Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

IYO...What will pay off HUGE in what we did/did not do, up to this point post draft?

michael_33

There are many things that we did or did not do,that could possibly shape the 2008 season if not the whole Franchise for the future...Here is the list(your welcome to add more)of the decisions/outcome of what has transpired up to this point of Monday April 28th. :2cents:

#1)"The 3 Imigos"=It was widely reported and confirmed that we were strongly after a "star" reciever for this season.We apparently were after Chad Johnson,Anquan Boldin and Roy Williams,who immediately would have been slotted as our #1 WR!However...It would have cost us anywhere from a 1st rounder to 2 1st rounders to aquire these players...(some say even more)A hefty price for even just 1 player added to a team with many holes no matter how good they are...The question is...How serious were we..?Were we turned down because the other organizations didn't want to part period with their "star" players or we (Redskins) just bluffing and making it costly for the rumored Eagles and Cowboys who wanted these guys too?Did the Eagles make that crazy "rape" trade with the Panthers to use one of their 2 09' 1st rounders to get one of them?If we are to assume that 1 of those 3 WR's would have cost us our 1st and 2nd round pick of this years draft,then it's obvious that we would have aquired Chad,Boldin or Roy(only 1 of them) for the price of Devin Thomas,Malcolm Kelly AND Fred Davis alltogether!If only one of our TOP notch picks turns out good(probowl caliber),then it will be argued that we made the right choice by not taking the high profile WR from any of those 3 teams(who are all older as well)...But if we hit on all 3..It could be the difference of continuing our mediocre pace of this Redskins franchise to realistic SuperBowl Caliber team!This could have been a franchise killer decision perhaps! :2cents: We shall see...

#2)"We need a pass rusher"=Some of us and myself included are a little miffed at not taking Calais Campbell at #48 where we took TE Fred Davis...Not so much because Fred isn't a good player,but because we had a chance to seriously upgrade a huge hole along the D-Line...We all know that Phillip Daniels is good against the run,but not a very good pass rusher...He also is getting long in the tooth and we lack very good depth there...Some like Wilson or hope Alex Buzzbee is the next great,but the fact remains that this franchise has neglected in looking for Bluechippers along the D-line,but rather hoping that 5th,6th or 7th round picks would blossom and become solid players...It's no secret that this defense has had to blitz it's LB's and CB's to give any pressure on the opposing QB's,while they make cell phone calls in the pocket!I don't know if drafting Kenard Lang has put a bad taste in the Organizations mouth for this long,or our defensive philosophy doesn't consider our D-line a weakness...But one thing I do know for sure!If we let Romo sits to pee,Eli and McNabb sit back in the pocket forever to find their targets,the absence of Sean Taylor will be felt once again in 09'!We made need everyone of our WR's/TE's to keep up with all the teams in the NFL! :2cents:

#3)"Slingin' Colt 45"=Everyone is enamored with the 2nd round steals we got this draft,but the one that catches my eye is that pick in the 6th round at #186...Make no mistake...this is not a Palmer pick here!Palmer sucked in College and we gave him a shot!Colt Brennon broke like 21 NCAA records playing for Hawaii in a system made for him and that team...Has 1 bad game against Georgia and all of sudden he drops almost out of the draft.Sure his decision making was not very good,but not only was he possible injured during that period(had surgery)but his O-line blocked like that commercial where hassleback is the QB and they all turn to midgets/kids...I'm not so sure that if he has a great game and they beat Georgia,that he isn't snagged in the 1st round or 2nd round (although projected a 2nd and 3rd round at that time before bowl game).So he falls all the way to the 6th round!Sure....If Colt Brennon sucks and Zorn can't mold him the way he would like to,it will be a wasted 6th round pick...(wooped-D-do)But what if this kid IS special?i won't compare to Tom Brady(6th rounder) cause it's way premature to do so...But Colt fits this West Coast system that Zorn is implementing PERFECTLY!We all want to think that Jason Campbell is great and I hope he is...But he does have to tendency to overthrow his recievers with his great arm!Now maybe our NEW WR core will improve that and make him great,but will you bet your house that it will?What's the hurt in having an emergency player like Colt to mold for the future?We know that Todd Collins is a servicable QB and backup,but is getting old...We also know what happens to Todd Collins when he implodes like he did in the Seattle playoff game,even though it was NOT all his fault!I will say this though....Before Gibbs got here,we already had Ramsey and we saw that ship sail pretty fast....Jason was handpicked by Gibbs and company and now Gibbs is gone just like Spurrier...Zorn hand picked this Colt kid for a reason!I sure hope that all of you are right about Campbell cause his leash just got a little bit shorter imo...Now Colt is rumored to be put on IR for the season,which is understandable with his surgery and we probably won't see him at all this season...But if Campbell doesn't at least have a decent year,with all the targets he's been given for the 08 season...then you will appreciate this Colt Brennon decision alot more if that time ever comes! :2cents: (could be the steal of the draft)

#4)"Recapping the Coach Zorn Hire"=I'm so glad we went after some new blood in this coaching hire...Sure there were more experienced candidates in Fossil,Billick,Shottenheimer,Marriucci,Cowher and others,but we got a guy from the Walsh tree and are molding him as our own...Sure he may not have had the appropriate experience to take on a mountain of a challenge,he may not have even have known what our actual colors are (Red and black) VS (Maroon and Gold/Yellow),but what he does know,is how to play QB as he did for so long for Seattle...He may not know when to challeng,he may not know what plays will work against certain defenses...Hell,he may not know which personal will fit his schemes...but I guarentee you,he will know what to say in the ears of Campbell,Collins and Colt!He will know how to show them where the ball should go,the timing of their throws,what not to do in certain situations and how to run an efficient hurry up offense when their behind Center...This team has kept everyone from last year that made the Playoffs...!I find it funny that when talked about who is dangerous in the NFC,the majority of it is on the Cowboys and Giants...Hell the Eagles are even considered a team that could sneak in there as well...We are considered a team rebuilding with a new coach with maybe some promise in the next 3 years at best...I say the HELL with all of them critics!We are team ready to compete THIS YEAR and will not lay down just because we are in a tough Division...I love Gibbs and always will....But if Someone were to ask me,what does Zorn offer the team,that Gibbs did not while he was here...?My answer would be "KILLER INSTINCT"I feel that Zorn is and will be on the attack on the offensive side of the ball,rather than keeping everything close to the vest...I get that vibe,not from just the way we drafted the offensive players...but just in the tone of his voice and the system he wants to implement!I have great vibes from this hire and even greater expectations with Coach Zorn....So as good as I hope our draft was,I think the best aquisition might be the one we overlook and that's the hire of Coach Zorn!(and who should we thank for that?) :):cheers: :2cents:

I like your post. For me, the good and the bad.

1) Good, moving down in a draft where the players at the end of the 1st round have similar talent to the one's in the second round.

2) Good, picking a WR. Cannot argue against it being a big need.

3) Picking the o-lineman in the 3rd round. Now if someone goes down (see recent past history), we should have a young, talented guy to step in, and start gaining experience. Hopefully he should be ready to displace one of the elder/more expensive member of the starting o-line next year.

4) Taking a CB. One starting CB requiring major knee surgery, one is getting old, has history of injuries, and is a big charge against the cap. It makes sense.

5) Taking a QB. By all means give Jason Campbell 1-2 more years to prove himself worthy (or not). But we needed a fall back plan in case he is not the long term answer.

Bad.

1) Not addressing the D-Line. 7th round picks are a lottery in my eyes. We had a major need in my eyes. Taking a TE, instead of one of the remaining defensive linemen was not smart. A back-up/ second TE for a 2 TE formation could have been taken later. Unless we are planning to run 2-TE formation as a base offense. (in which case why the 2 WRs??)

2) Taking two wide receivers in the second. Once we had Hester, why not address the fact that one of our OLBs is recovering from knee surgery and the other is getting old/more injury prone?

3) Not taking Owen Schmitt, he sounds like a tough nosed SOB, who every team needs.

Generally more good than bad.

1. Very serious, a known quantity is usually preferred to the unknown of the draft. As far as I know neither RW, CJ, or AB changed teams.

2. I disagree, DE wasn't our issue last year, it was being worn down in the center or being unable to get push up the gut. Hasselbech had all time in the world to step up and throw. We need a DT, but there weren't many that I thought were sure fits. BTW I did not want Campbell before the 3rd Round. I'd have considered Groves maybe, but no not Campbell.

3. Palmer was pretty good in college, and was also a system QB as I recall. So I think you are wrong there. COlt may have broken records, but you need a line, and you need time to learn the new system.

4. Amen I love Zorn, and I felt Zorny all weekend.

Edit:

Apologies, I meant to edit out that huge Bulk of text.

The positives:

1) Moving out of the first round to get the player you want in the second round was a great move, especially gaining a second round pick.

2) Devin Thomas and Malcolm Kelly will be fine players for this team - getting them both is a good thing.

3) I have had a problem with our punter for the last three years, and I am always wondering why they keep re-signing him. I can punt the ball 40 yards if it bounces for twelve of those as well as Frost...so I'm glad they drafted a guy with a leg...

4) An O-Lineman in the 4th round - wow - we actually addressed a need. I know nothing about him, but the fact that they looked at the O-Line is a positive...

5) Addressing the secondary was a must, and this new CB is definitely spunky - Smoot may lose to this guy in trash talking...

Negatives

1) A tight end in the second round? Are you kidding me? Please pinch me and wake me up...I wish the best for the new Mr. Davis - especially as he gets in the game for a handful of plays. If he takes time from Cooley, then they are more foolish than I think they might be...Don't get me wrong...if Davis is there in the third round, it would be a lot easier to swallow, but our second pick? Arer you kidding me? They can justify it all they want - great pass catcher, led USC, two TE sets, I DON"T CARE! This is a terrible pick. There were FAR greater needs to address at that point.

2) No D-Linemen until the 7th round...Quick trivia question - When was the last time the Redskins drafted a defensive lineman before the 5th round in the draft? Kenard Lang in 1997 (1st rounder). In fact, during that span, the skins have only taken a handful (6 - including this year) of defensive linemen. And to break it down a little further, out of those 6 players, only three were defensive tackles. Two of those are still on the team - Montgomery and Golston. With aging Cornelius Griffin, who is a very good player, you would think that this position would have been addressed. It is BY FAR their biggest weakness. We know Calais Campbell was available, but how about Quentin Groves and Jason Jones - both went later in the second round. Quentin Groves would have been great value where they got Davis as well. When you have no picks at this position in 11 drafts before the 5th round, then you'd better make sure free agents are wooed into the locker room, and we all know how that's gone for the Skins...

Earth to Vinny: WE NEED BIG UGLIES TO HELP OUR TEAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!DRAFT THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3) A tight end in the second round? Are you kidding me? See point 1 for an explanation.

4) We needed depth at DB, but they drafted three of them and again ONE defensive end. See point 2 for more explanation on the defensive lline.

5) A tight end in the second round? Are you kidding me? See point 1 for an explanation.

We did two really good things. We traded down and still got the guys that we wanted for less money!

Also, we created a board and stuck with it. We didn't take a lower rated a player at a "need" position who wasn't going to unseat our starters anyway.

I would have liked to get more line help but not at the risk of taking a fifth round rated player in the fourth round.

Good thought for a thread:

THE GOOD:

1. Kudos to Vinny to avoid the big splash and trade out of the first round and still get a WR he wanted.

2. We got the best punter in the draft, one who can boot it 50+ yards and yet still have the accuracy to pooch kick inside the 20. He can make the field longer for the opposition in close games.

3. We got the best TE in the draft. Not who I would have picked and definitely not a positon of need, but face it. We now have the best depth at TE since Donnie Warren and Clint Didier. Also, with his size (6'3, 245), he might be used as a Sellers backup. For a TE, his 4.7 40 time is also very good.

4. We got 2 of the best WR in the draft and they're all over 6' tall. At the very least I won't have to listen to another "We need a tall WR" thread when I'm expounding on our need for youth on the OL.

5. We overcame the small college bias and picked up Rinehart at guard. This guy, with a little bit of Buges fundamentals, could be the steal of the draft. ALthough he may not be starting on day one, you might see him by the start of the second half (of the first game, not the season). And, like all OL, he could be a force on our OL for 8 to 10 years.

6. We got a QB that, if he had been healthy, may have been a top 5 QB in the draft. In the 6th round, even if he never played a down, we haven't risked much. This pick is long on potential and short on what it cost us - a good combo.

7. The lack of DL help has only one good point, so I have to mention it. This makes this a make or break year for Golston and Montgomery. Time to prove they deserve to be here or time to plan on being relegated to depth after next years draft. Time for Chris Wilson to step up and develop into that DE we always hoped we'd have. If we had picked either DT's or DE's that development would have never come. So if there's a silver lining here on the lack of drafting a DL, this is it.

8. And most important: We don't have to pay first round money for any of these guys. Holdouts on second round-picks are few and far between. They don't come with first round attitudes and they could all come in with chips on their shoulders to show other teams what they missed out on. Attitude can make a difference between good and great.

THE BAD:

1. Where is our backup center? With Pucillo gone, Rabach has no backup. You can't play the game with only one center and I don't think Rinehart has ever played center. The two best centers were both drafted by the Colts (Pollak and Justice both went to Indianapolis) and one will be moved to guard. But if Rabach gets injured, we have no one.

2. TE? (I know, I listed it as good also.) I know it's good to have the luxury of two good pass-catching TE's, but when the OL has such glaring need, it makes you wonder why. It's like BPA took over and made them go stupid. Time will tell if they were stupid or saw something almost everyone else didn't.

3. OL? They bet the farm that our existing OL will stay healthy. With the exception of Rinehart (who is a stellar pick in my opinion), they didn't address the OL at all. It's a big bet, and I don't like the long odds of our existing OL staying healthy or last year's backups making major improvements.

Still, I feel it's more good than bad. I'm looking at this like the 1980 draft, when they got Art Monk. Then in '81 they got May, Grimm, Manley and Grant. Maybe we can make history repeat. I wanted more OL and I wanted some DL, but they don't take as long to develop as WR do, so if the long shot bet of the OL staying healthy couples with some improvement from the aforementioned Golston, Montgomery and Wilson on DL, maybe we have something. The Homer in me says it could, and the realist? I guess I'll just beat him into submission.

Dallas took that TE Bennett in the 2nd round!!!!!!!!!! They already have Whitten!!!!!!!!!!!!! Nobody is criticizing them?

And why would we draft Owen Schmitt? We already have Mike Sellars!!!!!!!!!!

Nobody's criticizing Dallas, because they were 13-3, and they pretty much have fewer needs than we do - especially on the lines...

Fred Davis was a TERRIBLE pick!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Archived