged and beat the snott out of Hittler over the strong objections of my party, and conservatives of the day. We are all very lucky that they will shortly be in power again largely thanks to my incompetence and total failure in leadership... It is my legacy.

The problem, JMS, is that Bush was making a speech in Israel and was not referencing Obama at all. Borah wanted to negotiate with the Nazi to avoid WWII. Bush is making the comparison to negotiating with Islamofascists, who just so happen want to destroy Israel. A former President was in the area a few weeks ago trying to negotiate a peace. You MIGHT be able to argue that Bush was inferring Obama wished to negotiate. But you can not claim, as you do in the title, that Bush called out Obama. To do so, there would have to be direct quotes from Bush including the name of Obama, which he doesn't.

But keep spinning.

I think this is the real story here:

Obama just took the President head-on... Bush responded by saying it "wasn't about Obama."

Who looks stronger here to voters?

Bush does not care about Obama or voters. He is a lame duck.

Obama made the story about him, good politics. If Obama actually had the power to negotiate with anybody, it may have meant something.

The problem, JMS, is that Bush was making a speech in Israel and was not referencing Obama at all.

CNN just reported high ranking Bush administration official as saying Bush was talking about Obama as well as Jimmy Carter......

Obama is the only candidate who has come out in favor of talks with I'mADinnerJacket, Hezbollah and Hamas.

Borah wanted to negotiate with the Nazi to avoid WWII. Bush is making the comparison to negotiating with Islamofascists, who just so happen want to destroy Israel. A former President was in the area a few weeks ago trying to negotiate a peace. You MIGHT be able to argue that Bush was inferring Obama wished to negotiate. But you can not claim, as you do in the title, that Bush called out Obama. To do so, there would have to be direct quotes from Bush including the name of Obama, which he doesn't.

I'm hardly alone in saying Bush was calling out Obama....

But keep spinning.

:doh:, I know you believe that. I honestly disagree. If bush does one thing well on occasion it's play politics and knowing how to politically attack people during a campaign year. There is only one candidate who has said he would meet with Israel's enemies. It's totally myopic of you to claim Bush was not directly calling out Obama, especially since everybody else in the press, and Bush's own Officials are confirming it.

If Bush was refering to Obama, I don't see what the big deal is. It's the truth. Obama wants to sit down with Iran leaders and have tea time. Of course, most of the country are delusional idiots and wouldn't have any problem with that, especially naive young people who think they know everything.

If Bush was refering to Obama, I don't see what the big deal is. It's the truth. Obama wants to sit down with Iran leaders and have tea time. Of course, most of the country are delusional idiots and wouldn't have any problem with that, especially naive young people who think they know everything.

Says the man with 666 posts. THE BEAST!!!

Because the other approach has worked so well huh???

Archived