Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Thoughts on the draft from PFW.com

doncherry

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/The+Way+We+Hear+It/Audibles/2008/audibles2303.htm

May 6, 2008

The following quotes are from NFL scouts, coaches and front-office personnel, speaking on condition of anonymity.

square_black.gifBill Parcells demands loyalty out of his players, but he never gives it in return. Psychologists would go crazy with him. He’s got every explanation and reason why he has to leave jobs. Why leave Dallas? He was burned out. Why leave the Jets? He got burned out. I think he will quit in two years and blame it on the new owner and say, by the way, ‘Thanks for the $12 million.’ ”

square_black.gif “Is Parcells ever going to have a draft when he does not draft a Jimmy Sexton (Parcells' agent) client? At the end of the day, I think (Dolphins second-round pick DE) Phillip Merling is just a guy. He’s a solid run defender, but he is not special. He has an average motor. I was not enamored with him after meeting with him — he had sleepy eyes and looked like a typical Clemson kid.”

square_black.gif “The (former Chiefs DE) Jared Allen trade made a lot of sense. It was a win-win situation for both teams. I think the Vikings gave up a lot (a first-round pick, two third-round picks and a swap of sixth-rounders) — a lot more than I would have given away — but he’s going to help their football team. He had 15-something sacks, and he probably created 10 more for the other guys around him. He’ll bring accountability to the locker room.”

square_black.gif “(Cardinals first-round pick CB) Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie is tall, does not tackle, and he only has one kidney. That’s not a good combination.”

square_black.gif “The Matt Ryan talk in Kansas City was all a smokescreen.”

square_black.gif “(Jets first-round pick OLB) Vernon Gholston went to the right place. He needed to be in a 30-front. If the light comes on, he is going to be a terror. He is best when he has his hand on the ground and is coming forward.”

square_black.gif “The Falcons went from old and injured to young and on the rise. I like what they have done. They freed up the cap and got rid of some of the stars. They are starting fresh.”

square_black.gif “Is (Chargers GM) A.J. Smith that much smarter than the rest of us? (CB) Antoine Cason in the first round? Giving up a second-round pick to move up for (RB) Jacob Hester? Maybe I need to get out of this business. I don’t get it. Both of those guys would have been there a round, if not two, later.”

square_black.gif “It’s amazing how much money teams pay players to be fat. Look at (DTs) Ted Washington and Shaun Rogers and Kris Jenkins and Grady Jackson. The problem is that once they get fat, they are not ever going to get thin.”

square_black.gif “What were the Bears doing? I don’t know how you could pass on (OG-OT) Branden Albert for (OT) Chris Williams. And I’m not sure they realized how many times (RB) Matt Forté put the ball on the ground at Tulane. I was shocked they took both of those players where they did, but I’m not complaining. It just pushed more good players to us.”

square_black.gif “I had a hard time placing the right value on (Bills second-round pick WR) James Hardy. I would think he would be best with a team where he does not have to make an immediate impact. He does not play on special teams.”

square_black.gif “I could see why teams would think about (QB) Joe Flacco in the first round. When you are facing that situation where you don’t have a quarterback, you have to think about it. But take a look at most of the teams that reached at the back end of Round One to find a passer. Look at J.P. Losman. Look at Rex Grossman. Look at Patrick Ramsey. Look at Jason Campbell, who I am still not convinced will be a great quarterback. When you reach in the first round for that position, you just create expectations that are hard to meet. You’re much better off letting the board fall to you.”

square_black.gif “Someone needs to show me the tape where (Texans first-round pick OT) Duane Brown plays like a first-rounder. It does not exist. We had him in the fifth round.”

square_black.gif “I would never draft a safety in the first round unless he were rare. Ronnie Lott came into the league as a corner. You could take the Kenny Easleys — the guys that scare you coming across the middle — the guys that change game plans. But there are not many safeties that make you do that.”

square_black.gif “(Niners QB) Alex Smith has had four coordinators in four years. If he stays healthy, he could have a great year. From a mental and athletic standpoint, he is as good as anyone out there.”

Bill Parcells[/b] demands loyalty out of his players, but he never gives it in return. Psychologists would go crazy with him. He’s got every explanation and reason why he has to leave jobs. Why leave Dallas? He was burned out. Why leave the Jets? He got burned out. I think he will quit in two years and blame it on the new owner and say, by the way, ‘Thanks for the $12 million.’ ”

square_black.gif “Is Parcells ever going to have a draft when he does not draft a Jimmy Sexton (Parcells' agent) client? At the end of the day, I think (Dolphins second-round pick DE) Phillip Merling is just a guy. He’s a solid run defender, but he is not special. He has an average motor. I was not enamored with him after meeting with him — he had sleepy eyes and looked like a typical Clemson kid.”

Sorry but Parcells is loyal as hell to his players. He drags "his" guys around the NFL at every new stop. How many ex-Parcells players did the Cowboys have the first couple of years.

And do we really care that Phillip Merling has sleepy eyes?

Sorry but Parcells is loyal as hell to his players. He drags "his" guys around the NFL at every new stop. How many ex-Parcells players did the Cowboys have the first couple of years.

Hell, how many Ex-Parcell's Players are in Miami already?

no need to be sorry, I agree. I just found that a lot of the quotes were pretty interesting. It's amazing what scouts and FO types will say if guaranteed anonymity....

Why mention Ramsey and Campbell but not Aaron Rodgers?

Oh yeah, and Brady was a sixth round pick, so much for that logic.

Guess he figured it's hard to call a guy a bust just because he couldn't beat out a future HOF qb that was still producing at a fairly high level. Looked pretty good vs Dallas last year and he'll have an opportunity this year to show something or not.

Why mention Ramsey and Campbell but not Aaron Rodgers?

Oh yeah, and Brady was a sixth round pick, so much for that logic.

Brady being a sixth rounder really doesn't have anything to do with his point. His point was that reaching for second-tier QBs at the bottom of the first round rarely works out, and that you're better off waiting until a later pick and taking another QB that falls to you. If anything, Tom Brady being a sixth rounder strengthens his point.

Aaron Rodgers could probably fit into his list as well. I assume he figures that Rodgers is about to be a starter this year, so he might as well give him an opportunity to prove himself a failure. I mean, it's not like Rodgers was going to supplant Favre as a starter unless Favre retired.

square_black.gif “Is (Chargers GM) A.J. Smith that much smarter than the rest of us? (CB) Antoine Cason in the first round? Giving up a second-round pick to move up for (RB) Jacob Hester? Maybe I need to get out of this business. I don’t get it. Both of those guys would have been there a round, if not two, later.”
Bobby Beathard wannabe!

Bobby Beathard wannabe!

Got to give AJ the benefit on this one. I am not saying he is right, but he has proven that he can find talent in the draft.

The not drafting safety comment was stupid. We drafted a HOF caliber safety high in the first round and he did instill fear in receivers.

Edit: We also drafted a pro bowl caliber safety in the first round.

Look at Jason Campbell, who I am still not convinced will be a great quarterback.

“(Niners QB) Alex Smith has had four coordinators in four years. If he stays healthy, he could have a great year. From a mental and athletic standpoint, he is as good as anyone out there.”

Both of these statemens will shown to be wrong this season...

Alex Smith to me is a guy that could end up being a bust given he was the #1 overall pick. San Francisco didn't draft BPA that year but went strictly for need.

Smith would not have been a top 3 or 4 passer in a deep draft for the position.

Archived