Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Predict the '08 Roster

Recent Vintage

Mathis is the only Pro Bowl return man on the roster. The character issue was probably a factor in whether or not he would be signed, as far as making the roster, I don't think it will be a consideration unless there is a new incident. If he breaks a couple of returns in the 5 preseason games, it will be his job.

Thing is, its when he's health and motivated.

If he wants to game, than I'm down. But just cause he went to the pro bowl, I dont think he automatically gets a roster spot (which is something I'm going to guess you agree with, he's gotta earn it)

• 4 weeks later...

So some obvious updates:

(Kind of old news) Mathis got released. I kind of saw it coming, and it just kinds of attests to the wealth of return talent the team has now between Rock, Mason, Tryon, Thomas, ARE, Thrash, and Moss.

Speaking of the WRs, I think it looks more possible than ever that we carry 6. Of course, I think this will only happen if Mix shows a lot during the pre-season and camp. The more I think about it, the more I think Thrash stays.

And I'm really excited about the Erasmus James trade. I mean seriously excited.

Anyway, my new final prediction for final DL:

DTs

Monty

Golston

Griffin

DE:

Carter

Daniels (Who will move into DT on certain downs)

James

Wilson

Evans

Buzbee, Mapu, and/or Jackson on the practice squad.

In my wildest of wild dreams James will be healthy by camp, and take the full-time job away from Daniels, and he moves to DT, and only plays DE on goal-line or 4th and short type situations.

If he's not super healthy, we could always stash him on the PUP list for the first six weeks. And then get him back if he shows promise or we have a Dline injury.

I hope we find room for Marcus Mason - I know he was playing against sub-par competition in preseason ball, but last year he looked like he had the "it" factor that I've never seen from Rock. I kinda wish he had gotten signed by someone else so we were forced to find a developmental back.

I loved what I saw from Ahmad Bradshaw (sp? Giants) last year, and would love to a potential diamond in the rough at RB.

I like Rock, but I'd put him in the low risk/reward category - solid, but almost no chance he develops into something more...

Quarterback Runningbacks O-Linemen

Jason Campbell Clinton Portis -HB Chris Samuels -LT

Todd Collins Ladell Betts - HB Pete Kendall - LG

Colt Brennan Rock Cartwright -FB/HB Casey Rabach - C

Mike Sellers -FB Randy Thomas -RG

Marcus Mason -HB Jon Jansen - RT

Nehemiah Broughton -FB Todd Wade

Chad Rinehart

Kerry Brown

Jason Fabini

Stephon heyer

Tight Ends Wide Receivers Defensive Backs

Chris Cooley Santana Moss Shawn Springs

Fred Davis ARE Carlos Rogers

Todd Yoder Devin Thomas Fred Smoot

Malcolm Kelly Laron Landry

Anthony Mix Reed Doughty

James Thrash Vernon Fox

Leigh Torrence

Justin Tryon

Defensive Linemen Linebackers Special Teams

Andre Carter London Fletcher Shawn Suisham -K

Kedric Golston Rocky McIntosh Durant Brooks- P

Anthony Montgomery Marcus Washington Ethan Albright

Erasmus James H.B Blades

Chris Wilson Khary Campbell

Cornelius Griffin Odell Thurman/Takeo Spikes

DT free agent

Rob Jackson

with the signing of James, it gets me excited and REALLY hoping we bring in Spikes or Thurman. Heck I'd bring them both in. If they perform we have a solid vet in Spikes and a really young (24) LB that showed amazing skill as a rookie. Call me crazy but I'd like to see Takeo Spikes, Odell Thurman, Kenoy Kennedy, Stuart Schwiegart and Mike Doss brought in for tryouts. We could use a little more depth at S and LB and these guys could provide it and play special teams as well!

Dizzi,

You really think they're going to cut Daniels?

I guess it's possible, I never thought they'd cut Big Joe, but really, Daniels?

Daniels won't be going anywhere, even tho we didn't see Salave'a or Wynn going anywhere either lol

Anyone have any info on the LBs currently on the roster?

We obviously know plenty about Fletcher, Washington, Rocky Mac, Blades, and Campbell...

But how about Sinclaire, Verdun-Wheeler, Gatewood, and Wallace?

Are Gatewood or Wilson practice squad material?

Their college summaries on redskins.com sound nice.

Curtis Gatewood is a 6-2, 248-pound outside linebacker who will likely play either the strong-side or defensive end in the pros...A four-year starter at Vanderbilt, he recorded 110 tackles, 10.5 sacks and one interception in his college career.

Bryan Wilson is a 6-3, 250-pound outside linebacker who earned 2007 All-MEAC first-team defense honors...He logged 50 tackles, a team-high seven sacks and a league-high six forced fumbles...Wilson hails from Temple Hills, Md...He attended the Redskins' local college workout in April 2008.

OFFENSE

QB(3): Campbell, Collins, Brennen

RB(3): Portis, Betts, Cartwright

FB(1): Sellers

TE(3): Cooley, Davis, Yoder

WR(6): Moss, Randle El, Thomas, Kelly, Thrash, Mix

OT(4): Samuels, Jansen, Heyer, Wade

OG(4): Thomas, Kendall, Rinehart, Brown

C(1): Rabach

- I think 6 WRs makes sense given our personal and the new offense Zorn is installing. Unless Mix proves he really doesn't belong or Thrash has run out of gas I think they will both make the team.

- We will definitely keep 3 tight ends. I think most people are counting Yoder out but I see no reason to at this point. We will have to see if Schmitt or Broughton make an impression, but at this point I will assume that Sellers continues to be the lone fullback. No idea how much Zorn's offense will utilize the fullback.

- The offensive line is going to be the most interesting battle here. The veterans Wade and Fabini will be fighting some talented but unheralded youngsters like Kerry Brown and Andrew Crummey. I think at least one of those two undrafted rooks will make the team along with 3rd round pick Chad Rinehart.

DEFENSE

DE(5): Carter, Daniels, James, Wilson, Evans

DT(4): Griffin, Montgomery, Golston, Alexander

LB(6): Fletcher, Washington, McIntosh, Blades, Campbell, Sinclair

CB(5): Springs, Smoot, Rogers, Tryon, Torrence

S(5): Landry, Doughty, Fox, Moore, Horton

- I think 5 DEs makes sense at this point. Evans will have competition from Buzbee to make the roster. They could both make it if James hasnt fully healed. Hopefully Boschetti is finally done...

- I only have 6 LBs making the roster. They could keep a 7th and drop a DB. Keep an eye on Curtis Gatewood.

- I'm not sure we will keep both Moore and Horton at safety, but I'm not sure where that last roster spot will go. It was either safety, linebacker, or perhaps fullback or defensive tackle.

SPECIAL TEAMS

K(1): Suisham

P(1): Brooks

LS(1): Albright

- I wouldn't count Frost out just yet, but hopefully Brooks can be that elite punter we have been looking for.

Quarterback Runningbacks O-Linemen

Jason Campbell Clinton Portis -HB Chris Samuels -LT

Todd Collins Ladell Betts - HB Pete Kendall - LG

Colt Brennan Rock Cartwright -FB/HB Casey Rabach - C

Mike Sellers -FB Randy Thomas -RG

Marcus Mason -HB Jon Jansen - RT

Nehemiah Broughton -FB Todd Wade

Chad Rinehart

Kerry Brown

Jason Fabini

Stephon heyer

Tight Ends Wide Receivers Defensive Backs

Chris Cooley Santana Moss Shawn Springs

Fred Davis ARE Carlos Rogers

Todd Yoder Devin Thomas Fred Smoot

Malcolm Kelly Laron Landry

Anthony Mix Reed Doughty

James Thrash Vernon Fox

Leigh Torrence

Justin Tryon

Defensive Linemen Linebackers Special Teams

Andre Carter London Fletcher Shawn Suisham -K

Kedric Golston Rocky McIntosh Durant Brooks- P

Anthony Montgomery Marcus Washington Ethan Albright

Erasmus James H.B Blades

Chris Wilson Khary Campbell

Cornelius Griffin Odell Thurman/Takeo Spikes

DT free agent

Rob Jackson

Not bad, but I've got a couple problems with it.

A. I'm not sure how many teams keep 4 running backs on the roster, but I doubt we'll do it. I'd nix Marcus Mason and plug in Lorenzo Alexander as a hybrid o-line/d-line (though I'm told they're focusing on guard for him).

B. I think Pete Schmitt will beat out Nemo as the backup FB. Just a guess though.

C. We'll probably need to carry 4 safeties. I think either Mix or Thrash will be gone so we can keep one of our rookie safeties. Or they'll cut Torrence.

D. No way in hell do we cut Philip Daniels. Blache just won't allow it, not with limited Demetric Evans, tiny Chris Wilson, gimpy Erasmus James and 7th round pick Rob Jackson as the other options. PD still has power and is the best run-stopper we have at DE. Put Jackson on the practice squad.

E. I'm 90% sure we aren't interested in Thurman or Spikes, for different reasons. Plug in Rian Wallace or one of our UDFAS at OLB.

QB: 3 Jason Campbell, Todd Collins, Colt Brennan

RB: 3 Clinton Portis, Ladel Betts, Eric Shelton

FB: 1 Mike Sellers

TE: 3 Chris Cooley, Fred Davis, Todd Yoder

WR: 6 Santana Moss, Devin Thomas, Antwan Randle El, Malcolm Kelly, Anthony Mix, James Thrash

OT: 4 Chris Samuels, Jon Jansen, Stephon Heyer, Todd Wade

OG: 4 Randy Thomas, Pete Kendall, Chad Rinehart, Jason Fabini

C: 2 Casey Rabach, Andrew Crummey

DE: 5 Andre Carter, Phillip Daniels, Chris Wilson, Erasmus James, Alex Buzbee

DT: 4 Cornelius Griffin, Anthony Montgomery, Kedric Gholston, Lorenzo Alexander

OLB: 4 Rocky McIntosh, Marcus Washington, Khary Campbell, Curtis Gatewood

MLB: 2 London Fletcher, HB Blades

CB: 5 Shawn Springs, Fred Smoot, Carlos Rogers, Justin Tryon, Matteral Richardson

FS: 2 Laron Landry, Vernon Fox

SS: 2 Reed Doughty, Kareem Moore

LS: 1 Ethan Albright

K: 1 Shaun Suisham

P: 1 Durant Brooks

In Bold are my suprises today and is subject to change. We will carry 5 DE's until Erasmus James is ready to play or is cut, thats where Buzbee comes in. Shelton was a 2nd round pick for the Panthers 2 years ago, could be one to watch. Crummey was a 3rd round projection until an injury, if he returns to full strength he will make this team with little depth to challenge. Gatewood is another prospect that could also be a rush defensive end, I like that versatility. Richardson was the best defender on a bad defensive team at Arkansas, winning or losing 45-40 every week hurt him, but teams stayed away from him most of the ti8me and attacked the other side with ease.

QB: 3 Jason Campbell, Todd Collins, Colt Brennan

RB: 3 Clinton Portis, Ladel Betts, Eric Shelton

FB: 1 Mike Sellers

TE: 3 Chris Cooley, Fred Davis, Todd Yoder

WR: 6 Santana Moss, Devin Thomas, Antwan Randle El, Malcolm Kelly, Anthony Mix, James Thrash

OT: 4 Chris Samuels, Jon Jansen, Stephon Heyer, Todd Wade

OG: 4 Randy Thomas, Pete Kendall, Chad Rinehart, Jason Fabini

C: 2 Casey Rabach, Andrew Crummey

DE: 5 Andre Carter, Phillip Daniels, Chris Wilson, Erasmus James, Alex Buzbee

DT: 4 Cornelius Griffin, Anthony Montgomery, Kedric Gholston, Lorenzo Alexander

OLB: 4 Rocky McIntosh, Marcus Washington, Khary Campbell, Curtis Gatewood

MLB: 2 London Fletcher, HB Blades

CB: 5 Shawn Springs, Fred Smoot, Carlos Rogers, Justin Tryon, Matteral Richardson

FS: 2 Laron Landry, Vernon Fox

SS: 2 Reed Doughty, Kareem Moore

LS: 1 Ethan Albright

K: 1 Shaun Suisham

P: 1 Durant Brooks

In Bold are my suprises today and is subject to change. We will carry 5 DE's until Erasmus James is ready to play or is cut, thats where Buzbee comes in. Shelton was a 2nd round pick for the Panthers 2 years ago, could be one to watch. Crummey was a 3rd round projection until an injury, if he returns to full strength he will make this team with little depth to challenge.

Actually, Crummey was projected to be a first day pick until his first injury.

I do think he makes the team and at only around 300 pounds, center might be a great spot for him to play. I agree with this call.

Feel like expanding at all on Eric Shelton?

I'd also love for Crummey to break the roster, a player able to back up for center and guard is awesome.

I could see Evans getting cut in favor of Buzbee should he impress in camp, we all know Williams liked him, but we'll see how it works out with him and Palermo.

I don't know why the hate for Daniels. He has lead the way for a top ten team that doesn't get run on, while being a team player and a leader.

I hope we don't cut Daniels.

Yeah I think his demise is being greatly exaggerated. He will start again, with Wilson and/or James coming in on passing situations.

Feel like expanding at all on Eric Shelton?

Eric Shelton - Not much is known about Shelton but here goes. He attended Florida State as a true freshman and and was 4th on the team in rushing and transferred to Louisville after not much playing time at FSU. After sitting out his sophomore season (due to the NCAA transferring rules) At Louisville, he set the school record for the most TDs in a season (20) and ranked 6th in the entire NCAA with 120 points scored, even scoring 5 TD's in one game. Shelton was a second round pick (54th overall) by the Carolina Panthers but spent the year on IR from an injury suffered in Carolina. He was only active for half the games in 2006 and was released in 2007. He is a very long shot at making the final 53 roster but could have a decent shot at cracking the practice squad if he shows he can regain his college form and put the injuries behind him.

...this is his part of the complete roster anaylsis im working on so i thought i would just post his now...expect the whole team a little bit later in the week ;)

Archived