Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Player by position need analysis: Defense

Walking Deadman

So here is a breakdown position and what we need/where we will go in the draft. It's long so, This is for Defense and ST on this thread.

The offense can be found here.

http://www.extremeskins.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5026009#post5026009

This is my opinion, so if you don't like it you can blame me.

Background

I'm using the current redskins roster on redskins.com

Many of my basic knowledge is coming with some help from NFL Draft Countdown and the Pro Football Weekly draft guide as well as everything else I'm following on TV, Radio, internet and print media and my football knowledge as well.

I will be grading need on a 1-5 scale (1 being least need 5 being most need). Since we actually have all 22 starters returning don't expect a 5 for any position.

This analysis also assumes no trades will happen before the draft and that we will get 2 compensory picks (3rd and 7th round).

SAFETY

CURRENT PLAYERS: Laron Landry, Reed Doughty, Vernon Fox

TEAM NEED: 3

TN Analysis: At one point in the 2007 season, the Redskins had possibly the best safety tandem in the league and it was showing. Sean Taylor was having a career high in INTs and was headed to the Pro Bowl and Laron Landry was making his mark in the NFL as a nasty hitter with a mean streak. Then Taylor gets injured (knee) and the team struggles. Only a few weeks later Taylor is tragically killed in his home by robbers leaving a void. Reed Doughty steps up and replaces Landry at SS and Landry fill Taylors spot at FS. This new tandem proved to be effective and is the current starters. Currently Vernon Fox is the only back-up and he is more valued as a STer than a saftey.

Projected Rounds: 5th-7th/UDFA

Possible Players: Tyrell Johnson, Josh Barrett, Quentin Demps, DJ Wolfe

Conclusion: Another poor draft class in general with no amazing talent like a Landry, Taylor, Huff etc. Despite need, it would be stupid for the Skins to draft a safety at #21 if only for the ties to Taylor. Landry and Doughty have looked pretty good at their spots. What the Skins need is depth and the Skins have proven they can do well with late rounders like a Doughty. Expect the skins to look in FA for depth and maybe a late rounder to develop. CB is a more important need. Also expect Shawn Springs to occasionally help out at S but not move there permanetly (he still is the clear cut #1 corner on the team despite age/injury concerns)

CORNER

CURRENT PLAYERS: Shawn Springs, Fred Smoot, Carlos Rogers, Leigh Torrence, John Eubanks, Byron Westbrook, Cedric Holt, Eddie Jackson

TEAM NEED: 4

TN Analysis: Currently the Redskins have only 2 starting caliber corners on the roster. Carlos Rogers, while having a good year was severely injured in the Patriots game tearing multiple ligaments. He will miss training camp and not be available until Sept.-Oct. Even then, it takes time for a player to full recover for ligament damages and will probably be limited to nickle/dime duty in 2008. Shawn Springs, when healthy, is a #1 shutdown corner. But health and personal issues will continue to be a concern for the aging corner. Fred Smoot came back to DC and did what he does best play #2 corner and overachieve. He also has issues with injury as he makes big plays/hits/tackles with his smaller frame. Lee Torrence played well in spot duty at nickle but that is about the most he can do. The others wll fight for a roster spot either as depth or PS.

Projected Rounds: 1st-3rd, 5th

Possible players: Dominique Rogers-Cromartie, Patrick Lee, Aqib Talib, Branden Flowers, Charles Godfrey, Tracey Porter

Conclusion: With Springs getting older (and having a large contract) and with Rogers future being a question mark, the Redskins will probably look for a CB in the first three rounds to be our future #1 CB. This year, barring injury he can start as our nickle and work his way into being a starter. This is a pretty decent draft class and I excluded a few of the higher prospects because I believe Jenkins and McKelvin will be gone by #21. The Skins may also look for depth via FA maybe going after a Ty Law for cheap (but only for cheap). Either way expect the Skins to draft a corner in the first three rounds.

LINEBACKER

CURRENT PLAYERS: Marcus Washington, Rocky McIntosh, London Fletcher, HB Blades, Khary Campbell, Matt Sinclair, Danny Verdun-Wheeler, Rian Wallace

TEAM NEED: 2

TN Analysis: This is actually tough and I could argue whether the need is actually a 2 or a 3 based on what the depth does and how well the corps stays healthy. Washington struggled all year with injuries adn he's getting older. McIntosh suffered a knee injury at the end of the season, but should be back for training camp. Fletcher had another dominating season. Blades and Campbell filled in for injures even though Blades is being groomed as a STer and the heir apparant to Fletcher and Campbell is primarily a STer. Sinclair is primarily a STer only and the others will fight for a roster spot as depth.

Projected Rounds: 5th-7th, UDFA

Possible Players:Brian Kehl, Ezra Butler, Wesly Woodyard, Curtis Gatewood

Conclusion: If McIntosh is fine and Washington is healthy, there is little need of this position and expect the Skins to aim more for later rounds or UDFA or a cheap FA (maybe a vet like Godfrey was in 2007). If there is health concerns maybe a 5th rounder but we'll also have to see what Verdun-Wheeler and others will do. Redskins seem pretty happy with the corps right now based on no interest in former Skin Lemar Marshall.

DEFENSIVE TACKLE

CURRENT PLAYERS: Lorenzo Alexander, Matthias Askew, Ryan Boschetti, Kedrick Golston, Cornelius Griffin, Anthony Montgomery

TN Analysis: Lots of depth at the position but limited starting caliber talent. Griffin when healthy is dominant in the position but health is an issue. Montgomery has become the big run stuffer that the Redskins have looked for but he is still developing to be more dominant. Golston was a starter in 2006 but struggled. He has become an excellent STer in blocking FG/Extra points. Alexander and Boschetti are overacheiving depth guys. Askew will fight for a roster spot.

Projected rounds: 1st-3rd, 5th

Possible Players: Kentwan Balmer,Trevor Laws, Pat Sims, Dre Moore, Frank Okam

Conclusion: After Dorsey and Ellis the level of talent drops off in this class. A few players were excluded based on what the Redskins are looking for (an inside pass rush/penetration). Balmer looks like a bust to me. This will probably addressed in the 3rd round with a Okam, Laws or Moore is my guess. Philip Daniels could be moved inside on passing situations to provide that extra inside pressure.

DEFENSIVE END

CURRENT PLAYERS: Andre Carter, Phillip Daniels, Chris Wilson, Alex Buzbee, Demetric Evans, Tommy Davis, Kevin Huntley,

TN Analysis: Even with a great year by Carter, the Redskins tend to lack a significant pass rush. Sacks have seemed to be more of the coverage variety and the pressure on the QB was at times minimal to non-existant. This puts much more pressure on the back seven and even the best corners can cover WRs/TEs forever. Daniels, while still a great run stopper was not effective in pass pressure and has age/injury concerns. Marcus Washington and Chris Wilson combined for 9 sacks as a pass situational DE but Washington was injured and Wilson needs to improve. Evans is a solid depth player. Buzbee, Davis and Huntly will fight for a roster spot a depth.

Projected rounds: 1st-3rd, 5th

Possible Players:Calias Campbell, Lawrence Jackson, Quentin Groves, Chris Ellis

Conclusion: There is some good talent in this class, but I expect alot of it (possibly 4 players maybe more) to be gone by #21, thanks to the Giants winning the SB with their D-line. The Redskins may draft a lower round player to devlop while Chris Wilson continues to develop and share time with Washington and Daniels. The Skins seem high on Wilson and seemed to be more concerned at the DT position for pass rush than DE.

STs Bonus-

I don't expect the Skins to draft either a punter or kicker in the draft. I do expect the Skins to sign a UDFA in possibly both positions to push both Frost and Suisham and keep them fresh.

Also don't be suprised if the Skins look for a punt returner other than Randle-El since he struggled last year and would be most likely our #2 WR this season. Thrash or a late round WR, CB, RB could be a possiblity.

Great analysis. I have to agree with most of what you said.

For safety I would resign Vernon Staoutmire / Pierson Prioleau and draft a safety in the 2nd day to fill up the roster. The same would apply for linebacker since I think we have 5-6 solid linebackers but more youth would not hurt.

As for corner, I have to agree that we need a guy who could step up to be a nickel back throughout the first couple of weeks until Rogers is ready to come back and hope he can become a solid starter in the future. I would be looking at drafting one in the 3rd round (DeJuan Tribble, Chevis Jackson, Charles Godfrey, Tyvon Branch).

I feel like we must address the defensive line this year. At #21 I would love to pick Philip Merling if he were available but I wouldn't reach for Calais Campbell. I would not have any problem in selecting Kentawn Balmer if he were BPA. Also, if we could somehow trade down to the early 2nd the Skins should definitely take Lawrence Jackson who projects as a solid LDE. As for defensive tackle we should be looking at a pass-rushing DT in the 3rd/5th.

As for corner, I have to agree that we need a guy who could step up to be a nickel back throughout the first couple of weeks until Rogers is ready to come back and hope he can become a solid starter in the future. I would be looking at drafting one in the 3rd round (DeJuan Tribble, Chevis Jackson, Charles Godfrey, Tyvon Branch).

I like Branch in the 3rd as well as Josh Barrett.

Great job WD also...

Nice job WD! I basically agree with a few more options to consider:

Corner

2nd round: Reggie Smith, Oklahoma

Dline

3rd round: DE Kendall Langford, Hampton

5th round DE Brian Johnston, Gardner-Webb

6th round: DT Lionel Dotson, Arizona

They all look pretty good, I couldn't find much on Johnston.

• 4 weeks later...
I wouldnt be surprised if Xavier Adibi is taken in the 3rd round or so at OLB...especially if McIntosh is still not right come draft day and if there are any lingering concerns about Washington's health.

I seriously doubt Adibi will be available in the 3rd round, much less when we select. I think Adibi will be taken in the 2nd round.

Great analysis! I would consider giving this year's 2nd rounder for Lito Sheppard. He's still pretty young and knows the NFC East players and plays close to a Pro Bowl level. The only knock are his injuries. We need a good CB to eventually replace Springs. We would have Springs, Sheppard, Rogers, and Smoot. This would be a great back field. I would then use my 1st rounder on K. Phillips (S) to shore up the secondary. Use our two 3rds on OL and grab a DL with the 5th and use the 6th on a QB, and the three 7ths on LB's. I would trade next year's 1st for Chad Johnson after June 1st.

Excellent thread. I have been waiting on offense since you did the defense thread. Just like in that thread, with this thread I agree with a lot, and disagree with little. I think you have it pegged as far as our needs, and your draft order is correct based on what Cerrato has said are priority positions. I love threads like these, as I actually get to read more than one sentence, and the content actually informs.

If i am the GM of the Redskins this year, this is what i am looking for in the draft and from the undrafted free agent market

DT: A big 3-technique DT that can rush the passer or clog the line with his fat ass.

DE: Another rusher that can complement Carter and maybe gain significant playing time as a starter or 3rd down rusher.

LB: Hate to break it to you MW, you were not effective as you were when you first got here. You are a liability in the passing game as a LB. Need a LB to come in and can rotate in the SAM or WILL positions

SS: Reed can handle his job but i dont trust anyone like Fox and etc

CB: Besides the big 3, the only guy i like is Westbrook and we haven't seen him on the field. Springs is likely gonna and we might need another CB to assume the #1 role or we can fly by with someone if we can generate a better pass rush

Archived