Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Ben Watson Injured By A Roy Williams Horse-Collar

DWinzit

Ben Watson Injured By A Roy Williams Horse-Collar

The Boston Herald's Karen Guregian writes that "according to one source, there is now some concern whether Watson will be ready for training camp in July." That's potentially news, but the perhaps more noteworthy is how Watson was hurt in the first place. Watson injured the ankle during the second quarter of the Pats' 48-27 Week 6 win at Dallas on Oct. 14. He caught a pass and was dragged down from behind by Cowboys safety Roy Williams. He missed the next two games before returning in Week 9 against Indianapolis. Watson was also inactive two of the last three games of the regular season after reaggravating the injury in the Pittsburgh game. Ah, yes, Roy Williams, the guy who has made a good living out of ending other players' careers via the ol' horse-collar tackle.

Source: NFL Fanhouse

Seriously, I think that everyone is over Roy Williams and his horse collaring. He has injured 2 players now with that. And its obvious that the fines arent bothering him, maybe we need to take it to the next level and suspend him after so many in one season.

Seriously, I think that everyone is over Roy Williams and his horse collaring. He has injured 2 players now with that.
At least two players in the pro's. It makes me wonder who many he may have injured in high school and college.
And its obvious that the fines arent bothering him, maybe we need to take it to the next level and suspend him after so many in one season.
To go along with all the career illegal tackles, it took 3 times last season for him to FINALLY be suspended for a game. I believe the league will escalate the suspension for every future horse-collar.

You know, this is actually almost funny to me....

Thirty years ago this would have been dealt with by the players, not the league. He'd have had somebody put a helmet on his knee, then look down at him as he's laying there holding his knee in absolute pain and say something like "That's for knocking our RB out of the game with that *****-ass tackling style of yours." the next season when Williams came back from the injury he'd remember it and probably fix the problem.

Thirty years ago this would have been dealt with by the players, not the league. He'd have had somebody put a helmet on his knee, then look down at him as he's laying there holding his knee in absolute pain and say something like "That's for knocking our RB out of the game with that *****-ass tackling style of yours."

You're exactly right here MSF. Players should deal with it themselves. Im really shocked that TO isnt saying something to him after what he did to him.

Thirty years ago this would have been dealt with by the players, not the league. He'd have had somebody put a helmet on his knee, then look down at him as he's laying there holding his knee in absolute pain and say something like "That's for knocking our RB out of the game with that *****-ass tackling style of yours." the next season when Williams came back from the injury he'd remember it and probably fix the problem.

It is true. However, since there are now too many unnecessary rules protecting the player, the best plan of punishment now is to keep suspending him. I don't think any team will like to have a player who will miss 8 games a season and not due to injury.

If he continues to horse collar guys, then he needs to be sat down for a good length of time. The fines must not be getting through to him, so suspension is the only alternative.

I'm sure Dallas won't miss him much on pass plays anyways. He can't cover anyone, so he's pretty much M.I.A. out there anyway. :D

If he continues to horse collar guys' date=' then he needs to be sat down for a good length of time. The fines must not be getting through to him, so suspension is the only alternative.

I'm sure Dallas won't miss him much on pass plays anyways. He can't cover anyone, so he's pretty much M.I.A. out there anyway. :D[/quote']Dallas and their fans seems to be waking to the realization Roy is a liability in coverage. They are also growing concerned with his propensity for the horse-collar. They know they are a tackle away from probably loosing him for a multiple same suspension.

What sucks is that Roy Williams is a great guy who does all kinds of positive things for his community. He never speaks ignorant and has never been in any kind of off field incident. I really respect him as a fellow human and at one time was the hardest hitter in the league. But he just has this nasty habit that never was broken.

Dallas and their fans seems to be waking to the realization Roy is a liability in coverage. They are also growing concerned with his propensity for the horse-collar. They know they are a tackle away from probably loosing him for a multiple same suspension.

I'll say. I've heard a Cowboys fan call him Roy the Girl after the Giants beat them in the playoffs. I don't know why since he didn't do anything in that game. Cowboys fans no longer defend Roy Williams to the death.

If you are looking for any of us Dallas fans to dispute this post you are wasting you time....I agree Roy needs to be suspended for the season or expelled from the league if he does it again.....

I think thats the one thing both sides can agree to. Its just a bad habit and he needs to either learn or move on.

If you are looking for any of us Dallas fans to dispute this post you are wasting you time....I agree Roy needs to be suspended for the season or expelled from the league if he does it again.....

Again? He's already had dozens of chances to be better.

He should be out for 2008.

thats a point i didnt even think of billy kilmer. and i bet you are right on the money with it too. they know he has lost a step and they have to pay him so much that it would probably be best if he just got suspended
I would be willing to strike up a deal with Dallas on this issue. The league suspends Williams, but the Cowboys still have to pay him. I think that's fair.

I would be willing to strike up a deal with Dallas on this issue. The league suspends Williams, but the Cowboys still have to pay him. I think that's fair.

While I agree because any chance to see JJ suffer and squirm is a great idea I dont think it is their responsibility to pay for his mistakes.

They arent teaching him or instructing him to tackle like that. He just has this stupid ass habit that he wont let go of.

While I agree because any chance to see JJ suffer and squirm is a great idea I dont think it is their responsibility to pay for his mistakes.

They arent teaching him or instructing him to tackle like that. He just has this stupid ass habit that he wont let go of.

That we know of.........

I have never seen a coach get in his face about it either. Either the Tuna got soft on players doing stupid **** to hurt the team orrrrrrrrrrrrr..........

Just sayin thats all.

What pisses me off most is when the other team doesn't retaliate when Williams does that to one of their players. Rodney Harrison(or another Patriot D player) should've done that to Witten. Same thing happened to CP in the '05 game at home. RW horse collared him and CP was slow to get up. Of course CP got his own revenge when he flipped his over later on in the game.

That's one thing I love about baseball. You **** with one of our players, we **** with one of yours.

Archived