Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Danny and Vinny have no backup plan at WR

Hooper

I'd rather not draft a WR in the first -- none, in my mind, are quite first round quality. I like the players in that range, but think they're second round guys I'd rather see us not pay first round dough.

Last years 21st pick: Nelson, all All-American at nearby Florida and the 21st overall pick in the April draft, signed a five-year deal worth $13.2 million. The contract includes $7.1 million guaranteed.

That's not alot of money you are mistaking picks 1-10 those are where you have to cough up a sh*t load of money! 21 is managable even for our cap situation.:2cents:

Trades like what we offered for CJ should only be made by teams missing one piece (WR). The Skins are missing several pieces. We need to fill those holes cheaply through the draft. Snyder and Vinny are clueless. They are a joke and it sucks we have them running our favorite team.

And we can't fill them with 8 picks???

It was nice not seeing this board in freak-out mode for a while. Oh well.

Miz will be given his shot, and the draft will be used to solve the missing piece at WR. Obviously the Skins aren't thrilled with the WR class this year, which is why they are inquiring about trading for an already proven one (CJ and Boldin). We also have guys on PS that could come in and contribute. The likelihood of that is small, but it is a plan.

Hackett and B Johnson have some concerns, maybe they would have been worth a shot, maybe not. The team feels they weren't worth a shot, and moved on. With Moss, ARE, and Cooley on the field we already have some good threats. We need a more physical WR to complement the group, whether it is through the draft or a trade doesn't matter so long as we don't give up too much in a trade, or so long as we draft a good WR and don't reach for one in any round.

Ahh, a voice of reason in these turbulent times.

And we can't fill them with 8 picks???

We would probably end up losing 2 # 1 picks. I'm guessing next year our pick will be top 15. Also, don't forget about the $$$$$$$$ involved with 85. We would be strapped down even more with very little chance of signing quality backups.

Does anyone remember last year when the Skins actually had to try converting a DL because we had no backups left on the O-Line. Riggins was talking about this yesterday as well. We had no money to pay quality backups. We had a few and that's it. We are a thin team and giving big money to a old receiver is stupid. It would be nice in a few years to have money avialable to re-sign our own players as well. Learn from your mistakes people.

We probably should have made a bigger push to keep Caldwell but other than that, I think we're fine wether we trade for a guy or draft one. I'd actually prefer the trade as rookie receivers are almost never instant contributors. (not that our trades and FAs have all worked well either)

Definitely yet another bone headed move by the FO.

Hackett signed with Car for 1.5mil .... thats nothing. We could have grabbed him for a piece of mind as we have no proven WRs other then Moss and El. At barely over vet min he is worth the risk.. in fact i think he was a steal.

Now, i agree that on draft day skins will break the bank on CJ.. and while i like him.. skins will get raped .. so not at "bleeding from behind" cost.

We would probably end up losing 2 # 1 picks. I'm guessing next year our pick will be top 15. Also, don't forget about the $$$$$$$$ involved with 85. We would be strapped down even more with very little chance of signing quality backups.

Does anyone remember last year when the Skins actually had to try converting a DL because we had no backups left on the O-Line. Riggins was talking about this yesterday as well. We had no money to pay quality backups. We had a few and that's it. We are a thin team and giving big money to a old receiver is stupid. It would be nice in a few years to have money avialable to re-sign our own players as well. Learn from your mistakes people.

1 this year that still makes 8 for 2008, right? We have the money to do the deal it's been posted in one of these threads that we have restructured contracts and can spread that money out over years( read it somewhere in here). The 2nd round and down picks don't demand high end contracts not so much of a big risk.

Current Status

2008 Cap Fees for Redskins' Top 51: $103.8

2008 Redskins Dead Cap Money: $6.9

2008 Redskins Cap Total: $110.7

2008 NFL Salary Cap - Adjusted for WAS LTBE: $118.5

Current 2008 Redskins Cap Room: $7.8

Pending Transactions - savings(hit)

Brandon Lloyd Cut as of June 1, Cap Savings to be Realized on June 1: $2.4

2008 Redskins Cap Room after Pending Transactions: $10.2 million

Expected Transactions - savings(hit)

Cornelius Griffin - Basic Restructure of 2008 Base Salary: $2.6

Casey Rabach - Basic Restructure of 2008 Base Salary: $1.4

Ladell Betts - Basic Restructure of 2008 Roster Bonus: $1.7

Todd Wade - Waived Prior to June 1: $0.7

Total Savings(hit) From Expected Transactions: $6.4

2008 Redskins Cap Room after Expected Transactions: $16.6 million

Other Ways to Reduce the Cap Number:

• Extend or cut Shawn Springs
  • Extend or cut Pete Kendall

We have the money to get the deal done!

You know in that rumored trade offer, that they'd only get the 1st rounder not only on how CJ performed, but also how the team performed, right?

While there weren't any details, I'm sure that if we were in a situation where we had a top 15 pick next year that the Bengals probably wouldn't get it.

I agree with the contract problem, tho.

Jason

OK, let's put on our thinking caps for a second before we bash. DJ Hackett, in effect, played for Jim Zorn and we offered him a vet minimum. Seems to me that if a coach who knows Hackett was well as anyone values him that way, we're not really in a position to suggest that the team should have outbid Carolina. I mean, c'mon -- give these guys SOME credit. Bashing the FO with the same anti-logic over and over again just erases any possible credibility you might have.

21 is managable even for our cap situation

It's all relative, isn't it? If you don't want to reach for a Merling or a C. Campbell or Sweed, you don't want to reach -- especially when you have 9 picks. I don't fault them for wanting to get out of Round 1 (if that's really what they want).

Look at the receivers on our roster.

Moss. A very borderline one who is an injury risk.

ARE. A borderline two who is an injury risk.

Thrash. We all love him, but he was a journeyman three years ago.

Pardon me, but isn't EVERY player in the NFL technically considered an "injury risk"? :cool:

OK, let's put on our thinking caps for a second before we bash. DJ Hackett, in effect, played for Jim Zorn and we offered him a vet minimum. Seems to me that if a coach who knows Hackett was well as anyone values him that way, we're not really in a position to suggest that the team should have outbid Carolina. I mean, c'mon -- give these guys SOME credit. Bashing the FO with the same anti-logic over and over again just erases any possible credibility you might have.

How does that thought process work for the Archuletta or Lloyd trade? I mean its the coaches job to evaluate players.. yet they make some horrible decision still + giving up draft choices.

We don't even know how much pull Zorn has in bringing players in. Maybe he wanted him but FO said no.

Hacked could have been had for very cheap while not giving up any picks.

Now Skins want to give away their 1st round pick and next years potential 1st + 21mil guaranteed to a malcontent 30y old WR.

No doubt CJ is more talented.. but at what cost?

Only time will tell with Hacket.. i think he'll do well and will make his presence felt even if he only stays healthy only half the season.

Hmm... I thought we were praising the FO for the hard stance they took in FA?

There will be June 1st cuts. Trade can still happen after the draft. Frankly, they'll know infinitely more about this team next week after the draft.

We rounded out our WR corps last year too. McCardell and Caldwell were late additions. If Mix and the (probably four- one or two drafed, a couple undrafted) rookie WRs fail to impress, we'll bring in cheap options to get by.

I don't have a problem with the roster as it stands now. I have a potential problem if they don't use the draft to get younger, deeper, and better.

Look at the receivers on our roster.

Moss. A very borderline one who is an injury risk.

ARE. A borderline two who is an injury risk.

Thrash. We all love him, but he was a journeyman three years ago.

MIX. Um?

Why didn't we play it safe and sign a guy like Hackett? Or Bryan Johnson? Neither commanded a lot of money. Now we're in the position that if we don't pull off a trade for CJ or Boldin, we'll have to count on a rookie or Mix contributing significantly and neither is a safe bet.

I really just don't know what they were thinking. And now I'm afraid they're going to make the Bengals an offer they can't refuse on draft day for a 30 year old receiver who is a cancer in the locker room. Hopefully the Bengals somehow do refuse it and we get the Cardinals to accept it -- at least Boldin is only 26 and, you know, sane.

If we would have signed Hackett, you would said the samething... borderline that guy doesn't stay healthy ever. They are trying to get a WR... there is none decent enough that are FA. Drafting a WR in 1st round is not a bad idea and they must be looking into that.

Apparently Chad Johnson is the missing piece for a Redskins Superbowl.

He most likely is. But you can substitute CJ's name w/ Williams or another proven WR. CJ in Washington and 8 picks this year to shore up the oline and DE/DT position could take a playoff team w/ 22 returning starters to the SB. Hell, look who won it last year?!?!?

:applause: Exactly. If Hackett was the man, Zorn would have got it done. Evidently, he wasn't the man.

Moss and ARE missed time last year and we survived. I think Zorn can do the same thing if not more with the receivers we have.

Well it would be nearly impossible for Zorn to do any worse than how we did last year. Our wide receiver combined for 7 td's and only the Bills had less (6). As it stands we have one of the worst wide receiving groups in the NFL. A depth chart of Moss and Thrash starting, with ARE in the slot and McMullen/Mix as the backups is a complete joke.

Archived