Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFL.com: Malcolm Kelly critical of OU after poor pro day results

blitzpackage

NORMAN, Okla. -- Wide receiver Malcolm Kelly lashed out at Oklahoma on Wednesday after a disappointing performance in a 40-yard dash in front of NFL scouts.

Kelly, who left Oklahoma after his junior season, blamed his slow time of 4.68 seconds on an unexpected change in surfaces at his pro day.

"This is my life. You know what I'm saying? This ain't no school. This ain't no classroom. This ain't got nothing to do with that," Kelly said. "This has to do with me; my family. This is what I do. I play football. And I'm supposed to come out here and run as fast as I can."

Kelly skipped Oklahoma's original pro timing day last month while recuperating from a tear in his quadriceps, and said he had arranged with Oklahoma strength coach Jerry Schmidt to run on the Astroturf infield at the indoor track.

He said he was surprised when he arrived and found out he'd instead be running on the artificial turf inside the Sooners' indoor football facility.

"I already had everything set up for where I want to do it at," Kelly said. "I get out here and it's a whole different deal."

"Just a little bit of time could mean a whole lot of draft money."

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story?id=09000d5d807adeab&template=with-video&confirm=true

I'm just not so sure about this guy. Some of his comments about it are a put off for me, though there is some merit to his statements. I think he just could have worded it differently. He is visiting the Skins among other teams soon and says he will run again for anyone who asks.

That's so weak. He's pointing fingers at everyone but himself, and then taking jabs at the training staff for improperly diagnosing his leg injury? Come on man, get over yourself and stop placing blame on anyone you can think of. Accept the fact that you may need to run on grass at some point and suck it up.

"This ain't school. This ain't no class."

Oh no. It's clearly far more important than something silly like school.

I wish there was video of this. Could be gold for a YouTube guy to splice this with Iverson's "we talking about practice."

http://oklahoma.rivals.com/video.asp?section=football&sid=895&vidtype=publisher&vidid=4040

Only seems to work in IE.

guys, lets get real. for these dudes, school is absolutely worthless. the amount of time and effort they spend on football, physical workouts, training with the team, studying the playbooks, practicing constantly, is their version of school. these dudes pretty much major in football. i know some find that wrong or bad, but thats the way it is. these dudes work hard so they can make enough money for it to last their entire life, because once football is up, so is their financial production. if anybody has the average salary for a retired NFL player, please post it.

point blank, he obviously feels he trained on a different surface, showed up and was handed another set of rules, and ran a weak 40. youd be pissed off too if you were a 21 year old kid whos future hinged on how fast he could run 40 yards. cut the dude some slack.

I love how even if he makes the league minimum at $285,000 which is probably more than a medical doctor makes he is still concerned about providing for his family. I wish I had that problem.

difference is a doctor can make that for 40 years. the average football player lasts a few years. these kids arent dumb, they know theyre not gonna be making any money after football.

guys, lets get real. for these dudes, school is absolutely worthless.

Tell that to all the duds that drop out of the league after one year. I'm not saying this kid won't be good. But there are a ton of "what if's" in life. Placing all your chips on one number isn't a good idea. Maybe paying attention to what was probably a free tution should have been a priority.

difference is a doctor can make that for 40 years. the average football player lasts a few years. these kids arent dumb, they know theyre not gonna be making any money after football.

There are plenty of players that make money and have succesful bussinesses after football. They aren't probably ever going to make the same amount of money they did. But if they are smart and know what they are doing, there is plenty of money to be made.

guys, lets get real. for these dudes, school is absolutely worthless. the amount of time and effort they spend on football, physical workouts, training with the team, studying the playbooks, practicing constantly, is their version of school. these dudes pretty much major in football. i know some find that wrong or bad, but thats the way it is. these dudes work hard so they can make enough money for it to last their entire life, because once football is up, so is their financial production. if anybody has the average salary for a retired NFL player, please post it.

point blank, he obviously feels he trained on a different surface, showed up and was handed another set of rules, and ran a weak 40. youd be pissed off too if you were a 21 year old kid whos future hinged on how fast he could run 40 yards. cut the dude some slack.

I'm more than aware of this, and I actually wish the NCAA and the public in general were more willing to accept this version of reality.

I actually think he's right to be a little upset, under the ridiculous scouting system the NFL employs, a non-issue such as this may have just cost him a few 100K.

But the reality is, so did these comments. Now he's a receiver who ran a sub-par 40 time and has a bit of an attitude.

I don't think for the life of me that he should become a philosophy major and live in the library. The school gets plenty out of Malcolm Kelly and he in turn uses them to achieve his profession (just like I did in college with my profession and just as doctors, lawyers, or engineers do with theirs). However, it would be nice to understand that the athletes realize the situation they've been afforded, and the intense value an education has to a few million other people on this planet. (It would also be nice if colleges agreed to gurantee players' scholarships even if they leave early, but that's a different conversation).

Good point. But if he's only worried about money right now, his head is already in the wrong place. Even though minimum salary escalates with each year of experience with a 5 year minimum of $595,000 and a 10 year minimum of $820,000, this guy has the wrong attitude and what he don't realize is he probably lost more money with this interview. You are right though, with this money talk he's already acquiesced failure even before the draft.

So I'm not ready to cut him any slack just yet.

There are plenty of players that make money and have succesful bussinesses after football. They aren't probably ever going to make the same amount of money they did. But if they are smart and know what they are doing, there is plenty of money to be made.
Tell that to all the duds that drop out of the league after one year. I'm not saying this kid won't be good. But there are a ton of "what if's" in life. Placing all your chips on one number isn't a good idea. Maybe paying attention to what was probably a free tution should have been a priority.

obviously there are guys who have success afterwards, but there are tons who have no skills aside from football. ive seen the number posted for the average salary of an ex nfl player, i wish someone had it.

and i agree putting all your chips there is bad, but its not my choice. i wouldnt do it that way, but some do and i understand what theyre trying to do. its a risk like anything else. its like every musician or actor that moves out to LA with nothing in order to "make it". for every one success theres a ton of failures. risks are risks.

obviously there are guys who have success afterwards, but there are tons who have no skills aside from football. ive seen the number posted for the average salary of an ex nfl player, i wish someone had it.

and i agree putting all your chips there is bad, but its not my choice. i wouldnt do it that way, but some do and i understand what theyre trying to do. its a risk like anything else. its like every musician or actor that moves out to LA with nothing in order to "make it". for every one success theres a ton of failures. risks are risks.

But it makes no sense. If you're telling me that Malcolm Kelley had to dedicate all his spare time to becoming a good football player. Then I agree. But If has god given talents and could've spent some time learning while at college, then I don't get it. Why not take an opportunity given to you?

Is he just dumb? If he's stupid I get it.

First of all, the guy is a beast at 6-4, 227. Sure, 4.68 isn't great, but I'll bet if you timed Anquan Boldin now he wouldn't be much better and he's one of the better recievers.

Just to put it in perspective, let's say he drops to Buffalo in the second. A comparable pick was Dwayne Jarrett at pick #45 last year. His contract guarantees $1.935 million which is an increase of 7.5% over LenDale White from the year before. Jarrett also gets an additional $225,000 in workout bonuses on top of his salary. What 21 year old wouldn't be grinning from ear to ear with that opportunity and salary?

I think that's all Malcolm Kelly needs is a little perspective and I'm sure every scout is taking a look at his "character" that came seeping out during his sour grapes interview and it cost him more. Who knows though, maybe he'll still be the first WR off the board.

"This is my life. You know what I'm saying? This ain't no school. This ain't no classroom. This ain't got nothing to do with that," Kelly said. "This has to do with me; my family. This is what I do. I play football. And I'm supposed to come out here and run as fast as I can."

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

I don't know what he's mad about. He ran as fast as he could. 4.68. Now he'll really have to play ball in the NFL rather than sit back and not give any effort until the contract year. Earn that big contract Malcolm.

You know, we should tell Malcolm that we plan to draft him at #21. Then come draft day, have someone switch Danny's pen with a pencil and when it comes time to write Malcolm's name on the card, Danny will not be able to do it since he spent all his time preparing to write with a pen, and is unable to write "Malcolm Kelly" with a pencil.

But it will be all good right Malcolm, because it's not Danny's fault someone switched his pen for a pencil, right?

EDIT: I now finally see what it is with this guy, why so many Skins fan like him. If we can't trade for a prima donna whinny WR like Ocho, we should draft one instead. It all makes perfect sense now.

Archived